Rock Operas

So recently I have started getting into to rock operas like genius-a rock opera, avantasia, protomen and the such. So I am looking for more rock opera/concept albums, any recommendations?
A few examples

Try Star One. Concept album with several awesome vocalists. There is a live version of it and its just fantastic.

And you could try Ayreon. Same guy but different musicians and lyrical themes.

Here’s an idea, but it isn’t exactly “rock opera”. Almost any King Diamond will do. Try “Them” or “Conspiracy”. It’s like horror/metal/opera.

How could i forget the mother of all rock operas! Queensrÿche - Operation:Mindcrime. Absoultely fantastic band and album. You can even find DVDs from several live shows where they put the entire album up as an actual opera

Not quite what you’re looking for but Iced Earth has some great albums

What was that album metallica did with the opera group?

[quote]Defiance wrote:
How could i forget the mother of all rock operas! Queensr�¿che - Operation:Mindcrime. Absoultely fantastic band and album. You can even find DVDs from several live shows where they put the entire album up as an actual opera

[/quote]

Op is probably looking for newer stuff but “the mother of all rock operas” is usually considered to be Tommy by the Who, 1969.

I almost never post over here with all you boys, but this thread caught my eye…check out Aina - Days of Rising Doom. Also Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands and Kamelot - The Black Halo (and their other albums).

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Defiance wrote:
How could i forget the mother of all rock operas! Queensr�?�¿che - Operation:Mindcrime. Absoultely fantastic band and album. You can even find DVDs from several live shows where they put the entire album up as an actual opera

Op is probably looking for newer stuff but “the mother of all rock operas” is usually considered to be Tommy by the Who, 1969. [/quote]

Or, Pink Floyd’s The Wall another classic. ‘Mother are they going to break my balls’

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
hel320 wrote:
Defiance wrote:
How could i forget the mother of all rock operas! Queensr�??�?�¿che - Operation:Mindcrime. Absoultely fantastic band and album. You can even find DVDs from several live shows where they put the entire album up as an actual opera

Op is probably looking for newer stuff but “the mother of all rock operas” is usually considered to be Tommy by the Who, 1969.

Or, Pink Floyd’s The Wall another classic. ‘Mother are they going to break my balls’

D[/quote]

Love all three of these albums. Saw Queensryche perform this live in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Phenominal concert. Sadly, the rest of their work is not up to this level. Bought it for “Eyes of a Stranger” - there are about four songs on that album better than that one. Find it at a used record shop and give it a listen.

Tommy and The Wall are fuckin incredible too. Floyd’s lyrics are second to none and that band is as tight as the skin on a squirrel. “Got a little black book with my poems in…”

I have most of these bands downloading as we speak. The who I keep hearing about that album while not my cup of tea I am curious. Star one is an amazing album and I wish that they would make another one ayreon does make some great music. Thanks alot! Keep um coming!

I’ll Second the Iced Earth suggestion. Download “The Phantom Opera Ghost” by them. It’s fairly melodic, if that’s what you’re looking for. Here’s a Youtube link: Iced Earth-The Phantom Opera Ghost - YouTube There’s a part sort of toward the end of the song where only an acoustic guitar is used and everything else goes quiet. It gives me chills every time. Also, I haven’t listened to them much, but Nightwish also has some nice stuff, if I recall.

[quote]AllerCuzine wrote:
I have most of these bands downloading as we speak. The who I keep hearing about that album while not my cup of tea I am curious. Star one is an amazing album and I wish that they would make another one ayreon does make some great music. Thanks alot! Keep um coming![/quote]

Try The Who’s Quadrophenia, much better than Tommy IMO.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
AllerCuzine wrote:
I have most of these bands downloading as we speak. The who I keep hearing about that album while not my cup of tea I am curious. Star one is an amazing album and I wish that they would make another one ayreon does make some great music. Thanks alot! Keep um coming!

Try The Who’s Quadrophenia, much better than Tommy IMO.[/quote]

Agreed. Did not recommend it, as I am not sure that Quadrophenia qualifies as a “rock opera”.

Man that king diamond has a high pitch voice!!! Great music though but i don’t think I can listen to him for very long. Great lyrics and story. Iced earth is great I like their music. Y’all should check out symphony x v the new mythology. Also for willie nelsons red headed stranger for a country opera.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
Testy1 wrote:
AllerCuzine wrote:

Try The Who’s Quadrophenia, much better than Tommy IMO.

Agreed. Did not recommend it, as I am not sure that Quadrophenia qualifies as a “rock opera”. [/quote]

From Wiki

“In April 1969 Pete Townshend and The Who released Tommy, the first of The Who’s two full-scale rock operas (the other is Quadrophenia), and the first musical work explicitly billed as a rock opera. [In some older publications it is called Tommy (1914â??1984).] The album was largely composed by Townshend, with two tracks contributed by bassist John Entwistle and one attributed to drummer Keith Moon, although actually written by Townshend.[3] An earlier song by blues artist Sonny Boy Williamson II, “Eyesight to the Blind”, was also incorporated. Tommy remains one of the most famous rock operas, with concert, film, ballet, and theatrical productions mounted over the course of four decades. The Who would later release another rock opera, Quadrophenia (1973), also made into a film, and a mini rock-opera, Wire & Glass (2006), from Townshend’s larger concept of The Boy Who Heard Music, and included on The Who’s 2006 album Endless Wire.”

Man I just listen to quadrophenia and it fan fucking tastic thanks for the recomendation.