Ronnie Coleman: The Unbelievable

Simply unbelievable

GOAT

No doubt. I remember hanging around the old Muscleman store out on Long Island in the late 90’s, and this tape (yes, a VHS tape!) was always playing on the mounted TV screen.

S

Here he was competing at around 280, there’s another vid of him called Ronnie coleman- First training video, on youtube where he competes around 250 and I think you can appreciate better the crazy structure he had. Nearly no waist and EVERYTHING popped

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
Here he was competing at around 280, there’s another vid of him called Ronnie coleman- First training video, on youtube where he competes around 250 and I think you can appreciate better the crazy structure he had. Nearly no waist and EVERYTHING popped[/quote]

Back when he waistline was still tight, the guy was just plain unbeatbale.

I forget what years exactly, but in interviews towards the end of his career (and after retiring), Ronnie always said that he preferred his earlier look than in later Olympia wins when he was closer to 300 lbs.

S

I forgot just how strong he was.

you know you are the GOAT when you can press 200lbs DBs on flat bench then do it after on an incline bench!

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
[/quote]
Back when he waistline was still tight, the guy was just plain unbeatbale. [/quote]

Ronnie is from my hometown in Louisiana and back in the day he would pop in and train at the gym every once in a while I guess he was in town visiting his family. His strength was mind blowing. Vickie Gates was with him one time. She was a freak too.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I forget what years exactly, but in interviews towards the end of his career (and after retiring), Ronnie always said that he preferred his earlier look than in later Olympia wins when he was closer to 300 lbs.

S[/quote]

Think when guys like Gunter, Nasser and Ruhl popped on the scene he didnt really have a choice.

I just find the concept of Ronnie Coleman incredible. Im not sure which pro it was, but someone was talking in an interview about how someone like Ronnie would never come into the sport in the modern day- someone with his gifts would be snapped up by an NFL team before they even thought about bodybuilding. Pretty interesting concept.

just came across this video.

he looked amazing IMO. I wonder how much he weighed on that video. I’m guessing around 220.

[quote]PC92 wrote:
I just find the concept of Ronnie Coleman incredible. Im not sure which pro it was, but someone was talking in an interview about how someone like Ronnie would never come into the sport in the modern day- someone with his gifts would be snapped up by an NFL team before they even thought about bodybuilding. Pretty interesting concept. [/quote]

Some food for thought - but it’s really tough to speculate if this would be the case or not. Yeah, I know he played at Grambling State in college - which is a fairly small program. Plus, as incredible as his gifts were for bodybuilding, it’s also not necessarily the same thing as assessing potential in the NFL.

The game has become so specialized today that having your arms INCHES shorter than another players’ as an offensive lineman can cost you several rounds in the draft (if you get drafted at all) and millions of dollars. The same goes with thousandths of a second in the 40-time, etc. I would have to believe that the NFL may perhaps be the most selective sports federations in the entire world.

Either way - this is all hypothetical babble - Ronnie was the man. :slight_smile:

[quote]PC92 wrote:
I just find the concept of Ronnie Coleman incredible. Im not sure which pro it was, but someone was talking in an interview about how someone like Ronnie would never come into the sport in the modern day- someone with his gifts would be snapped up by an NFL team before they even thought about bodybuilding. Pretty interesting concept. [/quote]

I couldn’t disagree more. What position would he have been snapped up to play? At 5’10, there are only a few useful traits. Speed can get you in the NFL. I’ve seen zero evidence that Ronnie can run. The other would be the ability to find holes and break tackles as a running back. Basically good instincts. Strength and muscularity at 5’10 won’t carry over to any position on the field. Too short to be OL, DL, DE, or TE, no evidence that he could play on the outside, obvi nothing he has translates to QB. So maybe if he was highly skilled… FB?

The guys you’re seeing now who don’t have a strong football background and are ending up in the NFL are guys that are uniquely athletic, huge, and fast. Often they’ll be unusually long as well.