Ron Paul Duped by Bruno

[quote]stokedporcupine wrote:
I still think that many of you guys wouldn’t so vehemently score Cohen if his stuff was directed against liberals. [/quote]

Yes, I would because lowbrow humor is lowbrow humor no mater the ideology at which it is directed.

The people who find Cohen funny are not your typical fellows who travel in intellectual circles.

Buffoonery…helping to sort out the slave class from the rest of us.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
It all basically comes down to making fun of people that are not hip enough to get the joke. Hypersensational playground antics.

I don’t find anything humorous in any of Cohen’s “work”.

[/quote]

Gotcha. I doubt he would get me. So is it okay to make fun of gays if we are un hip?

I mean the fact that they don’t get that acting all queenie makes them look like dumbasses?

I still find the guy funny. I’m conservative, 45 years old, own guns, hate liberals etc. What I get out of him is that queenie gays are silly and stupid foreigners are stupid foreigners.

Ali Gi was pretty funny when it first started out, we are now onto character 3 with basically the same gags.

I don’t find anything humorous in any of Cohen’s “work”. [/quote]

I found this mildly amusing. There’s certainly humor in it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3134039255315706758

Not so much these days. Just buffoonery like you said…

Throw the Jew down the well!

stokedporcupine wrote:
I still think that many of you guys wouldn’t so vehemently score Cohen if his stuff was directed against liberals.

Yes, I would because lowbrow humor is lowbrow humor no mater the ideology at which it is directed.

The people who find Cohen funny are not your typical fellows who travel in intellectual circles.

Buffoonery…helping to sort out the slave class from the rest of us.[/quote]

Are you the guy who couldn’t get your head around the gameshow briefcase question a few months back?

For years there have been comedy skits and such based on buffoonery, such as the three stooges. I don’t get to offended by it personally, even if a conservative is targeted.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
stokedporcupine wrote:
I still think that many of you guys wouldn’t so vehemently score Cohen if his stuff was directed against liberals.

Buffoonery…helping to sort out the slave class from the rest of us.

Are you the guy who couldn’t get your head around the gameshow briefcase question a few months back?

[/quote]

Actually, I was the one who cracked it for everyone else, three different times, three different ways.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
For years there have been comedy skits and such based on buffoonery, such as the three stooges. I don’t get to offended by it personally, even if a conservative is targeted.[/quote]

That is all well and good…

Still, it is lowbrow humor and if you find it funny then you are lowbrow.

tom63 wrote:
For years there have been comedy skits and such based on buffoonery, such as the three stooges. I don’t get to offended by it personally, even if a conservative is targeted.

Still, it is lowbrow humor and if you find it funny then you are lowbrow.[/quote]

You mean educated and sophisticated people cannot find humor in unsophisticated things? That’s seems wrong to me. Surely even the brightest of us must tune out and relax once in awhile.

Yes I laughed a lot at most of the stuff in Borat, and I also laugh at ‘FAIL’ pictures and youtube videos of people being injured while doing harebrained stunts.

[quote]stokedporcupine8 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
tom63 wrote:

You mean educated and sophisticated people cannot find humor in unsophisticated things? That’s seems wrong to me. Surely even the brightest of us must tune out and relax once in awhile.

Yes I laughed a lot at most of the stuff in Borat, and I also laugh at ‘FAIL’ pictures and youtube videos of people being injured while doing harebrained stunts. [/quote]

X2

Nothing wrong with dumbing down your humor once in a while. I mean I can still laugh at some good science jokes. “Scientifically, maybe body cells -do- replace themselves completely in
seven years – but, legally, you’re still married.”

But give me Dumb & Dumber and a bag of popcorn and I’m a happy camper for 2 hours.

V

more science jokes.

“Man: I wish I was the enzyme dna helicase.
Woman : Why
Man: So I could unzip your genes”

V

[quote]stokedporcupine8 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Yes I laughed a lot at most of the stuff in Borat, and I also laugh at ‘FAIL’ pictures and youtube videos of people being injured while doing harebrained stunts. [/quote]

I don’t laugh at other people being hurt or embarrassed…whether it is intended to be funny or not. Maybe I am just not smart enough to get why it is supposed to be funny.

And no, I am not as uptight as it might seem. I just have different sense of humor I guess.

tom63 wrote:

Still, it is lowbrow humor and if you find it funny then you are lowbrow.[/quote]

Shakespeare’s work was considered pretty lowbrow in its day. So was Kabuki. Now they’re considered pretty sophisticated. Perhaps four hundred years from now Sasha Baron Cohen will be hailed as a comic genius by the highbrows of the future.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Shakespeare’s work was considered pretty lowbrow in its day. So was Kabuki. Now they’re considered pretty sophisticated. Perhaps four hundred years from now Sasha Baron Cohen will be hailed as a comic genius by the highbrows of the future.[/quote]

Fortunately for me I will be dead by then.

And yes, I am aware that pop art usually starts with the common folk; thus only can it be popular. I try and separate myself from the masses in terms of art. In other words I try not to associate with philistines.

stokedporcupine8 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Yes I laughed a lot at most of the stuff in Borat, and I also laugh at ‘FAIL’ pictures and youtube videos of people being injured while doing harebrained stunts.

I don’t laugh at other people being hurt or embarrassed…whether it is intended to be funny or not. Maybe I am just not smart enough to get why it is supposed to be funny.

And no, I am not as uptight as it might seem. I just have different sense of humor I guess.[/quote]

That’s fine that you have a different sense of humor. It would even be cool if you condemned lowbrow slap-stick comedy as something that ought not be laughed at–hell, you might even be right. But to make the further leap and to say that liking lowbrow slap-stick comedy means you’re stupid or something is a bit much.

First it’s seemingly invalid, since it’s easy to conceive of a very smart person being amused by such things. Second it’s little more then a personal attack.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

Nothing wrong with dumbing down your humor once in a while. I mean I can still laugh at some good science jokes. “Scientifically, maybe body cells -do- replace themselves completely in
seven years – but, legally, you’re still married.”

But give me Dumb & Dumber and a bag of popcorn and I’m a happy camper for 2 hours.

V[/quote]

No one seems to have appreciated my attempt at more sophisticated humor in the ‘Obama report card’ thread :frowning:

I know it’s lowbrow humor but still find it funny. I’m educated and law abiding, I pay my taxes and take care of my family.

And I find it funny when a guy pretending to be from a foreign country brings a bag of poop back down to the dinner party because he doesn’t know what to do with it.

Monty Python is funny. So is Stripes, Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Animal House, Old School and Step Brothers.

Wild Hawgs is not funny. Neither is White Chicks. Sixteen Candles is. So is One Crazy Summer.

Donger need more food! Then she grabs me by the weiner! If it’s not low brow, higher % chance it isn’t funny.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Shakespeare’s work was considered pretty lowbrow in its day. So was Kabuki. Now they’re considered pretty sophisticated. Perhaps four hundred years from now Sasha Baron Cohen will be hailed as a comic genius by the highbrows of the future.[/quote]

Reminds me of snickering like a dipshit at the Miller’s Tale in high school when we read Chaucer’s The Canturbury Tales. If I remember correctly people get farted on. heh.

mike