Rocky Marciano

[quote]oriensus wrote:
I seriously DOUBT Marciano can beat Ali.[/quote]

I think he could for the reason that I explain a few posts above. Why don’t you think he could have?

Why do you think there is a bigger pool of fighters now?

In fact, during the depression era and many years after that many kids attempted to escape poverty by boxing. Many, many more kids were involved in boxing 50 (or more) years ago. In fact, it was part of the curriculumn of many High Schools!

As a direct counter point, I wonder how many guys would be boxing today if it was not for the popularity of mma?

If Marciano was in his primve today he would be the heavyweight boxing champion of the world.

Here’s what the great Joe Louis had to say about Rocky.

“I had a bad weakness I kept hid throughout my career. I didn’t like to be crowded, and Marciano always crowded his opponents. That’s why I say I could never have beaten him.”

Joe Louis, May, 1990 issue of Boxing Illustrated

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Jprocrastinator wrote:
GoatScroat wrote:
He beat Joe Louis’s ass!!!

“Joe Louis was 76 years old!”

“Rocky Marciano, Rocky Marciano, why is it everytime I start talking about boxing some white guy has to pull Rocky Marciano out of his ass?!”

Marciano was one of the best. Why you need to bring color into the equation means only one thing…and it’s not good.

Joe Louis was 37 years old when he fought Marciano, certainly past his prime. But then again every fighter who has been around a while fights some who are older than he is.

Title fights:

Dempsey was 13 years younger than Willard

James J. Jefferies was 12 years younger than Bob Fitzsimmons

Louis was 12 years younger than Braddock

Ali was 10 years younger than Liston{b]Did people say that Ali only won because he fought an older man? [/b]

Holmes was 6 years younger than Norton

Spinks was 11 years younger than Ali

Tyson was 14 years younger than Trevor Berbick (WBC Champion)

Tyson was 12 years younger than James “Bonecrusher” Smith (WBA Champion)

Jim Corbett was 8 years younger than John L. Sullivan

Non-title fights:

Ali was 19 years younger than Archie Moore!!!

Patterson was 21 years younger than Archie Moore!!!

Joe Louis was 9 years younger than Max Schmelling.

Louis was 12 years younger than Jack Sharkey

Ali was 8 years younger than Henry Cooper

Ali was 7 years younger than Patterson

[/quote]

HAHAHA Marciano is actually my favorite. I was just quoting the barber in the movie “Coming to America.” That’s why my stuff is in quotes.

[quote]oriensus wrote:
I seriously DOUBT Marciano can beat Ali. And also, the guys today have more natural talent than the past fighters simply because of bigger pool of fighters to draw from.
[/quote]

There isn’t more natural talent at all nowadays- people don’t get “born with more talent” as the years go on. They might be bigger and stronger now, but then that’s why I dig boxing- its far more about heart and spirit than any other sport.

[quote]
I do however, admire Marciano’s intensity and being able to dominate the game during his time despite being pretty much the smallest guy. I bet he would be perfect for today’s MMA fights in his weight class.[/quote]

Haha. See, I think he would get the shit beat out of him. I could see Ali being quick enough to be MMA material, but I think Marciano was just born to box. He was a natural brawler that fits in perfectly to boxing.

Pretty cool page describing Rocky Marciano’s training here:

[quote]Jprocrastinator wrote:
GoatScroat wrote:

“Rocky Marciano, Rocky Marciano, why is it everytime I start talking about boxing some white guy has to pull Rocky Marciano out of his ass?!”[/quote]

I was waiting for this quote. If you didn’t do it, I was going to have to.

I would have expected nothing less of the Nation than to pull this out of the archives. All is right in the world.

Excellent work!

For the guy who didn’t ‘get it’ you have some work to do:)

[quote]ZEB wrote:
oriensus wrote:

If Marciano was in his primve today he would be the heavyweight boxing champion of the world.

[/quote]

Yup. Most of the guys today are prima-donna pussy’s. Marciano would make them cry like bitches. If you looked up ‘granite chin’, ‘slugger’, ‘power puncher extraordinaire’ and ‘only undefeated heavyweight champion of all time’, you’d see the same man’s picture all 4 times…ROCKY

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
oriensus wrote:

Haha. See, I think he would get the shit beat out of him. I could see Ali being quick enough to be MMA material, but I think Marciano was just born to box. He was a natural brawler that fits in perfectly to boxing.[/quote]

lol. I hope that was a joke!!

[quote]Pound4Pound wrote:
ZEB wrote:
oriensus wrote:

Yup. Most of the guys today are prima-donna pussy’s. Marciano would make them cry like bitches. If you looked up ‘granite chin’, ‘slugger’, ‘power puncher extraordinaire’ and ‘only undefeated heavyweight champion of all time’, you’d see the same man’s picture all 4 times…ROCKY[/quote]

Gene Tunney also retired as undefeated heavyweight champion of the world.

I vote for most BAMF boxer in history

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:

[/quote]

Second for HW vote. I’d take Sugar over them all though.

Sifu wrote:
No way Marciano was the best ever. Marciano never had any real competition. A way past his prime Joe Lewis went 8 rounds with him. He’s no Ali who defeated Liston, Frazier and Foreman,

No way man. Everyone who fought him said that they had never seen anything like him, and his power was unbelievable.

I believe he would have beaten Ali- Marciano’s swarming style and cement chin would have run Ali down and dropped him in the 14th or 15th.

On a side note, I really wish they went back to 15 rounds. That seperated the men from the champions.
[/quote]

Separated the men from the champions? What does that even mean?

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:

[/quote]

Jack Dempsey buddy. By far.

"He was 187 pounds of unbridled violence"

Dempsey was five inches shorter and 58 pounds lighter than the 6-foot-6, 245-pound champion, Jess Willard. But on July 4, 1919, under the broiling sun in Toledo, Ohio, Dempsey broke Willard’s jaw with one of his first punches, a devastating left hook. He knocked Willard down seven times in the first round and walloped him for two more rounds. When Willard didn’t come out for the fourth round, he had four teeth missing, his eyes were closed, his nose was smashed and two ribs were cracked, not to mention the broken jaw.

"Sept. 14, 1923, Dempsey had a slugfest with Luis Firpo, a 216-pounder from Argentina who was called “the Wild Bull of the Pampas.” Firpo’s first punch was a thunderous right to the jaw that put the champ down. Dempsey jumped off the canvas before a count could be started and proceeded to knock down Firpo seven times. "

http://home.swipnet.se/roland/dempsey.html

More Marciano for you all.

Oh and he would be a cruiserweight in today’s boxing of a million and one weight classes.

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
Jprocrastinator wrote:
GoatScroat wrote:

“Rocky Marciano, Rocky Marciano, why is it everytime I start talking about boxing some white guy has to pull Rocky Marciano out of his ass?!”

I would have expected nothing less of the Nation than to pull this out of the archives. All is right in the world.

Excellent work!

For the guy who didn’t ‘get it’ you have some work to do:)[/quote]

I almost shit myself laughing when i realized he was serious. How Could you not know that line?! That movie is classic.

CU AeroStallion wrote:

Dempsey was five inches shorter and 58 pounds lighter than the 6-foot-6, 245-pound champion, Jess Willard. But on July 4, 1919, under the broiling sun in Toledo, Ohio, Dempsey broke Willard’s jaw with one of his first punches, a devastating left hook. He knocked Willard down seven times in the first round and walloped him for two more rounds. When Willard didn’t come out for the fourth round, he had four teeth missing, his eyes were closed, his nose was smashed and two ribs were cracked, not to mention the broken jaw.

"Sept. 14, 1923, Dempsey had a slugfest with Luis Firpo, a 216-pounder from Argentina who was called “the Wild Bull of the Pampas.” Firpo’s first punch was a thunderous right to the jaw that put the champ down. Dempsey jumped off the canvas before a count could be started and proceeded to knock down Firpo seven times. "

[/quote]

Is it odd that fear crept over me just reading that?

I’m going to check under my bed and in my closet before I sleep tonight. Thanks asshole.

[quote]Jprocrastinator wrote:
Dr. Ryan wrote:
Jprocrastinator wrote:
GoatScroat wrote:

Excellent work!

I almost shit myself laughing when i realized he was serious. How Could you not know that line?! That movie is classic.[/quote]

What movie is that!?

i like that clip except that it shows him beating joe louis in the first part of the video.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
CU AeroStallion wrote:

Is it odd that fear crept over me just reading that?

I’m going to check under my bed and in my closet before I sleep tonight. Thanks asshole.
[/quote]

It sucks that there are no real video clips of him because it was so long ago.

However, when you read about him, you realize that this guy was just badass…he’s the kind of guy that doesn’t win on points, he wins because if you don’t stop, he’ll kill you.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Jprocrastinator wrote:
Dr. Ryan wrote:
Jprocrastinator wrote:
GoatScroat wrote:

Excellent work!

I almost shit myself laughing when i realized he was serious. How Could you not know that line?! That movie is classic.

What movie is that!?
[/quote]

Coming to America