Rockets Fired at Children

Soldiers evacuate babies from Israeli daycare centre as Islamic Jihad rockets fall

Last updated at 08:53am on 3rd September 2007

Soldiers scrambled to evacuate babies from a day care center in rocket-scarred Sderot today after a projectile fired by Palestinian militants thudded into the courtyard.

None of the 15 babies at the center was hurt. But frantic parents across the city - already furious over the government’s failure to protect them and their children from the near-daily rocket fire - pulled their children out of schools on the second day of the academic year.

The army said six rockets were fired at the southern Israeli city, which lies just a few kilometres from the Gaza Strip, and at least one landed. The Islamic Jihad militant group claimed responsibiity for firing three.

Lebanese army kills 39 militants as resistance collapses in northern Palestinian refugee camp

Batya Katar, head of the Sderot Parents Association, said parents were pulling all 2,500 of the town’s students out of school.

“Buses are already on the way to pick up students who haven’t been taken home already,” Katar said by telephone, the voices of panicked parents audible in the background. The government promised to move students out of the city if there was an escalation in Palestinian rocket fire, she said.

“This is an escalation, but there is no sign of any solution,” Katar said.

Wary parents in Sderot threatened not to send their children to school on the first day of the year on Sunday. But they lifted the strike threat after being promised the schools were properly protected and that shelters had been upgraded.

Sderot, a working-class town of 22,000, has been battered by thousands of the crude projectiles launched in recent years from Gaza. The rockets rarely cause serious injuries or damage, but they have killed 12 people in the past seven years, and because of their frequency, wreak panic in the city.

To calm jittery residents ahead of the school year, the military dispatched more than 200 soldiers to accompany students back to school in Sderot and instruct them on emergency procedures.

Share this article:What is this?Digg it | Del.icio.us | Reddit | Newsvine | Nowpublic

Add your comment Comments (2)

Here’s what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below?

Thank you for your comments, Danny. We, in Israel, are totally frustrated and angry with this so-called government! You are right - no other country would put up with this!

• Chaya, Bat Yam, Israel

What other country in the world apart from Israel would put up with its neighbour firing rockets indiscriminately at its citizens day after day? Certainly not the United Kingdom for one. The authorities in Gaza must be held to account - but what is Israel to do? Those in charge of Gaza are pledged to Israel’s destruction and actively encourage the firing of rockets and cry foul when Israel retaliates against those who do the firing. Israel supplies essential commodities to the Gazans including water and electricity, maybe a few days without electricity might affect attitudes. However, I doubt that because recently the Hamas even turned back fruit supplied by Israel in order to “punish” Israeli farmers! Short of a re-taking of the Gaza strip by Israel, with all its dangers to innocent life is there an answer?

• Danny Richards, London, England

Here’s the source:

Ahhh, what the hell they are only Jews, right?

[quote]pat36 wrote:

[/quote]

I said it many times and will say it again. This conflict has no solution and will continue until the end of times. Israel will never agree to the international consensus, and Palestinians will never agree to the status quo.

On a side note, Sederot’s population is mostly Moroccan. The parents of my cousin’s wife live there, and all the accounts I heard from them describe it as an inferno.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Ahhh, what the hell they are only Jews, right?[/quote]

“It would be my greatest sadness to see Zionists do to Palestinian Arabs much of what Nazis did to Jews”

• Albert Einstein

West Bank Wall shocks German bishops - compares West Bank conditions with the Warsaw ghetto
…when the group crossed the separation fence, Cardinal Joachim Meisner told reporters that “something like this is done to animals, not to human beings.”

Meisner, the Archbishop of Cologne, is from the former East Germany. “I never in my life thought to see something like this again,” he said.
http://www.cathnews.com/news/703/43.php

Israel army forces violin recital
A Palestinian man queuing to pass an Israeli checkpoint was forced by soldiers to perform an impromptu violin recital, a human rights group says.

Palestinian doctors despair at rising toll of children shot dead by Israeli snipers

Israelis Seen Abusing Caged Palestinians (video)

Rabbi calls for extermination of Palestinian males
Extremist rabbi Yousef Falay, who dwells at the Yitzhar settlement on illegally seized Palestinian land in the northern part of the West Bank, wrote an article in a Zionist magazine under the title “Ways of War”, in which he called for the killing of all Palestinian males refusing to flee their country, describing his idea as the practical way to ensure the non-existence of the Palestinian race.
http://www.caabu.org/index.asp?homepage=key_issues&article=anti_arab_racism&detail=rabbi_exterminate_palestinians

UN envoy: Israel turned Gaza into prison
Special UN envoy on human rights in PA says in special report Israel’s actions in territories can be described as ‘ethnic cleansing’
http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/ArticleLayout/CdaArticlePrintPreview/1,2506,L-3308494,00.html

“The methods adopted to get the land of Palestine away from the Arabs in the early days of the Zionist invasion were such as will fill the world with indignation once the world is permitted to know what was done.”

• Henry Ford

Fury as Israeli textbook admits expulsions
ISRAELI right-wingers are furious at the acknowledgement in a new schoolbook that Palestinians were forcibly expelled when Israel was established in 1948.

Israel Survey Results Shock
Nearly 70 percent of respondents to a survey conducted by a leading Christian publication believe in disinvestment from companies whose products are used by the Israeli government in the territories.

Israel’s Flag Is Not Mine
Reader’s Digest, September 1949
"…Whenever I read of Americans singing the Hatikvah, Israel’s national anthem, or see youth groups raising Israel’s flag beside the Stars and Stripes. I am outraged. For Israel’s flag and anthem are symbols of a foreign state;, they are not mine.

The most powerful weapon which Zionism is using on Americans of Jewish faith is its outward cloak of humanitarianism…"
http://www.alfredlilienthal.com/israelsflag.htm

“Just at the present time, when the light which was shed by the fires of war has revealed so many matters formerly hidden in shadow, the awakening of world attention is called “anti-Semitism,” and the explanation is given that “after every war the Jew becomes the scapegoat” - a curious admission which would lead a less self-centered people to inquire, Why?”

• Henry Ford