T Nation

Rocky Marciano

Sorry about that, anyway.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047//stamina.html

Rocky Marciano’s training. Please READ. It says how he would run an average 5 miles of day even when he wasn’t training for a fight.

Man had dedication and heart.

Respect for Rocky. 49-0. Enough said.

The Greatest of all Time.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
[/quote]

racist

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

racist[/quote]
What? 49-0 speaks for itself, especially for heavyweights.

Rocky was awesome. Caught the ESPN Ringside on him the other night, I was glued to the TV. Very bizzare personal habits, definitely an intriguing figure.

You think those training methods would work even today. Constantly running 5 plus miles day in and day out. Having 2 plus months worth of training camps.

Just read how he trained and answer:

Could those training methods work even today?

[quote]rander wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

racist

[/quote]

I am joking.

SO THERE! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, I have the utmost respect for Rocky Marciano. Anyone described as ‘like Joe Frazier but much more violent’ is cool with my stocky butt.

As for the training…some people have freak genetics for volume. I wish that was me.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
rander wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

racist

I am joking.[/quote]

i dont think you were

[quote]rander wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
rander wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

racist

I am joking.

haha

i dont think you were
[/quote]

[quote]rander wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
rander wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

racist

I am joking.

i dont think you were
[/quote]

I would give you a longer explaination but I am late for my Black Panthers rally.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
You think those training methods would work even today. Constantly running 5 plus miles day in and day out. Having 2 plus months worth of training camps.

Just read how he trained and answer:

Could those training methods work even today?[/quote]

Of course they could. The human body hasn’t changed in forty years… so why would the training method not work?

Most boxers do just that, just are not as dedicated as Rock.

I love the Rock, I have seen many of his fights on super 8 mm. If you got hit with the straight right that he called “Susey Q” it was all over, just ask Joe Louis.

George

Dan Gable was another freak when it came to training. They say the day after he won his Olympic gold, he was up early and running, getting ready for the next match.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
Dan Gable was another freak when it came to training. They say the day after he won his Olympic gold, he was up early and running, getting ready for the next match.[/quote]

Gable had a one term olympic gold. Did he compete in anymore and if not, why such a short career?

Rocky Marciano at his peak fighting condition would get knocked out by any of the top heavy weights in the last 3 decades. Ali, Forman, Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield…

His conditioning was good, but I think you really underestimate the workouts these guys do nowadays. The conditioning he did, was what the average amatuer trying to get seriously into boxing will be required to do.

And to be honest he would not even fight heavywieght. Since he was so light 185.

People under 200 lbs are in love with the typical 5’10 ripped athletic mens health frame, but they don’t rule every division. Guys ruin their careers trying to fight heavyweights nowadays(Roy Jones).

By saying he would beat these guys your saying that over the last 70 years of training Boxing coaches have learned nothing. That would be stupid.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Rocky Marciano at his peak fighting condition would get knocked out by any of the top heavy weights in the last 3 decades. Ali, Forman, Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield…

His conditioning was good, but I think you really underestimate the workouts these guys do nowadays. The conditioning he did, was what the average amatuer trying to get seriously into boxing will be required to do.

And to be honest he would not even fight heavywieght. Since he was so light 185.

People under 200 lbs are in love with the typical 5’10 ripped athletic mens health frame, but they don’t rule every division. Guys ruin their careers trying to fight heavyweights nowadays(Roy Jones).

By saying he would beat these guys your saying that over the last 70 years of training Boxing coaches have learned nothing. That would be stupid.[/quote]

Good post.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

By saying he would beat these guys your saying that over the last 70 years of training Boxing coaches have learned nothing. That would be stupid.

Good post.
[/quote]

1. Rocky would now, not compete at heavy weight.

2. some boxing coaches have learned nothing over the past decades. Case in point - LSD training - is it optimum? Possibly not. Is it heavily prescribed - definately so. In addition, all fighters perform resistance training of some sort (heavy bag, bodyweight), but coaches shy away from resistance provided by a dumbell/barbell. In some circles ignorance still rules.

3. A prime foreman would clear up the current heavyweight division with ease. In this regard, boxing at the heavyweight level has just not progressed imo.

Just some thoughts.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

[/quote]

Please tell me how Roy Jones ruined his career trying to fight heavyweights. The only heavyweight he ever fought was John Ruiz, and he took his WBA title from him. Explain yourself.