Rogan vs. Mencia - More Evidence

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I remember there was speculation that Carlos did like 15 minutes solid of George Lopez material… If we could get an audio/video of that, THAT would be more than convincing.

I’ll look right now actually.[/quote]

-Here is a clip of 3 OTHER people doing the “who’s going to build the wall?” joke, including DL Hugely and George Lopez

http://www.dead-frog.com/archives/2007/02/joke_stealing_ari_shaffir_carlos_mencia_dl_hughley_george_lopez_joe_rogan.php

-Dane Cook “stealing” from Louis CK

• I can see the Car joke, and itchy Asshole, but the names one it kinda universal, Steve Martin did it… Turns out Dane Cook is regularly accused of stealing material as well.
  • Looked for about 30 minutes and couldnt find one bit of evidence that Mencia steals Lopez material except for lopez saying he does… Not enough to convince me.

-Apparently there is a video of Mencia and Rogan settling things that has carlos admitting he does it, but every video is “down”.

-Here is a 30 minute clip of Rogan calling out cook and few others… But this is just rogan calling people out.

http://media.putfile.com/Joe-Rogan-Exposes-Joke-Thieves

I am guessing a lot of the people here defending Mencia and the joke stealing practice don’t have friends in the comedy business or trying to get into the comedy business.

[quote]Ren wrote:
I am guessing a lot of the people here defending Mencia and the joke stealing practice don’t have friends in the comedy business or trying to get into the comedy business.[/quote]

Couldnt be more wrong in my case. I would love to get into the business and I currently have a friend doing the same.

Joke stealing is a fairly serious matter for sure, I would be PISSED if I saw someone do my friends material or something I wrote.

I just havent seen any conclusive evidence to suggest that Menia is actually “stealing” material. This is what I have heard/seen:

• The “Who is going to build the wall?” joke. The video I posted above has 3 other people doing the EXACT same joke, who knows how many other non-filmed comics made that joke?

• George Lopez claiming that Carlos stole a full 12 minutes of his material. This is a HUGE accusation and I haven’t found one shred of evidence to back it up other than…GEORGE LOPEZ SAYING IT.

• I could go either way on the Cosby thing, to me its an obvious joke, but that was the most conclusive evidence I have seen mainly because of the setup.

• The Stereotype Olympics is not even a question of stealing, its such an obvious idea that I have no doubt more than 2 people have thought of it OR done it.

• I don’t really find Carlos’ material all that funny, nor do I watch his show that much. I’m not defending him so much as I just want to see REAL proof.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Ren wrote:
I am guessing a lot of the people here defending Mencia and the joke stealing practice don’t have friends in the comedy business or trying to get into the comedy business.

Couldnt be more wrong in my case. I would love to get into the business and I currently have a friend doing the same.

Joke stealing is a fairly serious matter for sure, I would be PISSED if I saw someone do my friends material or something I wrote.

I just havent seen any conclusive evidence to suggest that Menia is actually “stealing” material. This is what I have heard/seen:

• The “Who is going to build the wall?” joke. The video I posted above has 3 other people doing the EXACT same joke, who knows how many other non-filmed comics made that joke?

• George Lopez claiming that Carlos stole a full 12 minutes of his material. This is a HUGE accusation and I haven’t found one shred of evidence to back it up other than…GEORGE LOPEZ SAYING IT.

• I could go either way on the Cosby thing, to me its an obvious joke, but that was the most conclusive evidence I have seen mainly because of the setup.

• The Stereotype Olympics is not even a question of stealing, its such an obvious idea that I have no doubt more than 2 people have thought of it OR done it.

• I don’t really find Carlos’ material all that funny, nor do I watch his show that much. I’m not defending him so much as I just want to see REAL proof.[/quote]

Lonnie 123 are you really Carlos Mencia? That’s the only way you could justify his actions – if they were really your own.

Hmmmm???

There’s another instance of mencia stealing one of joe’s friends Ari’s jokes as well. I don’t think rogan would make this up. he’s a loudmouth, but he’s usually saying what should be said i think, that’s why i like him

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
Ren wrote:

• I don’t really find Carlos’ material all that funny, nor do I watch his show that much. I’m not defending him so much as I just want to see REAL proof.

Lonnie 123 are you really Carlos Mencia? That’s the only way you could justify his actions – if they were really your own.

Hmmmm???
[/quote]

That fat ass Mencia wouldn’t step one foot into T-Nation. Trust me.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
I don’t like Mencia and never have…he’s just not funny. But, joke stealing has been around as long as there have been clowns and comedians. The late great Milton Berle was accused of stealing everything that he ever did to evoke laughter from an audience.
[/quote]

This idea that everyone’s doing it, and has done it for years is ridiculous. I don’t care how many comics steal jokes, that doesn’t make it okay. Maybe Mencia is targeted because he is the most obvious, maybe he’s targeted because people don’t like him. Either way, it doesn’t matter. I’ve heard the same thing about Dane Cook (he’s not funny by the way, just a great marketer), but I’ve never seen any evidence so I won’t say that. Just because there is no way (at least currently) to enforce intellectual property rights in the stand up business, doesn’t mean that stealing is okay. That is why the only recourse is to expose him.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Nothingface wrote:
nephorm wrote:
http://www.digg.com/offbeat_news/Carlos_Mencia_banned_from_the_Mikey_Radio_Show_Caught_using_a_stolen_bit

I didn’t hear about that one. It just keeps piling up.

Comedy is about EXTREMES… If your bread and butter is stereotypes, the extreme is to have them all face off in an olmpics-type event… I’m sure a group of kids in every high school in America has thought of this.[/quote]

I agree that many people could think about an idea and find it to be a generally funny concept. But writing a specific joke or scenario relating to that idea is another story. It just won’t happen very often. And no, most kids or people could not come up with these things and make them funny. Many people think they’re funny, but they’re just repeating things they’ve heard and seen from various forms of comedy.

That is an obvious joke.

First off, I am/was a huge Carloths fan.

The joke about building the wall, is/was a current topic, so it easy to have similar takes; however, when you are one of the bigger comedians in the industry, you have to look for harder material and not the obvious. I thought of the same thing about the fence before I heard it told as a joke. So, if I can think of it, it isn’t as funny when a comedian says the same thing. It is the unexpected that is teh funny.

Before “Mind of Mencia”, I would have been a little more ignorant of this accusation, but since his show, his material has declined and wasn’t funny nor fresh, as well as his head grew larger.

And there is no way around The Cosby bit. That ish was stolen.

As far as George Lopez, when I was listening to his CD in my cousins car one day, I thought he was stealing Carlos’ bit, but apparently it was the other way around, and George Lopez confronted him and actually busted Carlos in the head.

All I know is, I will not spend another dime on Carlos again. I was once a huge supporter, but no longer.

Thanks mother fcukers. The next thing you are going to tell me is there is no Santa Claus!

Mencia may be a joke thief, I really don’t know nor have I seen much of his show but after checking out Rogan’s website it seems Rogan is obsessed with the guy and is really bitter.

It makes Rogan seem pathetic.

I listen to the comedy channel on XM Radio every time I am driving somewhere.

Honestly - if you are going to crucify Mencia for “stealing” jokes, then just about every other comic that makes it to XMComedy is a fucking thief.

Originality wrt to content is reserved for Black, White, Hedberg, Murphy, and Pryor.

Everyone else is just adding shtick, or gimmick to old jokes.

Rogan and originality are hardly interchangeable words. I find it hilarious that he’s championing the Mencia Lynch Mob.