T Nation

Ronda WTF

I now see my skill of picking adverb or adjective isn’t what I thought it was hahahaha

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
is a part of a realistic fight.
[/quote]

In a real fight, the worst thing that can happen is taking it to the ground, losing situational awareness and being kicked/hit/stabbed by on lookers.

god bless holly holm[/quote]

That would depend on the circumstances of the fight right?

In certain situations you would never choose to take someone to the ground. But, in a one on one confrontation, being the superior grappler, that is the exact place you would take a fight.

There is a time and a place for everything. What Holly Holm proved is that you always strike at the point of your opponents biggest weakness. I too loved that fight. But it was not because a striker beat a Judo player. It was because a smart fighter beat a stupid one. Rousey had the opportunity to bring in the best take down artists in wrestling and chose not to. That means she was stupid. It doesn’t mean that striking beats grappling. In fact, there is no argument for one being better than the other. A well rounded MMA fighter needs both. Rhonda proved she was not very well rounded.

If your good at judo throws believe me when some ones head hits the solid floor without a mat to cushion the blow a lot of damage can be done…keep in mind when you throw someone you don’t have to go to the ground yourself so you would still be on your feet.

[quote]tredaway wrote:
If your good at judo throws believe me when some ones head hits the solid floor without a mat to cushion the blow a lot of damage can be done…keep in mind when you throw someone you don’t have to go to the ground yourself so you would still be on your feet.[/quote]

I could not agree with you more. Judo is a great Martial Art. It has been proven through the ages. Also, Rhonda Rousey has had some tremendous success by bullying in and hip tossing her opponents to the ground. But, when you are facing a skilled striker trying to bully in and hip toss can lead to disaster as was proven by the Rousey/Holm fight. She needed a really good single or double leg take down taught to her by a competent wrestler. Will she go this route next time? If she doesn’t she will lose again in a similar fashion.

I agree,one thing that’s for sure if she tries to out box a world class champion boxer who’s left handed too then the result will be the same, I hope she learns from this mistake if she does make a come back.

I doubt that she will, but I’d really like to see her switch camps. Despite her lack of good instruction in recent years and the shallow pool of female fighters in the division, I think that Ronda is still a good athlete and a great fighter.

Imagine what she would be able to do if she went to a camp known for striking and actually went through some decent strength and conditioning as opposed to what she has been doing. I know her knees are in question, but I think that a decent strength program would do more good than harm. Of course, it’s all conjecture dependent on whether or not she decides to return to fighting.

All this talk of whether or not she returns to fighting is pretty funny. Do you honestly think that Dana The “Great Manipulator” White would ever allow her to retire at this point in time? She has signed her life away to this man. She MUST fight again…and probably again after that whether she wins or loses. White would never allow one of his cash cows to leave the pasture. He’s far too greedy for that.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
All this talk of whether or not she returns to fighting is pretty funny. Do you honestly think that Dana The “Great Manipulator” White would ever allow her to retire at this point in time? She has signed her life away to this man. She MUST fight again…and probably again after that whether she wins or loses. White would never allow one of his cash cows to leave the pasture. He’s far too greedy for that.[/quote]

I agree. We see this all the time in boxing - it’s a movie that’s been made a couple times, if you know what I mean.

What I see is her coming back next year against an opponent tailor-made to make her look good and restore her self-confidence. How she performs against said opponent will dictate the rest of her career - if she has one.

She could come back and impress, setting her up for a few more big fights that could earn a lot of cash. Or she could get the brakes beat off her, and the tragic career of the trailer-park princess will end in carnage.

One is as likely as the other, in my opinion.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
All this talk of whether or not she returns to fighting is pretty funny. Do you honestly think that Dana The “Great Manipulator” White would ever allow her to retire at this point in time? She has signed her life away to this man. She MUST fight again…and probably again after that whether she wins or loses. White would never allow one of his cash cows to leave the pasture. He’s far too greedy for that.[/quote]

It happened with GSP. I’m not saying Dana White would be happy if she left, but Rousey still has other options outside of fighting even with the loss. She’s said that she’ll be back, but a few months away from fighting and all of the drama that’s recently surrounded her might change her mind.

I happen to agree with Irish; what’s most likely is that she’ll come back and work toward the title. It all depends on whether or not Dana wants to build her back up with a few fights or cash out with the rematch, though.

[quote]HouseOfTulkas wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

It happened with GSP. I’m not saying Dana White would be happy if she left, but Rousey still has other options outside of fighting even with the loss. She’s said that she’ll be back, but a few months away from fighting and all of the drama that’s recently surrounded her might change her mind.

I happen to agree with Irish; what’s most likely is that she’ll come back and work toward the title. It all depends on whether or not Dana wants to build her back up with a few fights or cash out with the rematch, though.[/quote]

GSP was at the end of his contract he was taking it fight by fight and was aloud to do so which is very rare in the land of The Great Manipulator. But, GSP had a team outside of the UFC representing him (that too is rare). Rhonda Rousey is owned by Dana White she has no choice but to fight again.

And yes Dana may put her in an easy fight to get her confidence back up, or he may just put her up against Holm again. It is his decision to make and Rousey has absolutely NO SAY in the matter. The Great Manipulator decides all fights and tries as hard as he can to determine all outcomes as well. And he gets his way about 90% of the time when it comes to who he wants to win.

To think anything less is naïve.

So, what’s the most interesting scenario going forward?

I think it’s a forgone conclusion that Ronda will be out for the next 7 months. I also think it would be a bad financial move for Dana to match Ronda with Holly at UFC 200. It would be a great draw but it would be the equivalent of premature ejaculation. Regardless of the outcome (but especially if Ronda got destroyed again) the sport would lose out on a lot of potential intrigue.

The best plan I can come up with would be to have Holly fight Tate in 3-4 months, then at UFC 200 have a card with Rousey v Zingano rematch and Holm v Cyborg with a (presumed) plan for Rousey to take on the winner a few months later.

The problem with my dream scenario here is Cyborg making weight. I saw a YouTube interview with Cyborg and Meisha standing side by side and Cyborg absolutely towered over Cupcake (my nick name for Tate, btw, is Wet Dream). Considering how shredded Cyborg is when she fights, she would have to give up a hell of a lot of muscle to make weight at 135. I now kinda think she’s not just bull shitting when she says she can’t make 135.

Weight issue aside, I kinda think it would be easier to put together a Holm Cyborg card. Holly is a lot more amenable than Ronda and a lot less likely to induce Cyborg’s camp into hardball mode.

[quote]on edge wrote:
The problem with my dream scenario here is Cyborg making weight. I saw a YouTube interview with Cyborg and Meisha standing side by side and Cyborg absolutely towered over Cupcake (my nick name for Tate, btw, is Wet Dream). Considering how shredded Cyborg is when she fights, she would have to give up a hell of a lot of muscle to make weight at 135. I now kinda think she’s not just bull shitting when she says she can’t make 135.[/quote]

I tend to agree. Steroid use aside, Cyborg is just a big lady. She fights a lean 145 at 5’8". She has an inch height, and three inch reach advantage over Rhonda. You look at her, and she just carries her weight differently. The stigma of steroids in her past will unfortunately haunt her and be the goto for her opponents. But even if she had no history, I think she will struggle to make 135.

A pretty well-written article on post-fight Ronda:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Thanks for posting.

I love her quote about “do nothing bitches” - because I feel physically ill every time I see another article re: that certain family with the name “K”

The thing that really caught my eye was that Rousey is a -160 FAVORITE over Holm in their rematch. Some quick research confirmed that she is indeed hovering around -155 to -160 at most books (although the fight must occur before 12/16 for action).

This, ladies and gents, is pretty god damn telling stuff. Obviously, we’ll have to see how the market reacts as the inevitable rematch gets closer to taking place. But the fact she opened at -160 is interesting to say the least.

I don’t know how I feel about the article. It seems like the writer expected her to win, wrote most of the article before the fight, but didn’t really bother to fix the tone of the piece upon Rousey’s loss.

Unfortunately it sounds like she didn’t really learn anything from the fight. Maybe she’ll correct some things once she gets healed up, but it doesn’t seem very likely. I think what I’m most disappointed in is that the only mention of Holm is in a negative light from the weigh-in. Regardless of whether or not she was off that night, she should at least acknowledge that Holm was the better fighter that night.

[quote]HouseOfTulkas wrote:
I don’t know how I feel about the article. It seems like the writer expected her to win, wrote most of the article before the fight, but didn’t really bother to fix the tone of the piece upon Rousey’s loss.

Unfortunately it sounds like she didn’t really learn anything from the fight. Maybe she’ll correct some things once she gets healed up, but it doesn’t seem very likely. I think what I’m most disappointed in is that the only mention of Holm is in a negative light from the weigh-in. Regardless of whether or not she was off that night, she should at least acknowledge that Holm was the better fighter that night.[/quote]

Definitely a pro-Rousey angle to it. Look whose on ESPN’s cover. They have their agenda-like everyone involved.

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Thanks for posting.

I love her quote about “do nothing bitches” - because I feel physically ill every time I see another article re: that certain family with the name “K”

The thing that really caught my eye was that Rousey is a -160 FAVORITE over Holm in their rematch. Some quick research confirmed that she is indeed hovering around -155 to -160 at most books (although the fight must occur before 12/16 for action).

This, ladies and gents, is pretty god damn telling stuff. Obviously, we’ll have to see how the market reacts as the inevitable rematch gets closer to taking place. But the fact she opened at -160 is interesting to say the least. [/quote]

I’m not even all the way through this article and I can tell you this - Ronda Rousey is a shattered fighter. Mentally, physically, and spiritually.

You’ll see her in the ring again, I bet, and she might even win once or twice. But she’ll never be the same. She’ll always be gun-shy, terrified to come in and risk the little she has left on skill she doesn’t have.

For all intents and purposes, this woman’s career is over.

Once more, good riddance.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Thanks for posting.

This, ladies and gents, is pretty god damn telling stuff. Obviously, we’ll have to see how the market reacts as the inevitable rematch gets closer to taking place. But the fact she opened at -160 is interesting to say the least. [/quote]

I’m not even all the way through this article and I can tell you this - Ronda Rousey is a shattered fighter. Mentally, physically, and spiritually.

You’ll see her in the ring again, I bet, and she might even win once or twice. But she’ll never be the same. She’ll always be gun-shy, terrified to come in and risk the little she has left on skill she doesn’t have.

Once more, good riddance. [/quote]

You very well could be right. And Vegas favorites do lose; otherwise all we need to do slap down some benjamins on anyone or any team priced -130 or above.

At the same time, bookies ain’t dumb. And mma has been around long enough now and the lines are much sharper.

Is Rousey washed up? Or does she have another ‘fuck you’ moment in her? Time will tell.

I don’t care either way (although I do find Holm more likeable).

I just find it interesting she opened around -160 and will be keeping an eye on this.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Thanks for posting.

You very well could be right. And Vegas favorites do lose; otherwise all we need to do slap down some benjamins on anyone or any team priced -130 or above.

At the same time, bookies ain’t dumb. And mma has been around long enough now and the lines are much sharper.

Is Rousey washed up? Or does she have another ‘fuck you’ moment in her? Time will tell.

I just find it interesting she opened around -160 and will be keeping an eye on this.[/quote]

Absolutely agree.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Thanks for posting.

I just find it interesting she opened around -160 and will be keeping an eye on this.[/quote]

Absolutely agree. [/quote]

You are right, though. After a beating like the one she took, I wouldn’t blame her for being scared at her own shadow. If she’s smart, she should be working on an exit plan to Hollywood and obscene paychecks.

The -160 opener just shocked me damn near off my chair! Now that I think about it, as the rematch draws near, there’s a chance it’ll get bought down to around -120 or less.

I’ll wait and see how the market reacts, see if it’s the squares or the sharps moving the line, and go from there.

EDIT:
Did a little more research and she opened at -190(!) at another book on November 15th and has since been bought down to -160.