ROM on Front Squats

Anyone got any tips on increasing your ROM for front squats?

I’d like to get as deep as this guy…

Is this a joke? Work on your flexibility is all I’ve got to offer.

Mike Boyle, Eric Cressey, and Mike Robertson go into some good detail about this in their articles.

Just recapping a few good points:

• Train in all 3 planes of motion
  • Do unilateral work
  • Assess and work on kinetic flaws (the neanderthal no more series AWESOME articles)
  • SMR (foam roll) and stretching drills

Goodluck

Stretch the glutes and hamstrings and strengthen the lower back

OR

Start with a weight that will press you down to full ROM but lets you keep good form through the whole movement. Stay with that weight until you’ve got full ROM and good form, then raise the poundage. You’ll get an active stretch and practice form, reducing the chances of injury.

Elevating your heels can help add depth but then you may get to wear you have to elevate your heels to squat deep. Just work on flexibilty.
Maybe add a dynamic warm up before you squat

[quote]BigAndyJ wrote:

[/quote]

Hate to break the news…that ain’t so deep. Check out some of the Olympic style lifters, if you want to see deep on a front squat.

Well it’s deeper than I can go. Thanks, think I might try skidmark’s answer.

There are 4 areas I think you should focus on for flexibility"

Calves
Quads
Hamstrings
Glutes

You can actually stretch calves statically before you do your front squats. You want to inhibit their muscle action anyway.

For hamstrings I have found leg swings (forward and backward) have worked much better than static stretching. It helps the stand next to a fixed object to keep your balance while swinging. You can keep track of your progress by observing how high you foot gets.

For quads the standing stretch with a foot elevated behind seems to work well for me. One test to try for quads is to run in place and try to kick your own butt. If you can’t touch your butt you need work.

For glutes there are several options and you can probably find good advice on T-Nation.

good luck.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
BigAndyJ wrote:

Hate to break the news…that ain’t so deep. Check out some of the Olympic style lifters, if you want to see deep on a front squat.

[/quote]

I definitely agree with that. I also don’t think it’s such a great idea in having that wide of a stance for front squats like this guy has in the picture.

Ankle flexibility also plays a role in squatting. Check out some stretches that you can do.

Is it too wide a stance Raw Power?

Look up Dan John’s video on google videos. Fantastic for getting your squat form right. Flexibility is a lot less of an issue then people make out.

I really love doing front squats…more so than any of the other squats. Initially dont stress about not being able to go as deep, as you continue to do it you will find you can bring the weight deeper and deeper. Just work on staying at your heels and you will be fine.

If your stance is too wide then it’s almost impossible to go deep. Also I suggest learning the clean grip. Here’s what I look like at the bottom of a front squat (minus the barbell).

Maybe my feet are too wide and that’s why I’m not going low enough… Will try a closer stance next time I’m squatting.