T Nation

Ronda WTF

I saw a clip of the weigh-in and thought Ronda looked a little out of shape.

Now after seeing the highlights of the fight I know she was way out of shape. Did you see how plump her butt was and how her tummy was hanging over a bit? It sure didn't take her long to get winded either. So I have to ask, how could she be so stupid to not take the fight seriously?

I also have to ask how she could have been stupid enough to let the fight go back to the feet once it went down to the mat? I didn't see the fight so maybe the answer is she didn't have a choice in the matter but it seems to me the best female grappler on the planet would be able to keep an opponent down. Even if she is in shit for shape.

The big question now is will she be able to come back? She burns so hot with intensity it won't surprise me if this is too much for her to handle. I could see her pulling a post Ali George Foreman.

Okay, I’ve seen the fight now. I often qualify my fight critiques in Combat by stating that I am no expert.

Once again, I am no expert but this is what I saw. Ronda’s Judo background isn’t suited well for taking down a bigger, stronger woman. A wrestler’s take down skills would have served her better against Holly. Never the less she should have kept Holly down or in a clinch when she had the opportunities.

The most obvious hole in Ronda’s game which Holly exploited was Ronda was a sitting duck for that devastating left which became easier and easier for Holly to land as Rousey tired and became more desperate. I suppose the the quote from Mike Tyson applies here. “Everyone’s got a plan until they get hit”.

This is my interpretation of what happened yesterday.

Rousey went in looking to prove that she can actually win in a striking match.

She cannot. In fact she got so out-classed in striking that it really messed her up mentally.

It probably didn’t help that Holmes got out of the armbar attempt and seemed to be able to get out of the few clinches Rousey got with seeming ease.

I think the fight would have been completely different if Rousey trained and fought with the intent to get to the ground from the start.

[quote]on edge wrote:

Now after seeing the highlights of the fight I know she was way out of shape. Did you see how plump her butt was and how her tummy was hanging over a bit? It sure didn’t take her long to get winded either. So I have to ask, how could she be so stupid to not take the fight seriously?
[/quote]
IMO, Rhonda has never looked like she is in great shape compared to her competitors. Atleast not as good a shape as she could be. She has gone up against some seriously yoked competitors. In the past she has always beat them through skill primarily, not strength. At her weigh in, she looked average compared to other weigh ins.

I think she was hoping for a repeat of the last match where she out punched her competitor. She is just a terrible striker, and she really lucked out in the previous match. Her strategy going in was bad, and it was clear that holms had really trained in avoiding take downs all together.

[quote]on edge wrote:

Now after seeing the highlights of the fight I know she was way out of shape. Did you see how plump her butt was and how her tummy was hanging over a bit? It sure didn’t take her long to get winded either. So I have to ask, how could she be so stupid to not take the fight seriously?

I also have to ask how she could have been stupid enough to let the fight go back to the feet once it went down to the mat? I didn’t see the fight so maybe the answer is she didn’t have a choice in the matter but it seems to me the best female grappler on the planet would be able to keep an opponent down. Even if she is in shit for shape.

The big question now is will she be able to come back? She burns so hot with intensity it won’t surprise me if this is too much for her to handle. I could see her pulling a post Ali George Foreman.
[/quote]

^ Agreed …wouldn’t want to be anywhere near her today …or for awhile ^

Funny you mention her condition - didn’t see the fight, but USA Today sports section had a big article about her nutrition prep for this fight in the Friday edition … Guess it wasn’t all that it was made out to be

Can’t say how happy I am that the loud-mouth, trailer-trash bitch got beat up and knocked out. By a BOXER, no less. That’s gotta’ hurt.My only hope is that she doesn’t come back. Good riddance to an awful sportsman.

In reality, Trashy bought into her own hype - thought she could hold her own in a boxing match. And she fooled the people who only watch her padwork videos … as opposed to those who see how she acts in a real fight

And as anticipated, she was sloppy and wild, with no jab or straight punches to speak of. She was constantly flat-footed, fought with her hands down and her chin up, had no concept of footwork or range or ring/cage generalship, and was basically humiliated. She was the poster child for how you’re not supposed to fight - ever.

And Holm - she’s awesome. Awesome boxer, awesome woman, seems like a genuinely good person. So glad she won.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Can’t say how happy I am that the loud-mouth, trailer-trash bitch got beat up and knocked out. By a BOXER, no less. That’s gotta’ hurt.My only hope is that she doesn’t come back. Good riddance to an awful sportsman.

In reality, Trashy bought into her own hype - thought she could hold her own in a boxing match. And she fooled the people who only watch her padwork videos … as opposed to those who see how she acts in a real fight

And as anticipated, she was sloppy and wild, with no jab or straight punches to speak of. She was constantly flat-footed, fought with her hands down and her chin up, had no concept of footwork or range or ring/cage generalship, and was basically humiliated. She was the poster child for how you’re not supposed to fight - ever.

And Holm - she’s awesome. Awesome boxer, awesome woman, seems like a genuinely good person. So glad she won. [/quote]

I agree that Rousey seemed fairly arrogant going in, and suffered from believing in her own hype. However, we have to remember that being a villain is just part of her game and what has gotten her so much publicity in/outside of the UFC.

Honestly, what stood out to me most was how out of shape she seemed. I was interested to see how prepped she’d be for the fight, and it was fairly evident how poorly she prepared. Anyone can go all out for 30 seconds, but you could definitely see her fading by the 2-3 minute mark, right around the time the body switches over from anaerobic to aerobic systems. Doesn’t help that she kept sprinting after Holm instead of using angles to cut her off.

Not only was she physically unprepared, but her coaches were severely outmatched as well. Rousey goes into every fight with the same strategy: bullrush an opponent and set up a takedown with a few wild and hard shots. Most everyone has stood there and tried to exchange with her, and it’s never worked out. Holly needed to keep landing a quality shot or two and move, wearing Rousey out over time. The oblique kicks around her weak knees helped too. I was shocked when Tarvedyan told her she was doing great. Any good coach would have adjusted the game plan and let her know what she needed to correct, but that would require him being a good coach in the first place.

An arrogant attitude, lack of preparation, a slew of yes-men and bad coaches, and the perfect execution of a fight plan by Holm is what culminated into Rousey’s loss.

[quote]HouseOfTulkas wrote:

An arrogant attitude, lack of preparation, a slew of yes-men and bad coaches, and the perfect execution of a fight plan by Holm is what culminated into Rousey’s loss.[/quote]

Great post, I totally agree. I couldn’t believe it when I heard that coach say “you’re doing great” or whatever it was he exactly said. I would have said “get that bitch down and keep her down”. I’m sure that’s better advise than what she got and, like I said, I don’t know jack about fighting.

Hey Irish, as happy as you are about this outcome just think how happy Meisha Tate must be. That chick must have been partying into the wee hours.

I agree that Rousey seemed fairly arrogant going in, and suffered from believing in her own hype. However, we have to remember that being a villain is just part of her game and what has gotten her so much publicity in/outside of the UFC.
[/quote]

Yea… I don’t think it is. I think she’s exactly what she is telling you she’s just pretending to be. When you knock someone out, then talk shit to them while they’re on the ground, you’re an asshole. When you don’t touch gloves before a fight, you’re an asshole.

Floyd Mayweather may be a lot of things, but find me one fight - just one - where he says something bad about the fighter right after the fight. He doesn’t.

She’s not a sportsman. She’s a bitch with an attitude problem who got put in her place.

It didn’t look to me like she was trying to stand and trade, she was trying to get in close enough to tie and throw - she’s a judo player, plain and simple, and has little to no skill in wrestling-style shots. Meaning a single or double from arm’s length or more is out of the question. To get in tight, she obviously had to trade and hope to weather the storm. Holly barely gave her the chance, staying on the move the whole time - a few times literally turning her back and running across the cage. Holly had an excellent game plan to negate Ronda’s throws, and she knew she didn’t have to worry about her punching. Great plan, executed to perfection.

It’s easy to Monday-morning quarterback this one, but I was watching the fight and saying the whole time, ‘Stop chasing her’. Ronda was the champ, and to win the title you have to beat the champ - all the champ has to do is not lose. I think Ronda expected Holly to stand and trade with her, going for the knockout. Once it became apparent she wasn’t going to stand still long enough to do that, Ronda should have gone to center ring, stood there and said, ‘come at me bro’. It would have been boring as hell, but it would have forced Holly to engage on Ronda’s terms rather than the other way around.

I agree with the above statements about coaching, I bet if Greg Jackson were in Ronda’s corner, he would have recognized this and said the same thing; not that I think I even hold a candle to Greg’s genius as a coach - point being that a better coach would have identified the hole and made adjustments.

All things said, congrats to Holly on a perfect win. As to Ronda’s trash-talking knocked out opponents, weren’t those responses to things said by the opponent before the fight? Not exactly classy, but not as bad as it sounds. Curious to see if Ronda can make the necessary adjustments and train properly given her current filming schedule (obviously depends on when the rematch takes place). Problem being, in a rematch she will be forced to be aggressive - the tactic I mentioned above wouldn’t help a challenger at all.

I don’t no much (or anything tbf) about mma, and Ronda Rousey may come back to beat Holly, and she may warrant her p4p no1 spot - but the hype around her was clear to see. In that, shes had A LOT of pr invested in her. Shes been in films, on the cover of ring magazine, winning espn awards.

I read on her wiki page she wont espns best female athlete ever award? Shes also been heralded as the “most dominant athlete ever”.

Any comparison between her and Serena Williams is laughable.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

Yea… I don’t think it is. I think she’s exactly what she is telling you she’s just pretending to be. When you knock someone out, then talk shit to them while they’re on the ground, you’re an asshole. When you don’t touch gloves before a fight, you’re an asshole.

Floyd Mayweather may be a lot of things, but find me one fight - just one - where he says something bad about the fighter right after the fight. He doesn’t.

She’s not a sportsman. She’s a bitch with an attitude problem who got put in her place.
[/quote]

This. It takes a true ct to still be a ct even AFTER winning.

she seems to be cut from the same cloth as a guy like Adrien Broner - classless before, during and after.

Having said that, I respect her, a lot. Shes been given an avalanche of mocking. Her downfall is testimony to the height she reached.

Gotta respect anyone who steps into a competitive ring. And anyone who is willing to do it again after experiencing getting knocked out, well that makes it even more commendable.

So it would be pretty cool if she came back to win a rematch.

Holm is actually a kickboxer, not a boxer not that Rousy would have won the other night against a straight up boxer she wouldn’t have.

1. She did buy into her own hype and didn’t train properly. She was gassed before the end of the first round. Did she really think she was going to finish every opponent in under a minute? How foolish.

2. Her strategy was horrific. Forget the Judo hip toss did she learned nothing in training camp? She needed to shoot a low single and take her to the ground immediately. She was obviously not going to win a striking contest with a world champion kick boxer. Charging in trying to hip toss was just pathetic to watch. And her striking game was no where near where it should be to hang in there.

3. As for her general demeanor. It’s really difficult to feel sorry for someone with so little sportsmanship and class in general. Not touching gloves, trash talking after she beats someone. Talking about how she could beat Floyd and Cain–LOL really she was just too full of herself. Hopefully not only will she become a better fighter but a better person as well when she comes back.

I wish he well but I never want to see the old Rhonda Rousy again as she makes me sick.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Holm is actually a kickboxer, not a boxer not that Rousy would have won the other night against a straight up boxer she wouldn’t have.

[/quote]

Holm was a professional boxer previously, record of 33-2, and a 2x Ring Mag Female boxer of the year.

Totally agree with your #3. Hopefully she grows up after this.

[quote]dk44 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

Holm was a professional boxer previously, record of 33-2, and a 2x Ring Mag Female boxer of the year.

Totally agree with your #3. Hopefully she grows up after this. [/quote]

Oh wow okay sorry for showing my ignorance on that topic. I was under the impression she was a kick boxer. Was she a kick boxer at any point in her career? That final kick she delivered certainly looked good.

Okay I have to take back part of my mea culpa (only a small part). While she is better known as a boxer with a truly incredible record she at least did have 3 kickboxing matches. I knew I read that she was a kick boxer somewhere.

She was 33-2-3 as a boxer and was 2-1 as a kick boxer.

Damn you guys are really going in on her. I don’t think she talked any more than Floyd, and it got her the attention and money no woman fighter has ever really had.

I generally pic who is going to lose the title in any sport by who has more commercials. Being the best of the best of the best generally requires a tremendous focus. While Rhonda was parading around promoting her fights, Holly was probably in the gym.

Far as looking out of shape, her body looks like that to me in most fights, and she normally doesn’t last that long or throw that many punches. She was very aggressive, it’s hard to be that aggressive and win in most fighting sports. 90% of the time it’s the best counter man that wins. Even if the aggressive person is throwing fakes to get the other person to throw something so that they can counter.

Ronda also looked like she wanted to box. How stupid is that, she’s never fought this good of a boxer. And Holly WAS A BOXER. She did kickboxing also, she won in all 3 sports.

That said, she just increased her and Holly’s pay grade, people were starting to assume women just suck at fighting.

It wouldn’t have done any good for Rousey to stop chasing. Holm is a better striker with better reach. Rousey needs to close to win. If Rousey stops moving then Holm gets to choose the distance and she can keep the fight at a longer striking distance.

Rousey’s only hope was to close, take the fight to the ground, and win there. It seemed to me that Holm was well prepared for this, both with takedown defense and submission defense in the clinch and on the ground.

Rousey was a big fish in a small pond and the pond just got a little bigger. Talking about most dominant or GOAT was always ridiculous.