Ronda WTF

[quote]Silyak wrote:
It wouldn’t have done any good for Rousey to stop chasing. Holm is a better striker with better reach. Rousey needs to close to win. If Rousey stops moving then Holm gets to choose the distance and she can keep the fight at a longer striking distance.

Rousey’s only hope was to close, take the fight to the ground, and win there. It seemed to me that Holm was well prepared for this, both with takedown defense and submission defense in the clinch and on the ground.

Rousey was a big fish in a small pond and the pond just got a little bigger. Talking about most dominant or GOAT was always ridiculous. [/quote]

Agreed, and that’s why her shitty boxing coach - who always creepily looked like he just wanted to bang her - is a shitty boxing coach. Getting inside is a skill all its own, one that he clearly could not teach.

Doesn’t matter whether you’re shooting for a takedown or looking to close distance to set up power shots, you MUST move behind your jab with a good amount of head movement, whether it’s side-to-side like Tyson or Patterson or up-and-down like Frazier. It’s boxing 101.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Damn you guys are really going in on her. I don’t think she talked any more than Floyd, and it got her the attention and money no woman fighter has ever really had.
[/quote]

I understand you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do when you’re promoting a fight, trash-talking and all that shit.

But talking shit to an opponent you just KO’d - that’s ugly. Not touching gloves beforehand because you’re busy trying to intimidate with your chimp-glare - that’s ugly. Those are not things that sell fights - they’re little glimpses into major personality flaws.

I respect all fighters. Fighters should respect all fighters. If you don’t - as she doesn’t - you deserve to be put out of the game.

Regardless of what y’all think of Ronda (as a person or a fighter), I think we can all agree that she desperately needs a new coach.

“I wouldn’t say in the striking game she was getting the best of Ronda, you know, but I have to watch it again. But we know this was not a striking match; we know that Ronda is smart enough to take the fight where she is best at and today she did.” - Edmond Tarverdyan

I think the hype machine really got into ronda’s head. I think the reason a lot of people are “going in on her” as you say airtruth, is because outside of the media, I don’t think most of the fans really like her all that much.

I didn’t like Ronda much from the get go, the way she conducted herself on the ultimate fighter and ever since, its just been getting worse and worse.

Mainly I think that her coaching team is terrible. That little armenian creep doesn’t seem to know what hes doing, and his attitude has rubbed off on her. Seriously what coach worth their salt sits on an olympian in their gym for months? He didn’t even realize what he had in his stable until the going was already good. To say nothing of the seriously bizarre advice he gave her during the fight, he was literally the “hands up! jab more!” guy lol.

The main pleasure i get out of this outcome though, is not having to listen to Joe Rogan’s dumb ass blubber about how amazing ronda is as a human being and talking about her “elite” level striking (lol). It was getting weird there for a while, he’d start crying every time he talked to her.

[quote]HouseOfTulkas wrote:
Regardless of what y’all think of Ronda (as a person or a fighter), I think we can all agree that she desperately needs a new coach.

“I wouldn’t say in the striking game she was getting the best of Ronda, you know, but I have to watch it again. But we know this was not a striking match; we know that Ronda is smart enough to take the fight where she is best at and today she did.” - Edmond Tarverdyan[/quote]

LOL Are you sure that quote wasn’t from a skit they did on Saturday Night Live after the fight?

If not, holy cow, yeah he needs to go back and watch that fight. Or, maybe he doesn’t count it as a striking match if the striking is one way. I’m really blown away by that quote. I bet if you broke that fight down into 5 second increments, Ronda didn’t win even one increment.

I don’t know anything about Edmond Tarverdyan but if he’s a creepster as someone stated above, maybe he was eying some hotties in the crowd instead of watching the fight?

I for one was happy to see Ronda lose. So arrogant. I think she actually believed all the hype around her when they’ve been feeding her cans since Tate (no offence to those other fighters intended the division just isn’t very deep).

One thing i noticed is that Ronda looked like a person who had done absolutely no training to fight a lefty. She kept walking into that lead left like she didn’t even see it coming, watch for the lead left is basics for fighting a southpaw. Anyways, it is what it is, a world champ like Holly will always make other strikers look even worse than they are. At least we won’t have to hear people call Ronda’s striking world class anymore.

For the record (as if it’s not obvious since the only time I ever come in her is to talk Ronda) I fucking love Ronda. I think she’s a total bitch but she’s the kind of bitch I dig.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

The main pleasure i get out of this outcome though, is not having to listen to Joe Rogan’s dumb ass blubber about how amazing ronda is as a human being and talking about her “elite” level striking (lol). It was getting weird there for a while, he’d start crying every time he talked to her.[/quote]

Joe Rogan: “It is a pleasure to breath the same air and live on the same planet as you Rhonda you are my God.”

Okay he didn’t go that far but man oh man are you ever spot on with your comments. I really couldn’t take even one more ass kissing from Rogan to Rhonda.

I enjoyed how hard Dana White was trying to cover up how shocked and royally pissed he was.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
I enjoyed how hard Dana White was trying to cover up how shocked and royally pissed he was.[/quote]

Definitely. You know that fight screwed up his plans for UFC 200, as well as any plans immediately after. Even the post-fight press conference was a little shorter than usual.

As far as reactions go, Rogan’s is still my favorite.

I don’t know what she’s like in person, but I think a lot of the bad girl stuff was just there to hype fights. People love to hate a villain. Connor McGregor was wise enough to figure that one out. Love her, or hate her…Ronda’s defeat has people talking. That is making Dana White a very happy man.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
I enjoyed how hard Dana White was trying to cover up how shocked and royally pissed he was.[/quote]

That was the most pleasurable moment of the post fight for me. The manipulator lost a big one.

I don’t know why he’d be pissed. If Ronda had won she would have pretty much run out of opponents, not counting Cyborg. With that the PPV dollars would start going down. Dana is going to going on in on her road to redemption. If you think this PPV made money, just wait till the rematch. Dana’s going to build this up like it’s Ali vs Frazier

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:

One thing i noticed is that Ronda looked like a person who had done absolutely no training to fight a lefty. She kept walking into that lead left like she didn’t even see it coming, watch for the lead left is basics for fighting a southpaw. Anyways, it is what it is, a world champ like Holly will always make other strikers look even worse than they are. At least we won’t have to hear people call Ronda’s striking world class anymore. [/quote]

Almost every time Holly got her right foot oustide of Rhonda’s left foot, Holly’s straight left came right down the pipe. Guess Rhonda’s coach didn’t tell her about foot placement when fighting a lefty.

[quote]cire13 wrote:
I don’t know why he’d be pissed. If Ronda had won she would have pretty much run out of opponents, not counting Cyborg. With that the PPV dollars would start going down. Dana is going to going on in on her road to redemption. If you think this PPV made money, just wait till the rematch. Dana’s going to build this up like it’s Ali vs Frazier[/quote]

Because he had a franchise with Rhonda Rousey. She really was the first MMA fighter that transcended the sport itself. Every time she did a movie, a TV show or any sort of endorsement Dana White and “the brothers” Got a percentage, and a large percentage at that. Now that she lost and shown herself to be not so invincible it harms her earning potential which in turn harms Dana White’s earning potential. He wanted her to be undefeated for many, many more fights. He wanted to squeeze every penny out of her before he put her up against someone who actually had close to an even chance to beat her.

Because all that Dana White cares about is the dollar bill! That’s why he literally made Anderson Silva comeback as quickly as possible to fight Chris Wideman…you saw what happened. Anderson Silva was another golden goose, not as nearly as big a money maker as Rousey but still important. He looked sick after Wideman knocked him out in their first fight. He didn’t act as sad after Wideman beat him a second time. All White wants to do is suck every last dollar out of his stars nothing else matter to him.

Now all of that is gone. The likelihood of Rousey coming back and defeating Holly is not good, at least not in the short term. And he is losing money. Yes, the rematch will make a ton of money. But, if Dana White had gotten his way and Rhonda had won, Rhonda vs. anyone else would also have made a ton of money and he would also have not lost out on the invincibility factor that Rhonda brought to the UFC, all the endorsements all of the attention from outside the relatively small world (compared to mainstream sports) of MMA.

Rhonda Rousey losing was Dana Whites (the great manipulator) worst nightmares.

how come that cyborg has the gall to mock ronda rousey?

she tested positive for anabolic steroids from what I read.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]cire13 wrote:
I don’t know why he’d be pissed. If Ronda had won she would have pretty much run out of opponents, not counting Cyborg. With that the PPV dollars would start going down. Dana is going to going on in on her road to redemption. If you think this PPV made money, just wait till the rematch. Dana’s going to build this up like it’s Ali vs Frazier[/quote]

Because he had a franchise with Rhonda Rousey. She really was the first MMA fighter that transcended the sport itself. Every time she did a movie, a TV show or any sort of endorsement Dana White and “the brothers” Got a percentage, and a large percentage at that. Now that she lost and shown herself to be not so invincible it harms her earning potential which in turn harms Dana White’s earning potential. He wanted her to be undefeated for many, many more fights. He wanted to squeeze every penny out of her before he put her up against someone who actually had close to an even chance to beat her.

Because all that Dana White cares about is the dollar bill! That’s why he literally made Anderson Silva comeback as quickly as possible to fight Chris Wideman…you saw what happened. Anderson Silva was another golden goose, not as nearly as big a money maker as Rousey but still important. He looked sick after Wideman knocked him out in their first fight. He didn’t act as sad after Wideman beat him a second time. All White wants to do is suck every last dollar out of his stars nothing else matter to him.

Now all of that is gone. The likelihood of Rousey coming back and defeating Holly is not good, at least not in the short term. And he is losing money. Yes, the rematch will make a ton of money. But, if Dana White had gotten his way and Rhonda had won, Rhonda vs. anyone else would also have made a ton of money and he would also have not lost out on the invincibility factor that Rhonda brought to the UFC, all the endorsements all of the attention from outside the relatively small world (compared to mainstream sports) of MMA.

Rhonda Rousey losing was Dana Whites (the great manipulator) worst nightmares. [/quote]

That’s exactly it. And the UFC isn’t doing great now - the fact that a female fighter fighting nobodies was their main draw (their sole draw, really) speaks to that.

What’s he supposed to do now that the golden goose got kicked in the teeth?

I hate when I agree with you Zeb, even though on matters of fighting I often do.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
how come that cyborg has the gall to mock ronda rousey?

she tested positive for anabolic steroids from what I read.

[/quote]

There’s been some contention between them for a while, especially over the past few months. Whether it was natural or company induced is another matter. Honestly, I think that’s why Dana was upset over Rousey losing to Holm. If Rousey had won, imagine what they would have been able to do from a revenue standpoint with an undefeated Rousey vs. Cyborg matchup in UFC 200. Dana even mentioned having to change plans regarding a possible Cyborg fight during the post-fight press conference.

Even Dana was really interesting in her not losing he would have scheduled her to fight Meisha Tate again. Even if Ronda had won she was probably going to take at least a year off. She is shooting a movie called ‘Mile 22’ and then Road House, and I believe there are a couple of more in the pipeline. It’s not like the cash cow has somehow died with her loss. I will argue that there is more money to make now. People like a good comeback story. Dana was going to lose her to Hollywood probably sooner than later anyway If she had won, she could easily walk away from fighting. I think now there is a reason for her to comeback.

Holm is a product of a changing era.From a financial standpoint I can understand the UFC is doing bad: a lot of the old-school stars are decline or retired. The Anderson Silva’s, Forrest Griffin’s and Rich Franklin’s are not the defining the landscape anymore. Even guys as Shogun, Rampage and Overeem Lesnar are gone. They had unbelievable name power and brought a devoted fanbase. Some because they were legit technicians, some because they were more than happy to put every ounce of hearth in, more concerned with finishing than staying keeping their face in allignment.

The new generation is (or what I see as new not nearly as accomplished. Mcgregor (well, he got a fanbase going), Weidman, Dillashaw and Miocic are pretty fresh and lack the unwaivering fanbase, that bring the dollars. Hell, even Lawler lacks recognition despite being in here for ages!

From a technical standpoint, I am freakin’ stoked!
Silva was just waiting to be figured out by a patient man, Griffin and Franklin would probably not do nearly as good in todays game. Shogun was hearted an relentless, just as Rampage, but not skilled beyond most journeyman today. Lesnar…well, I don’t want to meet him in a dark alley for sure, but he wasn’t the pinnacle of grit and style…

The young dogs are wizards! Dillashaw has been stepping up his game faster than I can understand, and feels like a brilliant mobile wrestle-dutch kickboxer. Mcgregor can be a demonic leprechaun, but in the cage, he is worth a textbook in style. How he is in constant change. The whole package makes me feel as if I had the privilege of being in the Ali-age.
Miocic is getting sharper by the day. When Professor Layton takes of his top hat, his name is Weidman. Don’t get me even started on Ruthless.

Holm beating Ronda is just another example of showing this game is more than attitude. The first (preacher’s) daughter of the next generation.

Too bad fans are not catching up that fast. Luckily there is a bunch of gifted analysts comming up. Maybe MMA can turn into a sport where fans embrace the technical aspects far more than how intense some guys look at eachother at a dehydratation contest.