T Nation

Roman DL w/ Feet On Plate

A trainer I know suggested doing romanian DL with the front of my feet on a plate. It does seem to hit the hams better.

Thoughts?

Oh and just so we’re on the same page, no camera, but:

–knees slightly bent and don’t change
–stick my but out
–bar travels almost vertical and almost down to mid shin.

Thanks.

[quote]ScottL wrote:
A trainer I know suggested doing romanian DL with the front of my feet on a plate. It does seem to hit the hams better.

Thoughts?

Oh and just so we’re on the same page, no camera, but:

–knees slightly bent and don’t change
–stick my but out
–bar travels almost vertical and almost down to mid shin.

Thanks.

[/quote]

I do it sometimes because it gives stability and makes it easier to drive through the heels.

I like the sound of that. I will try it.

I had second thoughts thinking the plate under the front of the feet may not transfer to real-life, but people do Olympic Squats with plates under their heels. Same difference, I guess :S

My conclusion is there is probably nothing wrong with it and I’m going to try this.

Thanks a lot.

-Kevin

That actually sounds like a damned good idea. If you want to isolate the hams more it seems like it would work in theory.

Roman Deadlifts on a plate? How about Ancient Greek Deadlifts with your feet on a plate?

Seriously though, it does sound like it would work pretty well, prob hit the calf to a good degree as well. I only think this would be a good choice for people that have no problem getting deep with regular romanian deads…

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
I only think this would be a good choice for people that have no problem getting deep with regular romanian deads…[/quote]

That’s a really good point. If your hams aren’t flexible it would be good to put the weights higher up on a block or something… that way you could still put your toes on the plate.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I do it sometimes because it gives stability and makes it easier to drive through the heels.[/quote]

You’ve done this and you say it gives stability? I’m not sure you’ve done these then. How would an uneven surface give you stability??

ANYWAY! I do most of my Stiff Leg DL’s like this. I get a batter stretch in my hamistring and I just feel it more. Do be careful though, because as you get fatigued and your form starts to diminsh slightly you can lose your balance. (see what I mean about stability??) Also try standing on a small platform (Some gyms have those old step-up aerobics platforms) and picking your weight up off the ground. This also give a realy good stretch and your feet will be on even ground.

By the way- If YOU feel like YOU like them better with YOUR feet on some plates, and you get a better workout- why care what I or anyone else thinks?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
I only think this would be a good choice for people that have no problem getting deep with regular romanian deads…

That’s a really good point. If your hams aren’t flexible it would be good to put the weights higher up on a block or something… that way you could still put your toes on the plate.[/quote]

What are you talking about wouldnt that just end up being the same exercise?

[quote]Hard Hank wrote:
I’m not sure you’ve done these then. How would an uneven surface give you stability?? [/quote]

Congrats. But you have no clue what you are talking about.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
What are you talking about wouldnt that just end up being the same exercise?[/quote]

No. The weight is on some blocks so that you don’t have to bend as deeply. The toes are on a plate to force you to push through your heel and it keeps you from tilting forward.

Shadow,

Also, IMO the point of putting the toes on a plate is not to get a deeper ROM, for that I would put my whole foot on a plate. Maybe that is the source of the misunderstanding.

By the way- If YOU feel like YOU like them better with YOUR feet on some plates, and you get a better workout- why care what I or anyone else thinks?

Heh. Good point. I’m just new enough at training I was curious people’s thoughts.

Thanks all.

I see what you are saying. But putting your toes up on a plate gives you a deeper ROM because you are starting from a deeper stretch in the standing postition. But if you are talking about how far the bar actually goes than yes you are right i see what you are saying…

I’m gonna go do some of these now! :slight_smile:

I remember Dan John talking about that.

[quote]Hard Hank wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
I do it sometimes because it gives stability and makes it easier to drive through the heels.

You’ve done this and you say it gives stability? I’m not sure you’ve done these then. How would an uneven surface give you stability??

ANYWAY! I do most of my Stiff Leg DL’s like this. I get a batter stretch in my hamistring and I just feel it more. Do be careful though, because as you get fatigued and your form starts to diminsh slightly you can lose your balance. (see what I mean about stability??) Also try standing on a small platform (Some gyms have those old step-up aerobics platforms) and picking your weight up off the ground. This also give a realy good stretch and your feet will be on even ground.

By the way- If YOU feel like YOU like them better with YOUR feet on some plates, and you get a better workout- why care what I or anyone else thinks?
[/quote]

It probably keeps him from being pulled forward by the weight on the descent of the bar. It also probably forces him to push through the heels rather than allowing weight to transfer to the balls of his foot.

You can also try wiggling your toes…Personally I would be paranoid of falling backwards if I had a plate under my toes.