T Nation

Romanian Deadlift vs. Goodmornings

I was just wondering exactly what the difference btwn these 2 excercises is. Is it just the placement of the weight or is there a difference in the movement?

The Good Morning is performed with the bar placed behind the neck on the upper traps (like as if you were going to perform squats), slight bend in the knees, and bending forward at the waist while keeping your head up. The Romanian Deadlift is performed with the bar in front of you (as if performing a regular deadlift), slight bend in the knees, head up, bend forward at the waist, but the bar only travels to just below your knees before standing upright again. Both are great movements. Hope this helps.

[quote]reubmar69 wrote:
The Good Morning is performed with the bar placed behind the neck on the upper traps (like as if you were going to perform squats), slight bend in the knees, and bending forward at the waist while keeping your head up. The Romanian Deadlift is performed with the bar in front of you (as if performing a regular deadlift), slight bend in the knees, head up, bend forward at the waist, but the bar only travels to just below your knees before standing upright again. Both are great movements. Hope this helps. [/quote]

I think he’s aware of the differences in the bar placement. I think what he’s asking is if the movement of the hips is exactly the same in both movements. Obviously the bar placement is radically different, but I do think that the movement of the hips is very similar in both.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
reubmar69 wrote:
The Good Morning is performed with the bar placed behind the neck on the upper traps (like as if you were going to perform squats), slight bend in the knees, and bending forward at the waist while keeping your head up. The Romanian Deadlift is performed with the bar in front of you (as if performing a regular deadlift), slight bend in the knees, head up, bend forward at the waist, but the bar only travels to just below your knees before standing upright again. Both are great movements. Hope this helps.

I think he’s aware of the differences in the bar placement. I think what he’s asking is if the movement of the hips is exactly the same in both movements. Obviously the bar placement is radically different, but I do think that the movement of the hips is very similar in both.[/quote]

You are right, my bad. I didn’t read his question thoroughly enough. You are right, the hip movement is similar, but because of the placement of the bar the feel on the hamstrings is different.

For what it’s worth (because I wasn’t performing RDLs quite like Mike Robertson in his recent article) I find I can “sit back” much more in good mornings than RDLs. My hammies get much sorer from GMs, so the sit-back thing is the main difference for me vis-a-vis hamstring involvement.

Thanks guys. I just realized Mike Robertson wrote an article about RDL right after I posted this…you gave me the answer I was looking for though.

What part of North Carolina you from?

what about stiff leg deads? isn’t that the same as RDLs?

[quote]sumabeast wrote:
what about stiff leg deads? isn’t that the same as RDLs?[/quote]

In theory, no, they’re not the same thing.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
sumabeast wrote:
what about stiff leg deads? isn’t that the same as RDLs?

In theory, no, they’re not the same thing.[/quote]

In practice, they almost always are! :wink:

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Miserere wrote:
sumabeast wrote:
what about stiff leg deads? isn’t that the same as RDLs?

In theory, no, they’re not the same thing.

In practice, they almost always are! ;)[/quote]

Ha ha haha! True :slight_smile: