Rock Songs for a Beginner Drummer

So I used to play drums now and again a few years back, and haven’t played since then. Well my brother has a band and one of the members is storing his drums in our basement so now I can play whenever the fuck I want. Anybody have any general rock songs that are basic and good for beginners to ease into for playing drums? And no I’m not paying for lessons.

Please don’t recommend death metal songs, lol. Reference for thread entertainment: Flo Mounier rehearsing Cold Hate, Warm Blood - YouTube

Edit: I have a snare, bass drum, mounted tom, floor tom, and a ride. Soon I’ll have a hi-hat and a crash once I get that shit back from my friend.

Just get the basics down first. There’s practically an unlimited amount of video tutorials online for every type of genre of music you could think of.

Anything by ACDC is great beginner rock drumming.

What kind of music are you into?

The first song that I perfected when I started playing was "Smoke on the Water’ from Deep Purple.

It has a nice buildup at the beginning.

Rock Band

[quote]ckallander wrote:
Just get the basics down first. There’s practically an unlimited amount of video tutorials online for every type of genre of music you could think of.

Anything by ACDC is great beginner rock drumming.

What kind of music are you into?[/quote]
Bunch of stuff. Namely hard rock, different sub-genres of metal, psychobilly/rockabilly, punk, surf, blues. I’m going with the steady beat/slower stuff right now. Good call on the ACDC btw.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
Rock Band[/quote]
Shit that is a really good recommendation… can’t believe I forgot about that. Time to find 200 bucks.

I started fucking around on my roommate’s drums recently. “Only” by NIN is really easy to play. Just hit the bass then the snare, back and forth. You’ll hit the high-hat between each beat on the snare and the bass. On the fourth count or measure or whatever its called, hit the snare with 2 1/16th notes, open the high-hat, hit it close it and start the beat over again. There’s more to it than that, but this is a good starting off point. Here’s some others that are easy to learn.

When the Levee Breaks-Led Zeppelin This beat needs no introduction.
The Ocean-Led Zeppelin
She Drives Me Crazy-Fine Young Cannibals
Discipline-NIN very similar to Only, but a little harder to play
Victim of Love-The Eagles this is probably the easiest one to play, plus there’s a lot of places where it’s really easy to throw in some drum fills
Kashmir-Led Zeppelin very easy to play until they kinda break it down about three minutes in. If you can’t roll your foot on the bass pedal to get that signature Bonham sound, just hit the bass once or twice wherever he rolls the bass.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
Rock Band[/quote]

Christ, anything but that to teach drums…I’m a professional touring drummer, and if you want to learn drums, play to your favorite cds, not to your favorite cds, playing rockband.

www.freedrumlessons.com …i believe thats the website, they have some good tutorials. Otherwise, I learned from watching other people play. Now in the days of youtube, find a band you like and search for their drummer and watch what he/she does. Go to shows, get motivated and enjoy yourself! Real men play real drums, not rockband :wink:

MS

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
Rock Band[/quote]
Shit that is a really good recommendation… can’t believe I forgot about that. Time to find 200 bucks.[/quote]

just shack up in the barracks for a while I’m sure theres a dozen in there.

Rock Band is to playing the drums as Crossfit is to building muscle.

Summer of 69 has a pretty easy beat.

The White Stripes.

Shitty drummer. Easy.
“Tap, Boom, Tap, Boom, Tap, Boom…”

Anything by Neil Peart…In fact if you can play Tom Sawyer you have graduated. I would also reccomend anything by John Bonham and Led Zeppelin…If you can play Moby Dick…then your the man!

Hey don’t knock Rock Band for difficulty! Rush themselves suck at it, lol.

Me and Julio down by the school yard

I love playing along to Rage Against The Machine. No double bass to worry about.

Another band was Helmet, great drummer. It’s strange though, I can never find any tabs for them…every band out there but them.

Single or double pedal on the bass drum? I’ll second playing to Led Zeppelin. But like Chip said, you should play along to your favourite songs. Always try and play stuff that’s slightly beyond you, but not so difficult you get lost completely. Have some kind of progession, so you’re moving on to more difficult material each time you master a new song.

Kravitz: “Are you gonna go my way”
Queen: “Another one bites the dust”
Steely Dan: “Black Cow” (not rock, I know, but has some cool high-hat and cymbal action)

Try lots of stuff by The Beatles, it’s usually pretty simple stuff that can be some fun to play along too. Some Metallica tunes are also fun and simple to play along with. Just browse your music library and find stuff you think you can play. Just have fun with it and don’t beat yourself up too much over it.