T Nation

Romney vs. Santorum; It's ON!

Mitt Romney

I wanted to start a new thread, because this is where the GOP race APPEARS to be headed.

While I think that NEWT's pride and ego will not allow him to drop out (at least not now); this is working out to be a 2-Man Race.

And it IS getting interesting!

Romney just "won" in Maine...but only 39% to 36% over Santorum. (Great news for Sloth and "The Cause"!)

One has to wonder what it would have been with "Newt's" votes going MAINLY to Santorum. (There may have been some split; but I think that the "true" Conservative Vote would have gone MOSTLY to Santorum).

Agree or Disagree?

Let's Discuss!...and on to November!

Mufasa

Rick Santorum

Ron Paul, 36%. Not Santorum.

Newt will stay in. Brokered convention. Pandemonium.

WHOA!

BIG Mistake! (Thanks, Sloth! I read my notice wrong on my iPhone!)

BUT...it still appears to be Romney/Santorum.

Agree of Disagree?

Mufasa

PPP has Santorum leading nationally by 15%, so yeah.

...He's [Santorum] at 38% to 23% for Mitt Romney, 17% for Newt Gingrich, and 13% for Ron Paul.

Part of the reason for Santorum's surge is his own high level of popularity. 64% of voters see him favorably to only 22% with a negative one. But the other, and maybe more important, reason is that Republicans are significantly souring on both Romney and Gingrich. Romney's favorability is barely above water at 44/43, representing a 23 point net decline from our December national poll when he was +24 (55/31). Gingrich has fallen even further. A 44% plurality of GOP voters now hold a negative opinion of him to only 42% with a positive one. That's a 34 point drop from 2 months ago when he was at +32 (60/28)....

Please allow me to correct you on my way out the door. National polls during a primary season are practically meaningless. This is won on a state by state basis. It's like cross over number comparing any republican to Obama right now is not that important. When someone wins the nomination THEN it becomes important. Until then there is too much uncertainty for polls to mean anything

And with that said....I care less and less as the days go past who the republican nominee is. As I see the MSLM fawn over Obama and the economy turn even a tad to the positive (through manipulated numbers) I doubt Romney can beat him. And Santorum will get destroyed. I will get my finances in order so that Obama will have a harder time taking them, at least minimize the damage that he'll do.

So...I'm out boys.

This is just about as big a waste of time as I can think of.

Maybe I'll be back after Romney captures the nomination and if some other things change for the better.

Bye

Zeb:

Before you go...

I'm feeling what you're saying; but I have to ask you this:

Why is the "MSLM" given MORE of a probable impact on this election...than perhaps the fact that there is a poor field of candidates going up against the President?

(Again...I personally think that the President has a HUGE up-hill-battle in order to win the election, "MSLM" or not.)

Mufasa

Super PACs:

'For the first time, voters are getting a glimpse at who's funding the previously opaque organizations boosting the presidential candidates' campaigns with outside spending.

Mitt Romney, not surprisingly, has a slew of investment titans - including former colleagues at Bain Capital - pumping money into the Super PAC supporting his campaign. Newt Gingrich enjoys high-powered support out of Vegas. Ron Paul is being indirectly funded by the co-founder of PayPal(no not the US Army). Rick Santorum's Super PAC is backed mostly by two people(philanthropist John Templeton Jr. and investor Foster Friess.) And President Obama's Super PAC is kept well-heeled by Hollywood and union support.

The pro-Obama Priorities USA Super PAC has raised a total of $4.4 million as of the end of 2011. About half of that came in the form of a $2 million donation from DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg. Steven Spielberg also threw in $100,000.'

Ex-CUSE-me...but I personally like NEWT...!

Mufasa

I never suggested otherwise mufasa. Just showing who is funding everyones' campaigns. And I like Newt too but he's not doing well. And as the song goes - 'Oh I'd like to visit the moon, but I don't think I'd like to live there.'

I don't think this is true. "Moderates" decide every election and they are famously convictionless and emotional and hence highly susceptible to image. Maybe I'm wrong (I get less certain all the time about US politics), but I really do believe that whoever appears most sincere has the best chance to defeat Obama. I don't think the mass of middle moderates comprehend the differences in policy for the most part.

????

SM:

That was a little humorous "play" on Dreamworks/Creators of "Shrek"...and how one of their prized creations actually liked Newt over Obama...

Mufasa

Oh, my mistake. Haven't seen Shrek.

So you also think that Santorum has the better chance of beating the President?

Mufasa

I think Romney is a quintessential plastic politician. I further think moderates will "hear" that louder than anything he says so yes to your question.

Mom don't have cable nitwit?

(Playing. I'm starting to warm to you basement dweller.)

@ JEATON on a completely unrelated note. I loved "Where the Wild Things Are" when I was a kid.

Mother hasn't been herself lately.

I agree about Romney , IMO to elect Santorum would be voting to legislate morality, Newt is the quintessential or epitome of what is wrong with politics in America, I am back to thinking Republicans just suck more than Democrats