Rock and Roll USA

[quote]jarvis wrote:

I’m taking on Hellfest in France this Summer and the line-up is un-fucking believable:

Slayer…

[/quote]

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Dustin

record companies completely fucked themselves and the fans by being waaay too greedy. by always looking for that big score and not keeping a portfolio of solid performing bands in the stable. by refusing to invest in their bands and allow them time to develop and make their own decisions.

by charging obscene amounts for cd’s and making the sound quality worse and worse every year. by not managing their products and diluting their value by dumping them into huge retailers like best buy and wal-mart. by actually suing their customers because their business is in the shitter.

by obliterated record stores and the scene that came with them. stores used to have and ambience and a feel to them. there was a reverence and an atmosphere. something in the air. people respected music alot more than they do now. music used to drive the culture. you could be in tune with half the world if you were in tune with what’s happening in music.

no more is everyone connected through music like that. it’s all compartmentalized. balkanized. babel. that’s a huge cultural loss to my mind. the great gift of music is now treated with no more respect than is given to coca-cola.

go to a show nowadays and you’re lucky to see even half the crowd actually given energy back to the band. most people act as though they’re in their living rooms, checking their cell phones etc. who the fuck brings a fucking phone to a show ? FUCK YOU !

people think nothing of stealing music now. but with record companies treating their own product like shit, why should anyone else do any different ? music has been allowed to become so cheap and ubiquitous people equate “stealing” mp3’s with “stealing” a bic pen. i cannot remember the last time i actually bought a pen. now they want us to pay $1.29 PER song ? would you pay $1.29 for a fucking bic pen when you can just nab one off that guy’s desk ? no fucking way ?!!

steve jobs was holding out and for years keeping i-tunes prices @ .99 cents. he was fighting them off . he was fighting for the fans. he generated alot of good will and sold a SHITLOAD of product because people perceived him as the good guy. this good will meant people STILL felt good about paying twice as much for his products. they worked well and they LIKED steve.
now, like the record companies, he’s cashing out and leaving us in the cultural void. fucker.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Dustin

[/quote]

that’s a killer performance for a tv show !

here’s a memorable tv spot with rollins band. check out insane sim cain on drums ! chris haskett’s guitar rules , melvin tying it all down and of course henry with his usual wwf-vibe !

[quote]swivel wrote:
record companies completely fucked themselves and the fans by being waaay too greedy. by always looking for that big score and not keeping a portfolio of solid performing bands in the stable. by refusing to invest in their bands and allow them time to develop and make their own decisions.

by charging obscene amounts for cd’s and making the sound quality worse and worse every year. by not managing their products and diluting their value by dumping them into huge retailers like best buy and wal-mart. by actually suing their customers because their business is in the shitter.

by obliterated record stores and the scene that came with them. stores used to have and ambience and a feel to them. there was a reverence and an atmosphere. something in the air. people respected music alot more than they do now. music used to drive the culture. you could be in tune with half the world if you were in tune with what’s happening in music.

no more is everyone connected through music like that. it’s all compartmentalized. balkanized. babel. that’s a huge cultural loss to my mind. the great gift of music is now treated with no more respect than is given to coca-cola.

go to a show nowadays and you’re lucky to see even half the crowd actually given energy back to the band. most people act as though they’re in their living rooms, checking their cell phones etc. who the fuck brings a fucking phone to a show ? FUCK YOU !

people think nothing of stealing music now. but with record companies treating their own product like shit, why should anyone else do any different ? music has been allowed to become so cheap and ubiquitous people equate “stealing” mp3’s with “stealing” a bic pen. i cannot remember the last time i actually bought a pen. now they want us to pay $1.29 PER song ? would you pay $1.29 for a fucking bic pen when you can just nab one off that guy’s desk ? no fucking way ?!!

steve jobs was holding out and for years keeping i-tunes prices @ .99 cents. he was fighting them off . he was fighting for the fans. he generated alot of good will and sold a SHITLOAD of product because people perceived him as the good guy. this good will meant people STILL felt good about paying twice as much for his products. they worked well and they LIKED steve.
now, like the record companies, he’s cashing out and leaving us in the cultural void. fucker.

[/quote]

THANK YOU. Preach on brotha’ man.

Oh, but it was my understanding that the reason it’s 1.29/song now is that there’s no DRM crap built into the tracks you get, and it’s a higher bitrate. Still, well said.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Oh, but it was my understanding that the reason it’s 1.29/song now is that there’s no DRM crap built into the tracks you get, and it’s a higher bitrate. Still, well said.[/quote]

yeah that’s what they say but that’s just selling more water by the riverside. .99cents was already too much for something we already have especially since the drm is a major IMPOSITION for a product that we paid for and own. shit if they want drm they should charge us even less for it, but instead now they want to charge even more to remove it ? wtf ?

besides, is an mp3, that sounds progressively worse the better system you play it through, EVER going to be worth more than about 5 cents ? like i said .99 was already way to much and i appreciated the effort of apple to keep it under a buck… but i mean really come on: it sounds like shit ! there’s no physical ownership, and they’ve cut out all of their costs ! they completely pocket physical production, warehousing, distribution, and retail middleman markups !

and the real insult is how is this a deal in a world where we’re already getting mp3’s without drm for free! why should we pay now ??? i was dead serious when i said i haven’t bought a pen in YEARS. the things are like bicycles in china. and if i did have to buy one i damn sure wouldn’t pay $1.29 for ONE. but i would pay a few bucks for FIFTY of them if i had too. why should we pay now when we ARE the market. we have the power. so why ? so we can maintain a sense of morality ?

morality yes. i agree with morality. i’d rather not “steal” but here’s the thing: the market has changed radically since the concept of “buying albums”. as much as the record companies are trying to make it happen, the world is not going back to 1995.

i-pods are now EVERYTHING. and the reason i-pods are so successful is the easy availability of music off the internet. i’m talking about FREE downloads here. “stealing” if you will. when you own a 4gb i-pod, a 2 gb nano and a shuffle i guarantee you are not filling them up with your $18.99 each cd collection that’s for damn sure. @ 1.29 a song that would cost you what…$6000 bucks to fill a 4gb i-pod ? no freaking way is that happening !!!

we USED to live in world where christmas retailers couldn’t keep copies of hit albums on the shelves. now we live in a world where retailers cannot keep i-pod shuffles on the shelves. as much as record companies want to force everyone into the past i’m sorry, the cat is out of the bag man . it just isn’t happening.

i agree with the people who think licensing p2p/subscription model is the way to go. there are already universities negotiating semester fees for file sharing.

i’ve also read that limewire is working on a subscription model for $2 month with the option to add content of major labels for another $2 ea up to $10/month. this to me is a great deal for everyone and it’s only a matter of time before the major labels finally bleed to near death before they get smart and start taking the untapped billions of virtually free dollars that lay before them.

in short it would work for the consumer because it would be cheap enough for kids to fill their i-pods, and it works for the labels because it’s cheap enough for everyone to afford it; when your talking about as many people who subscribe to cell phones, well, that’s a whole lotta everyone.

the part that frosts my ass about apple and steve jobs is simply that he got rich because of the conditions that allowed kids to file share for free. if kids weren’t file sharing then i-pods would be just another expensive accessory for touareg drivers from connecticut, but instead they’re a mandatory piece of teen gear.

and now that the whole frickn world has invested their life-style into his product, now when he should be working to make the content that feeds his product even more accessible to the hundreds of millions of consumers who’ve bought it, now instead what is he doing but trying to pick us up by the heels and shake the change from our pockets.

that’s how i see it anyway.

i really dig this band son volt. they’re not gonna blow the roof off but their songs are really tight with good lyrics. these guys have a real sound. the guy on vocals is killer.

Good stuff man

[quote]Dustin wrote:
Here’s some metal for you…from the masters.

And my favorite performance from this concert in Russia…

The Russian police/security cracking skulls adds a little to the performance as well! :slight_smile:

Dustin[/quote]

killer video from clutch. one of the best bands on the planet.

pure rock fury

Kind of rock and roll and definitely from the USA, Nashville Pussy:

go motherfucker go!

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
Kind of rock and roll and definitely from the USA, Nashville Pussy:

go motherfucker go![/quote]

oh hell yeah.

[quote]swivel wrote:

[/quote]

Clutch rules. They are true musicians, unlike most of the crap on radio and TV. Great music like this has always been around and always will. For people who thinks it’s disappearing, you’re just looking in the wrong places. You won’t find many good musicians on the radio or MTV, that’s all the corporate BS. The great thing about the internet is bands like this can find a larer audience without needing traditional media outlets.

I hope that no one writing into this thread would watch American Idol, but if you do, STOP. You are part of the problem.

Clutch is awesome live, here’s a GREAT live version of “The Regulator”

[quote]Nothingface wrote:
swivel wrote:

Clutch rules. They are true musicians, unlike most of the crap on radio and TV. Great music like this has always been around and always will. For people who thinks it’s disappearing, you’re just looking in the wrong places. You won’t find many good musicians on the radio or MTV, that’s all the corporate BS. The great thing about the internet is bands like this can find a larer audience without needing traditional media outlets.

I hope that no one writing into this thread would watch American Idol, but if you do, STOP. You are part of the problem.

Clutch is awesome live, here’s a GREAT live version of “The Regulator”

[/quote]

Damn I wish i would not have missed their recent show here in Detroit…

One to add…

[quote]trailrash wrote:
One to add…

Hank III - Assjack - Tennessee Driver 10/18/06 3-cam - YouTube [/quote]

Awesome, I haven’t heard them before. Hank Williams III also plays bass for Superjoint Ritual"

Superjoint Ritual - The Alcoholik, Live

trailrash wrote:
One to add…

Awesome, I haven’t heard them before. Hank Williams III also plays bass for Superjoint Ritual"

[/quote]

Yeah SJR is dead for now from what I have heard III say… He also plays the drums with Arson Anthem. Phil plays guitar for them.

trailrash wrote:
One to add…

[/quote]

Gary Lindsey which is the other singer for Assjack is one crazy mother fucker… He is cool as hell too… you should really consider going to one of the Hank III shows if he is ever in your area. Its an experience I’ll tell ya that. The Country set will blow you away, along with the Hellbilly and Assjack sets.

[quote]trailrash wrote:
Nothingface wrote:
trailrash wrote:
One to add…

Gary Lindsey which is the other singer for Assjack is one crazy mother fucker… He is cool as hell too… you should really consider going to one of the Hank III shows if he is ever in your area. Its an experience I’ll tell ya that. The Country set will blow you away, along with the Hellbilly and Assjack sets.

[/quote]

Badass