RogueVampire - How'd You Get So Big?

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
last night i did, 350 for 9 reps in the high incline press in the powerrack. with the weight starting off my chest. Makes the exercise much harder.[/quote]

i do 350 for 27 :wink: in my dreams! … by ‘in the powerack’ does that mean you do all your reps from a dead-stop? and don’t you find that harder on your elbows? guessing its better when you don’t have a spotter?

getting tired of failing on incline bench and having to roll the bar over my twins cause I can’t re-rack the weight then having to power clean back

Have you ever dieted down, have you any intention to diet down in future? What about plans for competition bb’ing or powerlifting?

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

last night i did, 350 for 9 reps in the high incline press in the powerrack. with the weight starting off my chest. Makes the exercise much harder.[/quote]

i do 350 for 27 :wink: in my dreams! … by ‘in the powerack’ does that mean you do all your reps from a dead-stop? and don’t you find that harder on your elbows? guessing its better when you don’t have a spotter?

getting tired of failing on incline bench and having to roll the bar over my twins cause I can’t re-rack the weight then having to power clean back[/quote]

There’s a reason why he does them in a cage. Lol

No need for a spotter when you’re pressing off pins.

Cmon dude lol

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
The way you train is similar to how I train… once I started doing less sets per workout and hitting each bodypart at a higher frequency I had insane growth. [/quote]

Its funny, try and tell people to do less volume and they look at you like your nuts. I just say fine, keep doing 20 sets per bodypart and looking the same every year, never getting any stronger or bigger. Thats like working for free in my mind. Why bother working out if your not going to progress.

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

getting tired of failing on incline bench and having to roll the bar over my twins cause I can’t re-rack the weight then having to power clean back[/quote]

No, I don’t do the power rack every chest workout. I split doing that and doing more hammer strength. My left elbow has been a little creeky lately. but thats due to doing straight bar curls. For whatever reason, that movement doesn’t agree with me.

Alot of gyms nowadays don’t have a power rack. Yes, I always start with the weight off my chest on a dead stop. sometimes ill the reps non stop without any rest between reps. But that first rep is the hardest. by pausing, your doing the 1st rep over and over.

[quote]JamFly wrote:
Have you ever dieted down, have you any intention to diet down in future? What about plans for competition bb’ing or powerlifting?[/quote]

My perfect body will be to be a freaky monster, with solid abs. I don’t mean having a 6 pack. but just no gut at all, and solid. Sad to say, i almost never work my abs and haven’t for years. Im starting off doing planks. these actually work really well and also build the whole core. I don’t really care about competing. I probably will never just “diet” down. But i do want to keep getting bigger(as we all do) plus have a nice flat stomach. Im getting there.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

Cmon dude lol[/quote]

Im sure we have all gone through the search for the spotter episode. Sometimes i would get the shittiest spot ever. Plus, you end up cheating to puff up your ego. You pile on the weight, and the guys spotting you does most of the work. I don’t want to have to deal with people when i workout. a power rack, makes it so you don’t ever need a spotter and you can go as heavy as you want with no fear.

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

Cmon dude lol[/quote]

huh? what part of what i said makes you think i don’t know that a spotter isn’t needed?

its called a rhetorical question dude … cmon :wink:

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

No, I don’t do the power rack every chest workout. I split doing that and doing more hammer strength. My left elbow has been a little creeky lately. but thats due to doing straight bar curls. For whatever reason, that movement doesn’t agree with me.

Alot of gyms nowadays don’t have a power rack. Yes, I always start with the weight off my chest on a dead stop. sometimes ill the reps non stop without any rest between reps. But that first rep is the hardest. by pausing, your doing the 1st rep over and over.[/quote]

Ohh okay so its not really an incline pin press which is what i assumed, hence the elbow question.

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

Cmon dude lol[/quote]

huh? what part of what i said makes you think i don’t know that a spotter isn’t needed?

its called a rhetorical question dude … cmon :wink:
[/quote]

I answer rhetorical questions.

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

Alot of gyms nowadays don’t have a power rack. Yes, I always start with the weight off my chest on a dead stop. sometimes ill the reps non stop without any rest between reps. But that first rep is the hardest. by pausing, your doing the 1st rep over and over.[/quote]

Ohh okay so its not really an incline pin press which is what i assumed, hence the elbow question.[/quote]

Well, the bar is set on pins right over my chest, so it is a pin press.

speaking of pressing. i read in the other thread about you that you bench over 500lbs. could you give us some insight into how you reached such an astounding weight. you also mentioned that you no longer train in the low rep range so i’m assuming you are repping that sort of weight. simply amazing!!! i would love to hear everything you have to say on the topic.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
speaking of pressing. i read in the other thread about you that you bench over 500lbs. could you give us some insight into how you reached such an astounding weight. you also mentioned that you no longer train in the low rep range so i’m assuming you are repping that sort of weight. simply amazing!!! i would love to hear everything you have to say on the topic. [/quote]

Ditto

I honestly was wondering how long it would take for somoene to surpass 495 for 6-15. Glad it happened, I was losing faith in the hardcoreness of this board

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

speaking of pressing. i read in the other thread about you that you bench over 500lbs. could you give us some insight into how you reached such an astounding weight. you also mentioned that you no longer train in the low rep range so i’m assuming you are repping that sort of weight. simply amazing!!! i would love to hear everything you have to say on the topic. [/quote]

Ditto

I honestly was wondering how long it would take for somoene to surpass 495 for 6-15. Glad it happened, I was losing faith in the hardcoreness of this board

[/quote]

That’s one hilarious range of reps.

Who goes from 6 to 15 depending on the day? 15 means you can toy with it. 6 means its a challenge where the last rep uses a spotter.

True, My max bench was over 500lbs. But after tearing my tricep tendon and needing surgery, I really don’t want that kind of injury again. So i just keep the reps higher. I train as heavy as possible in that range. How i got to that weight is what im doing now, alot of power rack work. thats always worked well for me.

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
The way you train is similar to how I train… once I started doing less sets per workout and hitting each bodypart at a higher frequency I had insane growth. [/quote]

Its funny, try and tell people to do less volume and they look at you like your nuts. I just say fine, keep doing 20 sets per bodypart and looking the same every year, never getting any stronger or bigger. Thats like working for free in my mind. Why bother working out if your not going to progress.[/quote]

I know in other threads people have tried to mock you when talking about your training, but it’s really close to what I do aswell (just never been that open about it).

Always settled on a handful of sets per bodypart and done up to twice a week (worked 10x better). Only time volume is higher is after a reset/deload when I felt I needed it (burned out) - I’ll increase volume somewhat while load is lower.

Same goes for diet, always fall back on the shakes, more-so than solid food. It’s not ideal and people can laugh all they want but at the end of the day it works (so long as there’s enough cals/protein).

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

Its funny, try and tell people to do less volume and they look at you like your nuts. I just say fine, keep doing 20 sets per bodypart and looking the same every year, never getting any stronger or bigger. Thats like working for free in my mind. Why bother working out if your not going to progress.[/quote]
I know in other threads people have tried to mock you when talking about your training, but it’s really close to what I do aswell (just never been that open about it).
[/quote]

Some people can progress for periods utilizing lower volume, and at other times with higher volume. Other people may always benefit from one or the other, while never needing to seek alternative protocols.

To throw out such a blanket statement about one type of training, especially in light of so many people who use a higher volume approach, openly showing their progress and results is simply a display of arrogance and ignorance in my opinion. There are many more factors involved in making progress than simple volume (look at some of the high school and college kids, putting in their volume, but doing everything incorrectly!)

Anyone who maintains the same approach after achieving little, if any, results is plain foolish. To say that one approach will work for everyone, and that other people are wasting their time, especially when the majority of people on here do not believe RV’s results are either true (his own doing for making outlandish claims and failing to provide any real shred of proof whatsoever), or impressive, is why he will continue to receive the reception he usually does.

I actually have nothing personal against RV. I’ve been on this site long enough to just ignore some of the posters who get caught up in their own idiosyncrasies, and various delusions, but until someone either displays real world results (strength or physique) as some sort of proof of knowledge, or displays in their postings a degree of knowledge and understanding of what is pretty much understood aspects of training and nutrition, I will not consider them a worthwhile source of opinion on anything we typically discuss on here.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[/quote]

Some people can progress for periods utilizing lower volume, and at other times with higher volume. Other people may always benefit from one or the other, while never needing to seek alternative protocols.

To throw out such a blanket statement about one type of training, especially in light of so many people who use a higher volume approach, openly showing their progress and results is simply a display of arrogance and ignorance in my opinion. There are many more factors involved in making progress than simple volume (look at some of the high school and college kids, putting in their volume, but doing everything incorrectly!)

Anyone who maintains the same approach after achieving little, if any, results is plain foolish. To say that one approach will work for everyone, and that other people are wasting their time, especially when the majority of people on here do not believe RV’s results are either true (his own doing for making outlandish claims and failing to provide any real shred of proof whatsoever), or impressive, is why he will continue to receive the reception he usually does.

I actually have nothing personal against RV. I’ve been on this site long enough to just ignore some of the posters who get caught up in their own idiosyncrasies, and various delusions, but until someone either displays real world results (strength or physique) as some sort of proof of knowledge, or displays in their postings a degree of knowledge and understanding of what is pretty much understood aspects of training and nutrition, I will not consider them a worthwhile source of opinion on anything we typically discuss on here.

S[/quote]

I never said that higher volume doesn’t work. but i seem to make better progress when i keep the volume low. When you do a higher volume, it does take longer to recover, given your training with decent intensity. Of course higher volume works. enough people have had great results with it. but the name of the game is to find what works best for you.

The guys I commented on, are doing tons of volume and never seem to get any bigger. And when i suggest to maybe cutting back on the volume, they seem to get offended. Obviously if doing high volume isn’t working for them, then try lower volume.

[/quote]

S[/quote]

So uh…do you like me?

S[/quote]

When I first came here, because of my limited experience with other people’s training (and from reading dogmatic articles for “hardgainers” wanting size) I was pretty narrow minded/brainwashed and thought everyone responded to that lol. So I can see where some people are coming from when it comes to the volume variable.

I’ll be the first to agree that it’s silly to make out that there’s no other possible way of building muscle other than the “low volume” way (have been very guilty of this in the past). Just thought I’d chip in about my training being generally like that :slight_smile:

But yeah, personally I would never tell someone that they’re wasting their time if they’re getting results like you said (they obviously know what they’re doing) - it is pretty insulting to be told that you get results in spite of your training haha