Rock-N-Roll Rant

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Nirvana is easily one(if not the)most overrated band of all time that has been immortalised by the suicide of the guy who created it. Don’t mistake lack of talent for genius. Kurt Cobain is the Bill Phillips of the fitness industry, he his praised by those who don’t know any better.
[/quote]

Are you out of your mind? Nobody pulls off 3 chord riffs like Kurt did. Could you have written anything as remotely good as one tune off of “Bleach”? Go home and listen to “Love Buzz” off that same album and then correct yourself.

Top Album Picks for 2006 in no particular order.

Heartless Bastards – “All this time”
TV on the Radio – “Return to Cookie Mountain”
The Flaming Lips – “At War with the Mystics”
M Ward – “Post War”
Decemberists – “The Crane Wife”
Muse – “Black Holes & Revelations”
The Black Keys – “Magic Potion”
Junior Boys – “So this is Goodbye”
Snowden – “Anti Anti”
Van Hunt – “On the Jungle Floor”

*Honorable mention:
Eagles of Death Metal – “Death by Sexy”

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Awesome. Soccer moms are now the age to have cut their teeth to the Ramones, as I have in my early teens–but blame “Hot Topic” for that.

There is nothing wrong with trying to make a living. As I stated earlier, they were the first to achieve celebrity in that way…btw, not a big fan of their earlier work before “Revolver”.

Have you read Cobains’ suicide note? But all that probably doesn’t fit in with your wannabe-hipster-psychosis though.

Huh? What is your point.

The day you stop trying to be so cool, is the day you can begin to enjoy music again. Good luck with that.

I enjoy music immensely as it is. This was just a list of artists who in my own opinion should have called it quits earlier. Rock on.[/quote]

Show me where I stated soccer mom’s “can’t” wear Ramones t-shirts. The fact that you thought this shows me how you failed to comprehend my post. The sooner you realize that my point was not about whom “can” wear a certain bands t-shirts, the sooner you will begin to understand me.

Show me where I stated that making a living is “evil.” I am not so much against greed as I am against masked greed. I mean if you want to become “super rich” don’t tell people your saving the world at the same time, if you know full well you are not, especially since being honest would cut into the bottom line. Lennon was very televangelist if you ask me. You really don’t think fucking with millions of peoples heads is justifiable if you make a $ off of it?
After all we all need a living.

Since you had to ask what the point in reading Cobains’ suicide note is you will probably never know what I meant to learn from that.

Your “hypocrite” defence is impotent unless you say more than “you are a what you hate, loser.” I mean what the fuck is that? At least take a serious shot at me if your going that route.

You sure had me fooled that you enjoy music.

Oh yeah and if you are so full of shit and KNOW it, why bother us?

Are you out of your mind? Nobody pulls off 3 chord riffs like Kurt did. Could you have written anything as remotely good as one tune off of “Bleach”? Go home and listen to “Love Buzz” off that same album and then correct yourself.[/quote]

Go to the record store and buy At Home by Shocking Blue and then correct yourself. Seeing as it was they who originally wrote ‘Love Buzz’.

[quote]LAMF wrote:
Show me where I stated soccer mom’s “can’t” wear Ramones t-shirts. The fact that you thought this shows me how you failed to comprehend my post.
[/quote]
you wrote:

First off the Ramones will always be cool. I don’t claim to be with “it” either. I claim to have a very strong opinion which you also seem to have. You imply the Ramones are not cool because soccer moms wear their T-shirts. You are extremely naive.

Cheers, mate.

You are preaching to the choir. That wasn’t the point of this thread. Lennon is Lennon and his personality has little to do with his genius as a songwriter.

Make your point instead of writing incoherent, cryptic posts that are meaningless.

If I haven’t read the note how can I know what the hell you are talking about? That has to be the lamest way to make a point. At least do some work and post a reference link to it, maybe an explanation of what you mean…?

You are not a hypocrite, just intellectually lazy.

You haven’t said one thing about music but seem to have many criticisms of what other people think about music–that to me is a sign of someone without an original opinion. If you’ve got one, state it and back it up with a coherent paragraph instead of some ramblings about the evils of greed.

Again, you offer an opinion but no explanation. Did you learn nothing in your composition classes? I will chalk this up to you not being intelligent enough to make a point.

Because I can. Being “full of shit” is code for “please don’t take me seriously”. Really, I just wanted to blow some hot air about something I am interested in and something that I know other people feel passionately about. If it bothers you so much why take the time to respond to it?

I enjoy open discussions where people can express their opinions without being criticized–you know, being critical of their opinion without being pejorative.

You exhibit the conversation habits of a first class douchebag. Join the club.

[quote]jarvis wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Are you out of your mind? Nobody pulls off 3 chord riffs like Kurt did. Could you have written anything as remotely good as one tune off of “Bleach”? Go home and listen to “Love Buzz” off that same album and then correct yourself.

Go to the record store and buy At Home by Shocking Blue and then correct yourself. Seeing as it was they who originally wrote ‘Love Buzz’.
[/quote]

Touche!

This is where I redeem myself and…oh forget it. I supplicate myself to your rock trivia knowledge. This will teach me to read liner notes. Still, Bleach rocked.

I am going to look for this album that you speak of.

analog_kid wrote:

Nirvana is easily one(if not the)most overrated band of all time that has been immortalised by the suicide of the guy who created it. Don’t mistake lack of talent for genius. Kurt Cobain is the Bill Phillips of the fitness industry, he his praised by those who don’t know any better.

Are you out of your mind? Nobody pulls off 3 chord riffs like Kurt did. Could you have written anything as remotely good as one tune off of “Bleach”? Go home and listen to “Love Buzz” off that same album and then correct yourself.[/quote]

they are overated because cobain blew himself up. yes he was off to a good start and penned a few tunes that rocked and will live on for along time. but that’s it. we’ll never know if nirvana was any better than that. to my mind there’s maybe 3 nirvana tunes that people still recognize today, and that’s being generous.

3 tunes is great, it’s alot more than most bands ever see, but it still isn’t even on the same level as something like the steve miller band, which i don’t think anyone would consider one of the greats. nirvana didn’t even go as far as their peers like pearl jam or stp. that’s why they’re overated.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Nirvana is easily one(if not the)most overrated band of all time that has been immortalised by the suicide of the guy who created it. Don’t mistake lack of talent for genius. Kurt Cobain is the Bill Phillips of the fitness industry, he his praised by those who don’t know any better.[/quote]

I’m not mistaking lack of talent for genius. As my post that you quoted says, I think he is an extremely talented songwriter. If you read my post you’ll notice that I don’t use the term “genius.” I think that word is one of the most overused words in the english language.

I do, however, think that he made a valuable contribution to the music world, and more importantly (to me) is that I love 90% of the songs he wrote. I am probably the biggest Nirvana fan you will ever meet.

I actually got married in a Nirvana t-shirt.

Other great bands that have been immortalized by a death of a member still in their prime (or at least close to it):
Jimi Hendrix
The Doors
Janis Joplin