Rock/Wall Climbing

[quote]BrentGoose wrote:
Had my first go at climbing on an indoor wall last week, and went again last night. All I can say is it’s absolutely great for conditioning, and a nice bit of exercise variety. Today I can feel my shoulders, lats and arms, so am definitely hitting the right areas.

And for anyone who likes to harp on about ‘functional strength’, I’m a bit of a joke at the wall because as a climbing noob with little technique I tend to haul myself around with my arms a lot.

A lot of my friends are amazed at how well gym strength translates into climbing strength. I think I’ve managed to sway the opinions of some friends who before could never understand why I “spend so much time in the gym JUST lifting weights”.

When my finger strength goes on some of the harder routes, I like to try and zip up and down the easier routes with the big holds as fast as I can 2 or 3 times in a row. Great for conditioning. Sweating like mad by the end, and can really feel my entire upper body. Great stuff.

Anyone other T-nations into climbing? Maybe even some awesome outdoor stuff?

Cheers

Xav[/quote]

Yeah, I love it, it’s fantastic. Do make sure you’re not keeping your arms bent all the time, but really try to hang with just enough grip to keep from falling. keep the arms straight if you can so your biceps and back don’t go crazy. And work on footwork. It’s a hell of a lot easier if you can push off your feet to get a hand hold than just power up. Also, it makes it easier to balance if you use your feet more.

[quote]poophead wrote:

Polo, you ever do any climbing @ the Shawangunks in New Paltz, NY ? I do alot of hiking all around the mountain range/ cliffs there. I’ve thought about trying it but I don’t know…
[/quote]

'Gunks = Awesomeness. That is all.

I’ll tell you what though, I really wish I had the means to do deep water soloing like my boy Sharma. That looks so incredibly damn fun.

Love rockclimbing. have never got to go outdoors because everything around my area is shale rock. I love how your fingers feel like they’re getting ripped apart even after your done climbing. It’s an awesome upper back workout to. Since I have zero technique. Also belay jokes never get old :wink:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I’ll tell you what though, I really wish I had the means to do deep water soloing like my boy Sharma. That looks so incredibly damn fun.[/quote]

Man, that’s awesome.

Hey Aragorn I remember you telling me about Shelf Road in CO and Horseshoe Canyon in Arkansas, I still want to go to both of those places. I’ll hit you up if I need a climbing partner!

I tried a 30 - 40ft wall for the first time at a Y camp with the family labor day weekend. My wife was impressed I did it so quickly. Again, strength in the gym does translate to reality. I’ll admit there is technique and grip strength involved that I am lacking in. Not to mention I think I’m too chicken to ever climb a real rock.

I also didn’t know some of those little rocks can spin on you. I did it barefoot to get a better grip with my toes (sandals I had sucked) and one of the rocks just spun around when I put my weight on that foot. Surprised the heck out of me.