Roger Gracie Bodog Fight

As of recently Roger Gracie will debut in his first mixed martial art fight on Bodog Fight against Ron Waterman. Besides being related to the Gracie’s Roger should not be taken lightly. He has taken first in every competition that was thrown at him especially the Mundials.

And has been crowned a champion of the 2005 ADCC(Abu Dhabi Combat Club), more famously known as the world submission wrestling championships. Winning 88 - 98kg division and the Open Weight Division tapping out all 8 competitors, which has never been done before.

What are his chances against Ron Waterman, not that this will be a jobber match.

Waterman is so overpowering and there will be a tremendous strength disadvantage to this Gracie. Unless he gets a lucky tap out hold, Waterman will break him in half.

[quote]MrCritical wrote:
Waterman is so overpowering and there will be a tremendous strength disadvantage to this Gracie. Unless he gets a lucky tap out hold, Waterman will break him in half. [/quote]

Haven’t you embarassed yourself in other MMA-related threads? I made a mental note to disregard anything you and W8 Logic say about MMA training or competitions, because of the embarassingly stupid things you guys (maybe you’re the same person?) have said.

Find a new subject to be an “expert” in. You’ve already been exposed as an MMA poser.

[quote]MrCritical wrote:
Waterman is so overpowering and there will be a tremendous strength disadvantage to this Gracie. Unless he gets a lucky tap out hold, Waterman will break him in half. [/quote]

Bob Sapp and Zuluzhino both saw their strength advantages go to shit against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Larger opponents are not guaranteed to win against smaller BJJ practitioners.

Ron Waterman is very strong, however I would not discount Roger Gracie so easily…

I’ve seen him train in person, and to me, he looked like an absolute phenom technically. Maybe the Gracie hype holds some veracity to it this time.

I have no knowledge of Roger Gracie, but am pretty familiar with H20. He’s no phenom but Ron is a strong bastard and a pretty tough MMA debut in my book. I’ll be sure to watch this.

No one from California can legitimately use the word “discredited” about any mofo walking the earth.

Roger armbarred that ancient fuck in Round 1. Hard to say, but he looks like he can go places. At least he was smart enough to dodge the “Do you want to fight Fedor” question.

Pretty impressive. I wonder if Sakuraba could man handle this Gracie too…

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
Pretty impressive. I wonder if Sakuraba could man handle this Gracie too…[/quote]

Maybe he should handle his possible impending death first?

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
Pretty impressive. I wonder if Sakuraba could man handle this Gracie too…[/quote]

I like Sakuraba, but (in my opinion) this would be a much harder test than Royce or Renzo…not quite ready to hop on the Roger Gracie bandwagon yet, but it was nice to see that his grappling skills translated well into MMA.

Newbie alert…

…both to T-Nation and MMA, but I had the opportunity to see this fight in person and photograph the whole event… holy crap, that caught my attention! The Pele-Silva match was incredible as well. It’s great to see the underdog win! With the added honour of being able to see an event of this magnitude behind-the-scenes, I must say I was impressed.

As an RKC, my background is in kettlebells; anyone know which MMA fighters train with KBs?

[quote]Naphta wrote:
DooMMOoD wrote:

Maybe he should handle his possible impending death first?[/quote]

Absolutely. His fight Dec. 31st is going to be a real test of whether or not he can still throw down without getting seriously hurt.

[quote]Naphta wrote:
DooMMOoD wrote:

Maybe he should handle his possible impending death first?[/quote]

The K-1 ref is going to be sweating some fucking bullets when Saku steps into the ring again. I thought he was going to have to get carried out Gladiator style last time when they reset the fight in the center instead of stopping it.

I got to train with Roger before this fight. His grappling is beyond anyone who’s previously fought in mma IMHO. What he accomplished in ADCC 2005 was truly amazing.
He did great in his debut and with the right tune up fights he could run the UFC heavy division I think. MMA is new for him and so far he’s done well but he has a tough road ahead of him. He needs to improve stand up but otherwise this guy is a legit contender.

He is a smart kid and knows he needs to focus on boxing for a bit.
Roger is 6’5" 220 so I don’t think Sakuraba would have much of a chance with him.

I thought he was respectful in addressing the Fedor question. I thought it was a tough one. Everyone knows no matter what kind of grappler you are you can’t fight MMA one time and then go fight Fedor. Jeez, give the kid some time to grow. hahaha

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:

What is there to wonder? He has had ONE fight. You can tell little about a fighter after one fight - especially as related to his fighting someone like Sakuraba.

Why not let Gracie win, say, 8 fights before you immortalize him or wonder if he’s the next Fedor?