Ronnie Coleman: The King (Movie)

This sprung up on my Netflix recommendations. 90 minutes, I can get the wife to watch strongman docos but I’m going to have to sneak this one in somehow…

Hopefully, it’s not in the middle of the night and hopefully I don’t get walked in on while there is a big oiled up dude in a gstring posing.

1 Like

Lol - I’ll definitely have to watch that one when I’m between sets at the gym. Wife and 4 year old son aren’t going to humor me for a full 90 minutes.

S

2 Likes

Watching it right now actually and just stumbled on this thread. I met Ronnie about 3 years ago at an inc 5000 event. He was there as part of his company, limping but not canes. Kind of pissed I lost the photo of the two of us hitting a most muscular wearing tuxes. Was one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

Halfway through. This documentary is hitting me hard in the feels. I would say it’s a very poorly made documentary and if you are not a fan of this stuff, it doesn’t make for good cinema. As a child of the 90’s who used to watch the Mr. O ppv on our illegal cable box, this is like watching a statue crumble. It’s sad.

I have not watched it yet, but I did see Shawn Ray had some very strong opinions on what Ronnie is doing to himself at this point

Shawn Ray is usually an ass, but he brings some pretty sobering realities to what Ronnie’s doing to himself.

S

Two things about it. One is that Shawn Ray seems like the typical self serving bias person throughout the documentary. I used to be a fan back in the day as I’m short but in the doc and lately he just seems like someone who has to put others down to justify to himself why he never won the big show.

Second, the doc is worth watching solely for Kevin Levrone’s impersonation of Ronnie Coleman. I won’t spoil it but there is one scene going back and forth with Ronnie and Kevin telling the same story that had me in stitches laughing.

1 Like

More about my comments on Ray. While
I’m sure he has valid points, my problem is his delivery. He can’t stay objective in it and has to end most of his points with “not worth it for me” or “if it were me”. When you overtly use the term “I” and “me” excessively, it is not longer about what the person did, it’s about you. Seems like he has a hard time seperating the two and wether intentional or not, he sounds petty.

In contrast listening to Jay Cutler talk on the same subject was enjoyable and seems like even though he didn’t agree with Ronnie’s methods, he respects the man and the acheivements despite the risks and fallout.

1 Like

I watched it. This is my third bodybuilding documentary. Pumping Iron I loved, Generation Iron I didn’t and this one I liked for what it is, a sobering message about the drawbacks of reckless training contrasted against the tremendous rewards that were reaped from it. I didn’t find it particularly entertaining, but it was very informative.

Not many people will ever be strong enough to do that to their body, let alone Ronnie Coleman strong, but how strong do you need to be and how long do you need to train heavy before you’re risking serious orthopedic damage and major quality of life issues down the line? This is something that’s been on my mind lately.

A bodybuilding acquaintance of mine just posted on social media the other day looking for workout partners. I don’t ever intend on being a bodybuilder, but I’m thinking about taking him up on it so I can learn firsthand some productive ways to lift that aren’t centered around barbell movements. He’s big on machines and cables, never goes heavy that I’ve seen, but has impressive results to show for it.

I’m getting close to the big four-oh and I’m as strong as I need to be. Maybe I should take the plunge…

3 Likes

Yes. Honestly, the myth that you have to do the big four to gain the maximum amount of muscle that you possibly can, needs to be stopped. Stronger, yes. But if you want pure bodybuilding, training with all or mostly free weights are not required, it also increase the chance of injury and stress the joints. Although, sometimes they can be helpful.

I trained using mostly machines, never used crazy heavy weights (the weight I used are pathetic you might think) but I got great results. I probably did back squats not more than 5 times in my entire training career, but my legs are bigger than guys who can squat 315 lbs (from lunges, leg presses, leg extension,hamstring curl, machine hack squat, etc). I’d probably break my back if you ask me to do a barbell squat with 135 lbs now.

But then every one is different, one might benefit more from extra heavy training and one might benefit more from light but controlled training. Find what works for you

2 Likes

Well, heavy training worked pretty well and I made it out the other side with no problems. It got me from a Homer Simpson body to a Derrick Lewis physique anyway. I’ve got no aspirations of bodybuilding, although losing more fat would obviously benefit me health and appearance wise.

My thoughts with training with this guy is to just get a new way to lift under my belt instead of doing a 5/3/1 type of workout every time I go to the gym now. He’s 15 years younger than me and assisted, but I’m not trying to look like him, either. I just want to hang on to the strength I have throughout my 40’s with the least possible wear and tear on my body while pursuing jiu jitsu with most of my training time and training capital.

A few years ago I wanted to be one of those guys still squatting 500+ and similar feats into my 50’s because it seemed so badass. It still seems badass, but I’m not sure that’s the kind of badass I’m after anymore. Is that type of training with those kind of poundages enough to screw someone up? I’m not sure, but I’m not too keen on finding out anymore.

Thanks for ruining my dreams, Ronnie Coleman!

No…No they are not.

If they are your gym sucks.

That was taken when I was on a 3 months trip, and wasn’t consistent with my workout. I specifically mentioned I lost some size and strength. But believe what you wanna believe, it is not my concern.

That was not my main point anyway. My main point was strength does not always correlate to size and that the belief of “heavier and/or free weight is always better” is wrong in the bodybuilding sense.

—hirohito out

1 Like

S

Here the thing I get the impression that Ronnie seemed to have kept pushing stuff after his career…

‘Coffee n vodka? You know I ain’t drinkin no alcohol’

Genius

1 Like

watched yesterday. Kept crying through my sleep.

i felt really bad when he said he takes 30 mg of painkiller every 4-5 hours or the pain comes back.

he looks like a very positive person though. he doesnt seem to give a shit about it too much because he still says he could have done 5 reps easily with the 800 pounds in the cost of redemption training video.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hold on did that say walked in? But…but?!?was this recent?

Yesterday. I’ll ask Arash when he’s back if it was with crutches or not. Still pretty cool seeing big Ron.

S

2 Likes