Rock Climbing - No Iron

This summer I am going to be rock climbing for 2 to 2.5 months. I will not be able to lift weights at all during this time. I was wondering what the best thing to do to try to somewhat keep my physique/strength, if anything at all. I was thinking a ton of pushups/vertical push ups and running many miles.

Also, at the place i know there is a pull up bar. I know i will use lots of upper body while actually climbing.

Another thing, how much will I have lost when i hit it back again at the gym in 2 months? thx

[quote]dusty blues wrote:
This summer I am going to be rock climbing for 2 to 2.5 months. I will not be able to lift weights at all during this time. I was wondering what the best thing to do to try to somewhat keep my physique/strength, if anything at all. I was thinking a ton of pushups/vertical push ups and running many miles.

Also, at the place i know there is a pull up bar. I know i will use lots of upper body while actually climbing.

Another thing, how much will I have lost when i hit it back again at the gym in 2 months? thx [/quote]

Carbolin 19 could probably help out. It’s purpose is to keep gains. Maybe Methoxy-7??? Other than that, just intake alot of protein so your muscles don’t starve. Good luck.

I would seriously take along some hand grippers (Ironmind’s Captain’s of Crush, Beef Builder, etc) that you can handle, and one that is just beyond your ability to close it.

You can take them almost anywhere, and as long as you don’t overtrain, they will help you alot.

I would also do fingertip pushups with feet elevated as far as you can.

For what it’s worth…

And don’t forget to hang on really tight up there!

Honestly, I don’t think that he’s going to need any supplemental grip work. If I spend just a few hours climbing, my grip will be shot for a day or two.

Ditto on the last post about grip.
If there are any big heavy rocks or logs laying around, you could always just use them. Sandbags and atlas stones have become realy popular. It would be strongman training without all of the custom gear. Call it Caveman training and go nuts.

Sprints will preserve muscle better than long, slow runs. Also, check out one-arm push-ups, pistols (one-leg squats), and lever and planche progressions. If you still have time, buy some of Tyler Hass’s power rings or make some of your own; that way you can do pull-ups, dips, more ab works than you’ll ever want to, and gymnastic routines, wherever you can find a tree to hang them up on.

I third the No need for grip training. That is the main training he will be getting All the time.

If nothing else try anmd do things that dont require grip from time to time.

Push ups, etc… Like was stated go pick up big rocks, etc.

Have fun during this also,

Phill

I don’t think it’s the matter that he CAN’T workout, I think he doesn’t want to. If he over taxes his body in a workout, it may have consiquences during his climb.

[quote]Nick H wrote:
Honestly, I don’t think that he’s going to need any supplemental grip work. If I spend just a few hours climbing, my grip will be shot for a day or two.[/quote]

Absolutely. Do too much auxillary grip work, and you’re not gonna be able to climb. I would follow the other suggestions here. Plenty of protein, use the things you mentioned that you have available. Perhaps Carbolin 19 or Methoxy-7. I would go easy on the running. You can run, but don’t overdo it. Too much cardio without proper training is likely to be muscle wasting.