T Nation

Roles Actors Have Turned Down

I was reading an interview with one of my favorite actors Denzel washington in GQ recently. They asked him what were some of the roles he turned down that he regretted. He said ‘Seven’ and ‘Michael Clayton’.

He also said he really, really wanted Willem Dafoes’ character in ‘Platoon’. Which I thought would have been outstanding. Although I love Platoon and Dafoes performance, Denzel could have added a whole different layer. He also wanted a role in ‘Full Metal Jacket’. Could you imagine that? He got into a big disagreement with Kubrick though.

Anyone know of similar stories with other actors? Or roles you would have wished they would have taken??

I heard Molly Ringwald turned down “Pretty Woman” (her mom said it wasn’t right for her).

I heard Tom Selleck turned down playing Indiana Jones in “Raiders of the Lost Ark”.

I heard Eric Stoltz turned down the role of Marty McFly in “Back to the Future”.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I heard Eric Stoltz turned down the role of Marty McFly in “Back to the Future”.

[/quote]

I think he was cast and they shot a good part of the movie before they realized it wasn’t working and replaced him.

I believe Sean Connery declined the role of Gandalf in Lord of the Rings in favour of his role in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Oops.

[quote]Scotto wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I heard Eric Stoltz turned down the role of Marty McFly in “Back to the Future”.

[/quote]

I think he was cast and they shot a good part of the movie before they realized it wasn’t working and replaced him.[/quote]

I think they wanted Micheal J fox, but he was busy with family ties so they got that other guy. THen micheal figured out some way to do his schedule so he could do both family ties and Back to the future so they fired the other dude.

THANK GOD TOO! M.J. Fox was the bestest.

oh edit: I wonder if Nards knows for sure? His the second biggest back to the future fan on this site :stuck_out_tongue:

Mel Gibson turned down the part of Maximus in “Gladiator.”

Jack Nicholson declined an offer to play Michael Corleone in “The Godfather.”

Michelle Pfeiffer turned down the leads in both “Pretty Woman” and “Basic Instinct.”

John Travolta declined to play the lead in “Forrest Gump.”

Tom Hanks decided to pass on the role of Andy Dufresne in “The Shawshank Redemption.” (Thank God!)

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

[quote]Scotto wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I heard Eric Stoltz turned down the role of Marty McFly in “Back to the Future”.

[/quote]

I think he was cast and they shot a good part of the movie before they realized it wasn’t working and replaced him.[/quote]

I think they wanted Micheal J fox, but he was busy with family ties so they got that other guy. THen micheal figured out some way to do his schedule so he could do both family ties and Back to the future so they fired the other dude.

THANK GOD TOO! M.J. Fox was the bestest.

oh edit: I wonder if Nards knows for sure? His the second biggest back to the future fan on this side :P[/quote]

Ever read Fox’s book “A Lucky Man”?

Excellent read!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Mel Gibson turned down the part of Maximus in “Gladiator.”

[/quote]

All the persecution and martyrdom would have been right up his alley. I can’t think of a role in which he doesn’t get beaten near to death and lose a family member, then come back and stab somebody. Guess he didn’t stab anybody in road warrior, but after that the rule applies.

Will Smith turned down playing Neo in the Matrix in favour of Wild Wild West LOL.

heard Robin Williams turned down the Joker in the newer batman.

I heard Caesar turned down Emperor of Rome twice before finally accepting it.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

I heard Caesar turned down Emperor of Rome twice before finally accepting it. [/quote]

LOL!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Mel Gibson turned down the part of Maximus in “Gladiator.”

Jack Nicholson declined an offer to play Michael Corleone in “The Godfather.”

[/quote]

No shit? Wow! I knew the others, didn’t know these two.

Would have loved to see Denzel in either Platoon or FMJ.

As fans, we got screwed there.

Look at all the roles Jim Carey turned down!

http://www.imdb.com/list/20gvFRsFvI0/

Cool thread. I know tons of these random nuggets.

Stallone turned down the lead in Beverly Hills Cop. It was originally gonna be a huge action movie, and his name was gonna be Axl Cobretti, not Foley. Now we know how Cobra happened.

Harrison Ford might be the luckiest dude of all time. He landed 2 of the most iconic roles of all time as a consolation prize. Indiana Jones was originally gonna be played by Tom Selleck but the producers of Magnum PI wouldn’t let him shoot, and Han Solo was originally gonna be played by… Nick Nolte. Don’t remember what happened though.

Have more, but don’t wanna steal all the fun.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

[quote]Scotto wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I heard Eric Stoltz turned down the role of Marty McFly in “Back to the Future”.

[/quote]

I think he was cast and they shot a good part of the movie before they realized it wasn’t working and replaced him.[/quote]

I think they wanted Micheal J fox, but he was busy with family ties so they got that other guy. THen micheal figured out some way to do his schedule so he could do both family ties and Back to the future so they fired the other dude.

THANK GOD TOO! M.J. Fox was the bestest.

oh edit: I wonder if Nards knows for sure? His the second biggest back to the future fan on this site :P[/quote]

Stoltz got the part 'cause they thought he was right for it. They filmed a good portion and realized it had way too serious of a tone and that’s not what they wanted, so they brought in Fox and started from scratch. Never realized how much Fox and Stoltz resembeled one another before seeing the lost footage.

Oh, my favorite is that Arnold was originally supposed to play Kyle Reese (played by Michael Beihn) in the Terminator, and OJ Simpson was supposed to play the T-100. Producers scrapped the idea 'cause they thought no one could picture OJ as a killer. No shit.

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
Look at all the roles Jim Carey turned down!

http://www.imdb.com/list/20gvFRsFvI0/[/quote]

What dumbass wanted to cast John Travolta as James Bond in Casino Royale???

WWWWWTTTTTTFFFFFFF???

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
Look at all the roles Jim Carey turned down!

http://www.imdb.com/list/20gvFRsFvI0/[/quote]

DAMN! I wonder if he regrets any of them.

Christopher Walken turned down the roles of Jack Sparrow in “Pirates of The Caribbean”

Thank God… although he’s a great and quirky actor.

Depp was born for that role.