T Nation

Roman Chair extensions..

You guys rate these? Weighted or not, these really nail my lower back good.

EMG and my own experience show the contrary…great for glutes and hams pre-contest though.

Use deadlifts and good am’s for low back strength.

-Don

They really helped my lower back strength. Before I started doing the Roman Chair Extensions with a 35# plate I was having trouble spraining my back when doing squats. And it didn’t appear to be a form problem, because it was happening to me when I would do squats in one of those sled operations. It is true that it hits the glutes and hams, but it does wonders for lower back strength too.

More of a dynamic flexibility exercise than anything else. If you feel it in your lower back, that may suggest an imbalance.

They are excellent when performed with one leg at a time in a Preparatory program to even out strength imbalances between hip extensors on each leg.

No doubt they nail my glutes and hams too. Im very tall and I shift myself as far forward as possible specifically because I want to work on lower back strength. Yes, deadlifts too.

Nice to see Don posting on the t-forum!

I think with deadlifts or stiff leg deadlifts there’s not much reason for hyperextensions, but I agree it’s good for a glute sqeeze. Does that make me gay? j/k

Davo2: That depends on whose glutes you’re squeezing! lol

Billy