T Nation

Rock Climbing

Was just checking my Yahoo mail account and caught a glimpse at one of the adverts on the page. It was a picture of some mountain climber with the solidest-motherfucking-torso you’ve ever seen!

He was huge but looked lean, sleek and well proportioned at the same time. And you just know its all functional! Right, that’s it, I’m going all out on the pull ups tonight!

See ya.

I have been rock climbing for about 3 years now, and I highly recomend it to almost anyone (although it will be very difficult for some of you 250+ers out there). Not only is it a whole lot of fun and very challenging, but it really works just about every upper body muscle you have, and your calves, if you do specific workouts on routes at a rock climbing gym (like reps of dyno’s) you can work your quads, glutes and hamstrings as well. Long story short, you can work just about every muscle in your body by climbing, if you do the right moves. Keep in mind though, when you first start, it will humble the shit out of you.

I love me some rope climbing. Was also recently considering taking up rock climbing…but my 225 bodyweight needs to go to about 205 prior.

I’ve got to agree with APDuncan27, rock climbing rules. I’ve been climbing for around 3 years now and after the first 4 weeks my functional strength flew up. Some of the top guys are amazingly strong. I’ve seen a video clip where Alain Robert does a one-arm chin-up off his middle finger and a hell of a lot of them can do over 10 one-arm chins.

Check out http://www.benmoon.co.uk/html/features.html
This is Ben Moon, one of the top climbers in the UK making this flat piece of rock look like a ladder.

Been hitting the rocks since 1999 adn not only has it helped battle my acrophobia but it has helped strengthen my shoulders, develope my grip strength and widened my lats.

S

How du you incorporate the rockclimbing
into your split?

I’ve been lifting for 8 years and climbing for 2. I went from being obsessed with strength training to almost all dynamic motions in my lifts. Some of my favorite work for climbing is wide out pull ups and banded box squat (great for dyno work). Any other lady climbers in the T-Nation world?

I can’t believe no one has mentioned forearms and grip strength yet. Rock climbing rules! Though I must admit, it’s harder hovering around 190 than it was at 170. All the more motivation to shed some fat :slight_smile:

8 years climmbing in Germany!

But Nonspecific weigth training and Rock climmbing is not a useful combination!

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
I can’t believe no one has mentioned forearms and grip strength yet. Rock climbing rules! Though I must admit, it’s harder hovering around 190 than it was at 170. All the more motivation to shed some fat :)[/quote]

I completely agree, climbing is one of the best motivations for dropping as much extra weight as possible. It just makes every route that much easier:)

[quote]Mr.Rock wrote:
8 years climmbing in Germany!

But Nonspecific weigth training and Rock climmbing is not a useful combination! [/quote]

I agree completely. It’s too bad that I really enjoy squatting and deadlifting :slight_smile: