Ronda WTF

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
A pretty well-written article on post-fight Ronda:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/espnwrousey/in-exclusive-interview-ronda-rousey-says-not-losing-holly-holm[/quote]

Thanks for posting.

I love her quote about “do nothing bitches” - because I feel physically ill every time I see another article re: that certain family with the name “K”

The thing that really caught my eye was that Rousey is a -160 FAVORITE over Holm in their rematch. Some quick research confirmed that she is indeed hovering around -155 to -160 at most books (although the fight must occur before 12/16 for action).

This, ladies and gents, is pretty god damn telling stuff. Obviously, we’ll have to see how the market reacts as the inevitable rematch gets closer to taking place. But the fact she opened at -160 is interesting to say the least. [/quote]

I’m not even all the way through this article and I can tell you this - Ronda Rousey is a shattered fighter. Mentally, physically, and spiritually.

You’ll see her in the ring again, I bet, and she might even win once or twice. But she’ll never be the same. She’ll always be gun-shy, terrified to come in and risk the little she has left on skill she doesn’t have.

For all intents and purposes, this woman’s career is over.

Once more, good riddance. [/quote]

Agree completely.

[quote]HouseOfTulkas wrote:
I don’t know how I feel about the article. It seems like the writer expected her to win, wrote most of the article before the fight, but didn’t really bother to fix the tone of the piece upon Rousey’s loss.

Unfortunately it sounds like she didn’t really learn anything from the fight. Maybe she’ll correct some things once she gets healed up, but it doesn’t seem very likely. I think what I’m most disappointed in is that the only mention of Holm is in a negative light from the weigh-in. Regardless of whether or not she was off that night, she should at least acknowledge that Holm was the better fighter that night.[/quote]

Exactly right. You can’t lose a fight and walk away and not understand why you lost. The only way she can beat Holm in a rematch is to understand in fine detail why she lost and part of that is admitting that Holm was better than her that evening.

It doesn’t look like she’s changing trainers. Will she bring someone else in to help bolster her team? Will she actually be smart enough to bring in a wrestler, a take down expert to show her how to beat Holm, and get her to the ground?

If she doesn’t do that you will see almost the same fight as the first one. Rousey will never be able to out strike Holm. So, what is she to do? She can’t bully in and hip toss her she tried that and failed. She needs a new game plan one that offers her the opportunity to go in low as Randy Couture did against James Toney. As any fighter should do against a superior striker. We’ve all heard that most fights end on the ground, but all fights begin on the feet! This gives a superior striker a huge advantage if his opponent has no clue how to change the match from striking to grappling there are only so many punches that can be eaten before the fight is over.

If Rhonda doesn’t do this she will once again experience the same thing she did in the first fight and that is a really hard punch to the face early in the fight. And as anyone who knows anything about fighting will tell you one good punch to the head can turn a fight on a dime. Strategy goes out the window and you are suddenly in survival mode. Underestimating a good striker is a fools game. That bronze medal in Judo won’t stack up to someone who knows how to circle and strike with precision. So, she has to take that away from her and the only way to do it is to shoot low and take her to the ground.

I don’t think I would ever make Rhonda Rousey a favorite in a rematch. Not until or unless she hires that take down expert which will give her the only opportunity she has for beating Holm. Get her to the ground early, before any damage is done. Before Holm has the chance to knock her silly once again with one punch early on as she did in their first fight. Rousey must take her to the ground and then keep her on the ground until she can submit her or beat her into submission. Short of this happening you’ll see a repeat of the first fight with only slight variations.

Personally, I don’t think Rhonda Rousey will ever be the same fighter she was. Getting KO’d does more to your mind than it does to your body. There are those who can comeback no question. But, I don’t see Rousey as being one of those. She wanted to be the dominate bitch. She played that part in her life as well as in the cage. That is now gone and I doubt she will ever get it back. At least not the way Dana White is playing her. If she came back and fought a few fights won them and got her confidence back that might be another story. But Dana “The Manipulator” White sees dollar signs in a quick rematch, before Holm fights again and loses. And he doesn’t care if he flushes Rousey and her formerly great career down the toilet. He has surmised that there will be other Rousey’s perhaps even Holm will fit the bill. As long as his money making machine continues on so what if he loses Rousey. He’s that greedy and he’s that heartless.

My opinion, don’t bet on Rousey if her first fight back is against Holly Holm.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]HouseOfTulkas wrote:
I don’t know how I feel about the article. It seems like the writer expected her to win, wrote most of the article before the fight, but didn’t really bother to fix the tone of the piece upon Rousey’s loss.

Unfortunately it sounds like she didn’t really learn anything from the fight. Maybe she’ll correct some things once she gets healed up, but it doesn’t seem very likely. I think what I’m most disappointed in is that the only mention of Holm is in a negative light from the weigh-in. Regardless of whether or not she was off that night, she should at least acknowledge that Holm was the better fighter that night.[/quote]

Exactly right. You can’t lose a fight and walk away and not understand why you lost. The only way she can beat Holm in a rematch is to understand in fine detail why she lost and part of that is admitting that Holm was better than her that evening.

It doesn’t look like she’s changing trainers. Will she bring someone else in to help bolster her team? Will she actually be smart enough to bring in a wrestler, a take down expert to show her how to beat Holm, and get her to the ground?

If she doesn’t do that you will see almost the same fight as the first one. Rousey will never be able to out strike Holm. So, what is she to do? She can’t bully in and hip toss her she tried that and failed. She needs a new game plan one that offers her the opportunity to go in low as Randy Couture did against James Toney. As any fighter should do against a superior striker. We’ve all heard that most fights end on the ground, but all fights begin on the feet! This gives a superior striker a huge advantage if his opponent has no clue how to change the match from striking to grappling there are only so many punches that can be eaten before the fight is over.

If Rhonda doesn’t do this she will once again experience the same thing she did in the first fight and that is a really hard punch to the face early in the fight. And as anyone who knows anything about fighting will tell you one good punch to the head can turn a fight on a dime. Strategy goes out the window and you are suddenly in survival mode. Underestimating a good striker is a fools game. That bronze medal in Judo won’t stack up to someone who knows how to circle and strike with precision. So, she has to take that away from her and the only way to do it is to shoot low and take her to the ground.

I don’t think I would ever make Rhonda Rousey a favorite in a rematch. Not until or unless she hires that take down expert which will give her the only opportunity she has for beating Holm. Get her to the ground early, before any damage is done. Before Holm has the chance to knock her silly once again with one punch early on as she did in their first fight. Rousey must take her to the ground and then keep her on the ground until she can submit her or beat her into submission. Short of this happening you’ll see a repeat of the first fight with only slight variations.

Personally, I don’t think Rhonda Rousey will ever be the same fighter she was. Getting KO’d does more to your mind than it does to your body. There are those who can comeback no question. But, I don’t see Rousey as being one of those. She wanted to be the dominate bitch. She played that part in her life as well as in the cage. That is now gone and I doubt she will ever get it back. At least not the way Dana White is playing her. If she came back and fought a few fights won them and got her confidence back that might be another story. But Dana “The Manipulator” White sees dollar signs in a quick rematch, before Holm fights again and loses. And he doesn’t care if he flushes Rousey and her formerly great career down the toilet. He has surmised that there will be other Rousey’s perhaps even Holm will fit the bill. As long as his money making machine continues on so what if he loses Rousey. He’s that greedy and he’s that heartless.

My opinion, don’t bet on Rousey if her first fight back is against Holly Holm.

[/quote]

Like I said before, the article definitely has a pro-Rousey flavor to it. ESPN has their own agenda - otherwise why put her on the cover AFTER such a one-sided loss?

However, it wasn’t a straight Q&A piece. Maybe she did mention in the interview and either the writer or editor left it out. Or, she could still be in that grieving stage in which she’s too banged up physically, emotionally, psychologically to go into analysis.

First and foremost, she needs to get healed up. Then she can build a new team, watch tapes, fix flaws in her game.

At the same time, she absolutely needs to quietly work on an exit plan to movies and easy money.

Gina Carano did this AFTER getting her clocked cleaned by Cyborg. And although her film career didn’t exactly set the world on fire, as an unimpassioned observer, I concede that Rousey had reached a much higher level of fame prior to her loss than Gina did. So yeah, with the right people pulling the strings, I wouldn’t be surprised to see her do well in Hollywood.

Some guys here hate her guts. I understand that. A person like Rousey elicits strong emotions one way or the other.

As far as her being a favorite in the near-inevitable rematch, I can see why the books made such a move. I am surprised - very surprised - she opened as high as she did, anywhere from -160 to -190, so early after the first fight, when there’s not much inside info on either her or Holm. A more realistic number, factoring in things like the halo effect, imo would’ve been -135 to -140. And I still believe the line will go DOWN in time (unless Holm fights someone else first and things don’t go well for her).

I told Irish earlier I don’t care either way who wins but, for me, if I see a weakness to exploit…well, I’m a little more interested.

If there is one thing i love about the board here, its the modesty. With so many folks noticing at the weigh-in that Ronda was out of shape, and so many folks knowing that her coaches don’t know a damn thing, and so many folks knowing that she’s just a blow hard and a hyped up phony created by the media you all must have absolutely cashed in big time on the fight. I mean what were the odds like 11-1 or higher. A lot of you guys must be retired now, knowing what you knew you must have bet every penny you could get your hands on or borrow. But your all so modest, and obviously don’t want to hurt the feelings of the rest of us who didn’t see it coming a mile away like you did, so you haven’t rubbed our noses in it with just much you all made. Not one of you. Priceless. The modesty here is simple priceless. Lucky rich bastards.

LB

[quote]LBramble wrote:
If there is one thing i love about the board here, its the modesty. With so many folks noticing at the weigh-in that Ronda was out of shape, and so many folks knowing that her coaches don’t know a damn thing, and so many folks knowing that she’s just a blow hard and a hyped up phony created by the media you all must have absolutely cashed in big time on the fight. I mean what were the odds like 11-1 or higher. A lot of you guys must be retired now, knowing what you knew you must have bet every penny you could get your hands on or borrow. But your all so modest, and obviously don’t want to hurt the feelings of the rest of us who didn’t see it coming a mile away like you did, so you haven’t rubbed our noses in it with just much you all made. Not one of you. Priceless. The modesty here is simple priceless. Lucky rich bastards.

LB[/quote]

Not for nothin, but you’re on the wrong ship for that kind of talk. There’s no armchair-experts here … almost all the regular posters are either amateur or professional fighters, coaches, soldiers, or guys who just train this shit like motherfuckers for years and years. And you pick some shit up when you’re around this game long enough, and that’s why people with some experience weren’t shocked when Rousey got the shit knocked out of her.

Roger Mayweather’s right when he says most people don’t know shit about boxing … but really, you can expand that out to fighting in general. So don’t be so butthurt when guys who DO know about fighting make you feel a little inferior because you bought the bullshit.

Also, it’s “you’re.” As in, “YOU’RE all so modest.” Not “your.”

I hate to repeat myself but ZEB, please answer me why arranging a Ronda-Holly rematch would be the correct course to milk those rowdy udders?
Surely the avaricious UFC brass knows that in order to rebuild their cash cow properly, it should be done slowly and deliberately?
The out-of-shape Judoka has a long way to go to beat her now-Nemesis.
Why not give her the time and confidence to execute a decent gameplan?

The monopolist isn’t perfect, but tis not the matchups we should be dissapointed with.
In that regard, the UFC usually delivers.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
I hate to repeat myself but ZEB, please answer me why arranging a Ronda-Holly rematch would be the correct course to milk those rowdy udders?
Surely the avaricious UFC brass knows that in order to rebuild their cash cow properly, it should be done slowly and deliberately?

The monopolist isn’t perfect, but tis not the matchups we should be dissapointed with.
In that regard, the UFC usually delivers.[/quote]

The UFC delivers on occasion. But, they will never fully deliver for many reasons. I won’t repeat them here because I don’t want to sound like a broken record.

To directly answer your question. The UFC does not care about bringing Rousey back to her full capacity, even if it were possible. All they care about now is a giant money making rematch.

Here’s why…

They have two careers to juggle. First the champion Holly Holm. If Rousey does not fight her soon…very soon. She would have to take another fight to keep the fans happy. Now what do you suppose would happen if she took another fight before the Rousey rematch? Right…we don’t know do we? And that is exactly what Dana White is worried about. The Great Manipulator loves to make sure in advance who is going to win for obvious reasons. She might Tate or someone else with really good wrestling and be taken to the ground and beaten. And we all know that would be the end of the big rematch so that’s not going to happen. In fact, I predict that she will not fight anyone before the big rematch with Rhonda Rousey. Anyone care to bet me?

similarly what if Rhonda comes back and fights someone else other than Holm and loses? Once again there goes the big money rematch that Dana “The Manipulator” White lusts for

Keep in mind it’s not about Rousey anymore. Dana White couldn’t care less about Rhonda Rousey and her career. He has another womans cash cow (for now) that must be protected her name is Holley Holm.

In fact, there are many other examples of this scenario playing out with other champions who have lost in the past. One example in 2012 Anderson Silva a long time Dana White cash cow lost to Chris Wideman. What did Dana White do? He made sure neither fighter had another fight until they met each other a second time.

Chris Wideman fought Anderson Silva in June of 2013, after defeating him he fought NO ONE until there was a rematch in December of that same year. Exactly six months after he beat him the first time. Was Silva hot to fight him the second time? Hell No! But it was not up to him as he is owned by Dana White and company (the UFC contracts are one sided nightmares.). Dana saw big money in the rematch so he made sure that neither fighter fought anyone until they met once again in the Octagon for the big money.

The same scenario will play out with Rousey and Holm. Neither fighter will fight anyone else until they meet once again to assure Dana “The Manipulator” White a huge pay day. And this will probably happen well before Rousey is ready. As Irish wisely mentioned Rhonda Rousey should have a couple of tune up fights to get her confidence back and brush up on her ring skills. But, that won’t happen. What if she loses? Bye, bye big money rematch.

Dana White also knows that Rousey coming back and beating Holm is a longer shot than most think. So, he takes the immediate huge gate and laughs all the way to the bank. Flushing his former cash cow down the drain and hailing a new champion. He then begins to get the hype machine going on Holy Holm. Who is also capable of doing one other thing that White loves, keeping the fight on the feet for more glorious knock outs. After Holm defeats Rousey a second time there will be a list of cans that Holm will knock out in glorious fashion and voila the story begins anew, he has another cash cow!

That’s why you won’t see McGregor, a really good stand up fighter. go against anyone who can take him down and beat him on the ground. He is going to milk McGregor for everything that he’s worth. There are hundreds of millions of dollars to be made riding the back of McGregor and Dana White is going to revel in riding the McGregor horse all the way to the bank as many times as he possibly can. But…when that eventual day comes when someone does beat McGregor, and keep in mind it is Dana White’s job to forestall that eventuality for as long as possible he will make sure that neither fighter fight anyone else until there is a rematch first.

This man has the money making end of the mma fight game down to a science. People mean nothing careers mean nothing it is all about Dana and company cashing in on the backs of the fighters.

To you fanboys…you can love MMA, I love it to. But, know this the UFC is not good for the sport in any way shape or form (yes they once were for certain). And all of you should do all you can to help promote other organizations. Hopefully one day one of them will rise up and be powerful enough to hire a few stars away from the UFC, or build up their own fighters and then real MMA will return to us once again.

Hopefully this explains my position to your satisfaction.

Zeb

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

In that regard, the UFC usually delivers.[/quote]

I would normally agree with this - all great boxers coming off a KO have a couple tuneup fights before they get back in with serious competition so they can rebuild their confidence. Hatton after Mayweather on his way to Pacquaio, for example. Low risk fights where they know they’ll be able to get off first and do what they wanna do without having to worry about a heavy puncher or superior technician embarrassing them.

That being said, once you get severely knocked out you’ve probably lost a good bit of your chin going forward, and it’s going to be far easier to get KO’d again. So maybe White is fearful that if trashy gets knocked out in her comeback fight against a nobody, the chances for a big money rematch with Holm will crumble with trash’s career.

Yeah, DW is making sure he gets the payday for the rematch. Sort of the One in the bag is worth two in the bush concept.

What are you guys expecting from Ronda in 207?

My gut tells me she will come in out of shape, unprepared, get the sh*t kicked out of her and 207 will be the end of her career. Obviously I hope I’m wrong since she makes things interesting. Also, I think she’s pretty and I like pretty girls to stay that way.

I hate that she is getting a title shot personally. She got owned by Holm and hasn’t fought since. IMO she needs to earn a title shot, not be gifted one simply to try to capitalize on her name. So I hope she get’s KO’d and retires for good or gets serious, cleans up her game, and has a rebirth in the sport as a better fighter and person.

Actually, my dream scenario is for Nunes to have to pull out at the last minute (minor injury but that requires rest or surgery for instance) and for them to have to drop Cyborg in to replace her. Then Cyborg mauls Ronda and she retires for good.

1 Like

QFT.

Trashy is my least favorite athlete ever.

Ever, ever, ever.

Ever.

1 Like