T Nation

Romanian Deadlift Question

Do you go to the floor, or just to the knee?

[quote]HOV wrote:
Do you go to the floor, or just to the knee?[/quote]

Until I can’t maintain the arch in my back. Usually a little bit past the knee.

Read:

Lately I stop at mid-shin. But this is to address a persanol weakness in my competition DL- I am strong off the floor but weak just below my knee. I have also cut them high in the past- right around knee level.

I feel that this allows you to handle a lot more weight (especially if you pull it out a of rack to start) and/or to be much more explosive. At the other extreme, there videos out on the web of Ano Turtiainen doing RDLs standing on a block- I think he went up to the low or mid 700s on these.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Lately I stop at mid-shin. But this is to address a persanol weakness in my competition DL- I am strong off the floor but weak just below my knee. I have also cut them high in the past- right around knee level.

I feel that this allows you to handle a lot more weight (especially if you pull it out a of rack to start) and/or to be much more explosive. At the other extreme, there videos out on the web of Ano Turtiainen doing RDLs standing on a block- I think he went up to the low or mid 700s on these.[/quote]

Were they RDLs or stiff leg DLs? I think I remember seeing them posted as RDLs but when Iwas looking at them it wasn’t like he was sitting back as much as you’d expect with an RDL.

To be honest does it really matter anyway what it was called???

I do my RDLs to just below my knees.

Okay. I’ve seen it so many different ways I just wanted to get a read from this community.

I usually do them to the knee or slghtly below as well, but I started questioning my methods when I saw this:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html

It took some personal instruction from Dan John for me to do these correctly.

Think about pushing your hips back, the bar will naturally lower as your hips go back. Once you feel as if you can’t maintain a flat back is when you stop. That will be different for everyone.

If you are still having issues, I can write out the drill he had people do, for it to “click.”

[quote]HOV wrote:
Okay. I’ve seen it so many different ways I just wanted to get a read from this community.

I usually do them to the knee or slghtly below as well, but I started questioning my methods when I saw this:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html [/quote]

The guy in the video is bending his knees as he lowers the bar, shortening the distance between the origin and insertion of his hamstrings, allowing him to go much without rounding his back. Slight bend in the knees should be MAINTAINED with all the movement at the hips.

Long story short, not very good technique.

Most people can’t go much below their knees unless they have super flexible hamstrings or gorilla arms.

I for one have super long arms and could do my Romanian Deadifts off a block for greater Range of Motion but I’ve found that I can use heavier weight and put less stress on my waist if I only go mid shin. If you don’t have long arms, then below the kneecap is good.

Try standing opposite a mirror, holding just a bar or a broom stick. Drive your hips back as far as they will go.When you get to the point where you can’t push the butt back any further stop and note the position of the bar.

From this position it should be easy to see that lowering the bar any further results in lumbar movement (which obviously we don’t want). In the end of the day all we’re after is a power hip extension.

I pull in both positions – from the floor and from right below the knee. I like pulling from the floor because I get to deaden the weight between each rep and really focus on generating rapid concentric strength from nothing.

In either case, it’s all about keeping a neutral lower back and having those hips pushed as far back as possible and then shoving them forward to accelerate to lockout.

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
It took some personal instruction from Dan John for me to do these correctly.

Think about pushing your hips back, the bar will naturally lower as your hips go back. Once you feel as if you can’t maintain a flat back is when you stop. That will be different for everyone.

If you are still having issues, I can write out the drill he had people do, for it to “click.”[/quote]

Considering your location, I bet I know when you hooked up with Dan John. I only found out about that after it was too late. I was so upset about that.

Anyway, that’s how I do them, so that’s good. I like the answer about lumbar stability and a different stopping poit for everyone.