Rodney Dangerfield and Bodybuilders

this is to the guy that said that football players are more athletic than bodybuilders, my question is what are your standars?, is it running, or endurace, perhaps the actual ability to “kick ass” because then any martial artist would be more of an athlete than uhhh…any other athlete, check mark kerr from ultimate figthing championship he’s huge, ripped, fast, and can figth, and by the way who told u that bodybuilders cant run a basketball court? have u run along them?, in fact using anabolic steroids actually increses cardiovascular capacity, i post this cus’ you should judge an athlete within his or her sport.

They’re all homos!!!

Personally, I think the guys of K-1 are modern studs. And boxers. Have always been in awe of boxers. But the bodybuilders of 20-30 years ago? They were cool. Frank Zane, Tom Platz, Danny Padilla, Robby Robinson, Franco, Serge Nubret - I could go on (Mohamed Makkawy, Lee Haney?). As for the women, how about Mary Roberts, Deborah Diana, Carla Dunlap, Carla Temple, Lori Bowen, Kay Baxter, Marjo Selin, and yes, even the “Dlish McDish”(as Rick Wayne liked to call her), Rachel McLish.

Ah, remember how BB back then created human sculptures of such physical perfection that even the Greeks would have been envious? NOW look at the current state of this "sport". Just getting big and "freaky" ain't a good enough reason to admire someone. Y'know seein' a big, freaky humongoloid is shocking for THAT moment. However, seeing something like a "David" and admiring the beauty and sheer physical perfection lingers on for days. THAT'S impressive.

The only reason I don’t like professional bodybuilders is because they are so freaky that no one wants or could ever hope to look like. I don’t take roids, never would, and so their hard work and dedication doesn’t apply to me.

Bushido, I was just stating my opinion. We all seem to have strong ones on this issue, as evidenced by all the replies. Comparing athletes within their individual sport is important, you’re right. But I do not consider bodybuilding a sport. Again, my opinion, and it may be wrong.

Pat (and others!)My gosh…when do you think that the judging and criteria started getting so bizarre and out of hand?

FOR THE WOMEN: Some say with Cory, but I have pics of her, and her symmetry/size were beautiful (along with Anja, Marlo, et.al). Linda Murray after her had beautiful lines also. Was it the “harsher” look that began to show after Kim Chizevsky? Just a thought…

FOR THE MEN: Some say the “monsters” came in an attempt to catch Dorian. However…I think the “power brokers” of the game could have sent the correct message out by rewarding the LaBrada’s, Bennefatto’s, Paris’s,and yes, Ray’s of the game. In the mid to late 80’s/early 90’s these guys could usually muster out a 3rd or 4th in the Olympia (at best), but were eventually “pushed out”, many unwilling to sacrifice symmetry and lines for size. Again…just a thought…

By the way. For you people who use the limp excuse that goes something like this:

“I ain’t payin’ to see nobody that ain’t HUGE! I can see that in the gym!”

Believe me…you will NOT see physiques like Cory, Lee, Anja, Francis, Marlo, Shawn, Zane, et. al. in your everyday gym…

Mufasa

Hmmm, Mufasa, I’m thinkin’ long and hard over your question. And I’ve got all these thoughts racing through my brain. I remember the scene from Pumping Iron 2, where Doris Barrileaux had to check Rachel McLish’s top for “illegal” padding - then not more than two years later, Cory Everson is winning the Ms. Olympia with breast implants. I remember when Lee Haney placed third in the '83 Olympia, his symmetry wasn’t up to par yet (small biceps, was one reason) - but yet, Dorian was able to retain his title and also received first places in the symmetry round even with a torn bicep (that was quite evident)! AND remember when Dorian placed second to Haney - cuz his symmetry just wasn’t as good. Wierd, huh?

Or how about when Platz got third in a Olympia, but should have clearly placed higher. The "Golden Eagle" was obviously shafted. The judging of bodybuilding has always been questionable, in my humble opinion. Carla Dunlap should have won in '82, but lost to Rachel (and Carla was in better shape - but not "marketable"). At least she won in '83.

I have never liked or admired Dorian Yates. The same with Kim Chezevsky. They were just "big, hard and freaky" - not symmetrical, muscular, human sculptures.

But what do they (the powers that be)do now to help save BB from the depths of "sub culture"? Can they go back 12-years? In a way, I hope they do - at least for the women. I saw a glimmer of hope in the form of Valentina Chepiga. Her physique is attainable - well, she's what, 5'4" and weighs around 135lbs for contest. NOT 155+ like some of the other women - that's just icky. And she's got beautiful symmetry and that feminine allure. Still. As for the men, I don't know. However I don't think the judging, IFBB or NPC have that power anymore. It's the competitors. The men are the ones who are driving themselves to becoming "freaks". The competitors can easily put a stop to this "trend" and come back down to sanity by coming into a contest in a shape THEY want. Men and women. By just uniting on that one ideal. The hell with that now lame-o excuse "the judging...". Judging has ALWAYS been screwy. BB is so subjective. However, it's the competitors who push the envelope. The judges have to go by what's presented to them up on stage.

My thoughts.......sorting them out aloud.

I have another thought that I mentioned in another string. Look back at old pics of Zane and Arnold at the Olympia. My favorite pose is the vacuum. Obviously, Ronnie Coleman couldn’t do a vacuum at the 2001 Mr. Olympia contest if someone stuck a Bissel down his throat. His big ol’ distended belly was disgusting!

Bring back the Vacuum, out goes Coleman, in comes the aesthetically pleasing guys like Shawn Ray.

Yeah, I definitely think they should bring back the “vacuum” in contests !!! I superset vacuums with abs and I get a humongous burn from it, I love it !! ….my gut wasn’t near as big as those pros were, even back in the day where I was a drinking a 12 pack everyday… those guys have an inside-out beer gut… abs on the outside and it seems that their “gut” is in the inside… totally unsymmetrical I think !!.. pros just look like fat guys when clothed… vacuums are so under-rated these days !!..

Great replies, guys! You seem to be echoing what I have
felt all along, that one has to get nostalgic in order to have
an appreciation for body building. The players on
today’s stage are devoid of mystique as well as aesthetics.
Those bloated “GH bellies” are the curse of modern day
body building!

My favorite bodybuilding recollection: At age fourteen I was lucky enough to witness Sergio Oliva guest posing at the MR. USA in Passaic, N.J. Sergio had just hit his patented "most muscular pose,"and the place f#@%!$& EXPLODED!. COOL! (This sight has remained with me well into adulthood.)

they’re all fags man

UUuummm…I’m not feelin’ much love for the Pro’s , guys…not much love AT ALL!!!:-)–!!!

I understand your points, and I don’t completely disagee…but is there SOMETHING you like that they do that is motivational?

Bodybuilding = a sport? No, it is a joke. It’s about looking at other men oiled up in speedos. Professional bodybuilding is about taking steroids, insulin, growth hormone, thyroid meds, female medications, going tanning, injecting your biceps with cooking oil, and preening onstage. It’s about doing gay things with rich old men to pay for your steroids. It’s about fruity clown clothes, having a bad attitude and getting involved with the already dubious “personal training” movement. It is about lying through your teeth to promote supplements to 14 year olds when everyone knows that the secret to your success is anabolic steroids. Bodybuilding deserves the same type of attention as cockfighting and eating contests. The last time it deserved respect was when it was offered as a sideshow after a lifting competition and men like Grimek and Reeves were involved. Men who were strong as oxen and lived a healthy drug-free lifestyle, making it into their 80s still fit. Men who you could have your children look up to. When I first started my job as a high school coach, one of the first things I did was take down all the posters in the weight room featuring roided up bodybuilders and replace them with pictures of drug-free athletes, such as old school lifters, natural powerlifters and local college athletes I know are good role models.

Mufasa: I once had a great love for pro bodybuilding, and
a deep respect for its participants. But that was laid to rest
on Monday, March 14, 1996, along with Andreas Munzer,
31, who died because of kidney, liver and heart failure.

It was at that time that I became aware of just how much drugs those guys were really using. I had no idea of the true extent! No longer was it about who had the best diet or training strategy, but who dared to take the most drugs! (Any inspiration I once drew from these people has all but disappeared!)

Joey Z.

Well, I like King Kamali’s posing routine. And Vince Taylor is just a class act all the way around. Kudos to Flex for dropping all of the bloat that he’d put on trying to unseat Ronnie. He (Flex) should forget about being a personal trainer (what does someone with his genetics know about training anyway?) and start some sort of travelling “body beautiful show” or something. Get Shawn Ray to help out, bring Lee Labrada out of retirement. Now there would be something that would be a positive influence.