Rob's Road to Hercules: Contest Prep

LEFT - April 29th, 147.6 lbs -----------------RIGHT - June 7th, 149.2 lbs

Now here’s a good educational opportunity that I definitely needed. The picture on the left is the day before my first show, 5 weeks ago, the picture on the right is today.

So, 5 weeks later, despite minimal movement on the scale and being 2 pounds heavier on the scale, I’m way tighter, harder and better conditioned. I’ve really learned over the past couple weeks that at this stage I have to use the mirror more than anything, the scale is completely secondary. While my instinct tells me I need to lose scale weight, the pics don’t lie and I have to change my mind set. The majority of this progress has been made in the last two weeks after increasing carbs, cals and steady state cardio.

1 Like

6/8 - first thing AM - 2.5 weeks out

Some pics from this morning, really noticed some progress today in both upper body and lower body. Had the typical 45 min cardio this morning on the treadmill, then after work is HIIT, followed by more LISS. I am still pushing as hard as possible, but it has been really motivating and encouraging to finally see progress the past couple weeks. Can’t let up now.

Tonight is my school concert. After that we have another week and a half of school, and then I am proud to say that I will be retiring from the public work force and working full time from home next year writing music. It’s been a long road, I started my business ten years ago in the hopes I would one day be able to do it full time, and it’s finally happened. I’m going to have a lot of work to do to keep it going, but being able to work from home and follow my passion will be well worth the effort.

FOOD for thought: I changed my last meal of the night after discovering I have a problem with wheat. Digestion problems run in my family and as I get older I think some of it is starting to affect me. I didn’t eat any wheat while I was on keto, and after adding it back in, mainly in Ezekiel bread and cereal, it’s no bueno. So, now I just avoid wheat and my stomach has thanked me for it. ANYWAY, try this:

1 Cup Cottage Cheese, OR, 1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese mixed with 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Scoop Metabolic Drive Protein
1 TBSP (or more if you can) peanut butter or almond butter
Splash of milk

Mix it all together and put it in the freezer for 2-3 hours, and it makes a really delicious ice-cream consistency meal.

3 Likes

Hey, congrats on being able to do what you love.I’m sure you have thought long and hard about this, but as an older father with a mortgage, and probably a lacking chutzpah, I couldn’t begin consider quitting my teaching gig. I’m sure this is the right thing for you, congrats!

BTW, looking good!

Very noticeable changes the last couple of weeks. Like I said, at a certain point, scale weight be damned, your body composition can appear to change from day to day.

Pretty damn cool huh? -lol

Keep driving brother, eyes on the prize!

S

2 Likes

@The_Myth, thanks a lot man! You’re right, it’s been a long road and a lot of planning involved in making this decision. Over the past few years my writing has done well and I wanted to give it a few years of consistent income to make sure I’d feel comfortable putting teaching on hold. We do own a home here, but no kids yet, so I figure a good couple years of just writing should really solidify it for the long term. I’ll miss teaching the kiddos, but am really looking forward to wearing gym clothes around the house all day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yessir! Definitely messes with your head on the first prep, realizing at this point the mirror is king. My weight hasn’t changed from the past 6 weeks but obviously huge compositional changes. Knowing I’ll definitely make bantam weights also takes the pressure off of relying on the scale.

Did an hour on the treadmill this morning, I usually stick to 45 min in the AM but this morning felt good enough to give the extra 15. At this stage of the game, the body sends pretty loud signals as to what it can handle. I have to be careful now heading into these last couple of weeks, knowing I’m trying to keep cortisol at bay and my metabolism humming along best I can, distinguishing the difference between typical prep suffering and something I should push through, versus working around the issue. I’m feeling good about my current condition, and knowing that my body has responded so well so the additional cals and carbs, I don’t want to dip too ridiculously low calorically or drive myself TOO far into the ground with cardio (as if 75 min a day isn’t enough already).

Did the hour this morning, chest and back this afternoon then another 30 min on the elliptical. Although conditioning and mirror is top priority, my weight has FINALLY dipped below my low of 147.6 that I maintained for the past 3.5 weeks, 147 this morning. As I’ve been teetering between 149-150 for a few weeks, if anything it just adds extra peace of mind knowing I’ll have no problem making bantamweight.

Tomorrow is a low day, double steady state. LISS in the morning and again in the afternoon, extra long dog walks, maybe walk around the mall for a while, anything that’s low intensity that’ll just slowly burn some more calories. Re-feed Saturday, then Sunday is going to be the last HIIT workout, Tuesday will be the last leg day so they can start healing up and get as defined as possible. Been doing lots of foam rolling and am getting another massage soon, focusing mostly on quads. Painful, but worth it!

Looking ahead to the show in 2 weeks, it seems like each year is a coin toss in terms of bantam weight competitors. While it’s a Super Pro-Q, to get a pro card for winning your weight class there needs to be at least 5 competitors in the class. 2 years ago there were enough, last year there were 2 people. So, I’m really hoping there are enough bantams there for a pro card. All I can do is bring my best, but at this point I’m feeling like I’ll have a shot for placing if the stars align. Either way, I’m getting more and more excited for the show and the package I’ll bring.

the cool thing about threads like this is you get to see just how much work goes into dieting down and maintaining condition like this.

I think we all started lifting because we saw jacked and shredded dudes on magazine covers or whatever and thought “I want to look like that.”

Well this is what it takes!

This the kind of suffering you have to go through

@Yogi1, you sure hit the nail on the head man! For me, honestly my inspiration came from T-Nation and these forums. I went from a pull up bar and adjustable dumbbells in my room to where I am now as a result of reading the articles on T-Nation and competitor prep logs. Seeing a lot of competitors on here was so motivating, and over time I got to the point where I thought, “man, I think I could do that, I WANT to do that! I’m gonna do that!”

Spot on about the suffering aspect too. Even though you know it’s gonna take a lot of work, even reading about what other people go through, once you go through it yourself, it’s a whole new world. I gotta say I read your comment again on the treadmill at 6am this morning, “THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES!” to help get me through the end of my session, and it gave me a nice boost. 2 weeks to go, time to sprint to the finish! Thanks for the support brother!

1 Like

well I’m glad I could inspire you to get your fat ass off the couch! Haha.

Is this the last show then? Does life go back to normal afterwards? Your mrs must be about ready to murder you with all this contest dieting she’s had to be a part of.

Yeah, this is the last show for 2016. Since I’ve been prepping/dieting since January, and balancing it with teaching and my business, it’s definitely time to pull back a bit. I’ll still be training hard over the summer and will definitely be competing again next year. I’ve learned so much and am looking forward to the off season to get some serious work done and come back better next year.

The timing of this show works out nicely, school ends in a week, then a week later is the show, then it’s summer time. Typically every summer I travel around the country, spending much of my time in California, doing band camps with the bands that perform my music. This is the first summer in 15 years I will NOT be doing that. My wife is a teacher also, so we’ll have the entire summer together, a few great vacations and celebrating a great year and my “retirement.”

The prep does take a toll on everyone involved, she is certainly ready for me to be done for now! Fortunately my wife is extremely supportive of the bodybuilding thing, she’s taken over so many responsibilities so I can focus on work and training, helps with food prep, encourages me and keeps me going. I’m a lucky guy. It’s been especially hard this year balancing prep with teaching and my business, we both agree it’ll be a lot easier next year when I’m working from home with one full time job instead of two :slight_smile:

2 weeks out, really getting down to the wire now. Refeed day was good yesterday, protein pancakes for breakfast is always a highlight of the day. AM cardio, hamstrings and shoulders in the afternoon then more LISS. Low day HIIT today, last HIIT workout. Then from here on out all low days will be LISS days.

I’m definitely feeling good about my progress the last two weeks, but still feel like I’m behind with my legs. This morning I did see new definition in upper quads and even in my glutes. I know they’ll look better after we halt leg training and HIIT, and they can relax a bit, and of course the tan will make a difference. But, this is the last week we have to really dig in, peak week we want to be sure I’m not stressing out my body more than necessary. On my low days this week I’ll be eating my usual P+F breakfast, then replacing my day time meals with MAG-10, but will still be eating my usual pre workout, dinner and pre-bed meals. Adding more cardio isn’t an option, so I think this will be a good way to add more of a slight deficit and utilize Mag-10 to chip away at the last bit of fat I can in a non stressful way. At this point doing only Mag-10 all day I think would be digging too deep of a hole, but I’m confident supplementing some day time meals with it will prove helpful, and also keep my body ready to utilize the carbs when I have them.

11 days out - 147.6 lbs - First thing AM

My physique this week is following a similar pattern to last week, so I think we’ve really found the right formula. Last week I had my re-feed on Saturday, and by Tuesday I was looking tight and hard, Wednesday was even better. Same thing happened this week, today I woke up very tight, cuts in my legs are deeper and even noticed some light lines in my glutes. Today is my last leg workout so a good amount of carbs today, so I’m expecting tomorrow to be even tighter.

This week I’ve been going on long, slow paced walks with my wife after dinner, about 40-45 minutes. Just another way to get a good calorie burn and create a deeper deficit in a non-stressful way. Pushing myself as hard as possible, and being very aware of my stress levels. Yesterday, low day, was a tough day. 2nd low day in a row, low cals, combined with really bad sleep the night before, I was only able to sleep for a couple hours. So, yesterday I dialed down the intensity of all my cardio and just kept a slow, comfortable pace. At this point we’ve nailed down that my body was very stressed out which was masking and preventing my results from being maximized, and now that we raised numbers and added a re-feed, things are moving along nicely. I’m really learning that the lower the body fat and more sensitive the body is, an increase in metabolism and decrease in stress may bring better results than a bigger deficit or more intensity.

Looking forward to a Finibar and Plazma fueled leg session today, the last one for this prep.

Looking ahead to peak week:
Saturday - Cardio, re-feed, shoulder training, 90 minute massage late morning, quad focus. Last day for cardio.
Sunday - Medium day, some carbs but not too many. No training/cardio (first day off in 2 months, looking forward to it)
Monday - Wednesday - Carb depletion, deplete workouts

Doing something a little different this peak week and starting my carb up on Thursday, rather than Friday. My thinking is:
I’ll be around 145 pounds for the show and probably don’t need the usual 350-400g carbs most people carb up on. I’m thinking probably closer to 250. Starting carb up on Thursday evening, I can wake up Friday and make a better call on what to eat for the day, keeping a “better safe than sorry” approach. Saturday I should wake up full, tight and hard, but will have plenty of time before prejudging to add more nutrients and fill out if needed.

We’ll be leaving for the hotel in NY Friday early afternoon, which will still give me time to get my super compensation work out in at my home gym, rather than finding one in NY. Once we arrive at the hotel, I’ll be finishing up my tan, doing my polygraph and kicking my feet up, doing everything I can to stay relaxed. NOT doing spray tan this time, I’ll be following standard bodybuilding protocol of a few layers of Pro-Tan, and finishing with Dream Tan #2 about an hour before pre-judging, and a light spray of Pam oil on top.

Overall I’m pleased with my progress and know I’m going to keep getting tighter until the show. This show is extremely competitive, and I’ve certainly done my home work since my last show. When I think about how far I’ve come from the start of the prep, it’s pretty incredible, and I have to keep that in mind and not let myself get too wrapped up in the competitive aspect of things. None-the-less, I am a competitive guy, and placing at this show would be a nice way to finish my first competitive season.

1 Like

Rock on Brother, doing great!

1 Like

Today I’m 8 days out from the show I’ve been planning for for about 9 months. It’s all coming together.

Today is the last low day, had my usual eggs, veggies and bacon breakfast, then will be subbing mid day meals for Mag-10 and some mixed nuts (almonds, cashews and brazil nuts), and will have my usual low day dinner and pre bed meal before bed. Dinner is chicken, veggies and almond butter, pre bed is the usual cottage cheese, Metabolic Drive and almond butter, put in the freezer for a couple hours. Did the usual 45 min of cardio this morning, after school will be another 45 min, then after dinner the usual 45 min walk with my wife, which has been a really nice way to unwind at the end of the day.

Now that we’ve stopped leg training and HIIT, legs are getting tighter every day. I’ve been doing 2.5 hours of cardio a day this week split up into 3 sessions, tomorrow is the last day for cardio. My legs/hips are really feeling it, so I’m looking forward to some good recovery next week leading up the show. Today is my last day of school (EVER!), which really is excellent leading up to the show. The next week is all about the show prep, I’m putting my music on hold and concentrating only on getting ready for next weekend. Now that school is done, I’ll get a LOT more sleep this week, will be taking naps after training, therapy pool, foam rolling, staying relaxed and letting my body heal up for the show.

Tomorrow is a re-feed day (woo!), I also have a gig with the swing band I plan in at night which will be a good time. Sunday is off-day and we also start depletion that day using the keto style diet I was on before. Then Thursday-Friday is carb up. Towards the end of the prep it’s become very apparent that I get bloated easily, either from too much fiber, or a large meal in general. My stomach has also been extra sensitive lately. So, I’ll be carb loading on foods that work for me that I know won’t give me any issues, mostly pancakes, bananas, white rice and Finibars. Some people like to go crazy with carb choices for the carb load, I think the worst thing someone can do is throw something new into the mix. I’m gonna play it safe as I don’t want my stomach to get distended, and want to stay nice and tight. Last show I think I could have handled a bigger carb load, so Thursday we’ll start, Friday we’ll see how I look and plan the day, and Saturday will be all about staying topped off, just enough food to stay tight. Better safe than sorry.

My show day meals will be:
Breakfast and 2nd meal- protein pancakes, 1TBSP peanut butter (smooth, not chunky) on top, a little extra salt. The pancake batter is oat based, so I’m thinking the slower digesting carbs, protein will and PB will keep me full in the beginning of the day, and it won’t be too much food. Small meals will be key for me. Just a couple of pancakes, about 300 cals in the meal total.

As the pre-judging gets closer, I’m going to transition to rice cakes. Probably will do 1 rice cake, TBSP of peanut butter, a little salt and some honey or jam. Not too much food, but a good amount of carbs and a little fat.

Rather than doing the snickers bar before pre-judging and night show, I’m going to do a reese’s cup as I think it’ll be easier on my stomach.

After pre-judging, I’m going to repeat the same pattern until the night show. Pancakes with PB, then rice cakes, PB and honey.

Post show, it’s pizza time.

This week I’ve pushed harder than ever to really get off any last bit of fat I can. This morning after cardio, looking in the mirror standing relaxed, my shoulders were very defined and abs were popping. Last night looking in the mirror, for the first time, I saw a road map of veins in my abs, everywhere, not just lower abs. For someone who used to be 205 pounds at 5’4", it was a pretty crazy sight!

At the beginning of my prep, Stu told me, “you have to get on stage KNOWING that no one worked harder than you.” I can honestly say, I have been relentless every freaking day of this prep since we started in October. Every rep, every meal, every aspect, I could not have worked any harder. Getting on stage knowing that will be a very empowering feeling. I am just going to go in there knowing I’ve done my best, and we’ll see where the chips fall.

Thanks so much bro! Are you still planning on coming to the show next weekend?

I am, looking forward to it. Would like to stop by and say “Howdy” but not sure of the logistics on the forum.

If I get the chance post judging on Saturday, I will give it a shot but the last thing I want to do is be intrusive.

1 Like

1 week out! Woke up today with a new low of 146.6, tightest and most vascular I’ve been yet. 10 hours of sleep last night plus a nap in the afternoon certainly helped, and I know being able to get more sleep next week will be very beneficial. Today is the last high day which will be a nice bump for the metabolism headed into peak week as we start to deplete tomorrow. While the extra cardio this week has been time intensive and rough on the legs/hips, it’s definitely made a difference and was well worth it. The Mag-10 substitutions also helped for sure. Tomorrow is an off day, I’ll probably go for a light, slow walk after breakfast for some active recovery but that’ll be it. Egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow, then I start depleting with the keto plan I was on before the first show.

The last 7 weeks have been a hell of a ride, but I feel prepared for next weekend and am excited to see the finished product now that I’m lean enough to really see the benefits of a proper peak.

A nice relaxing Sunday, first day in almost 2 months not doing cardio first thing in the AM. Enjoyed some coffee and protein pancakes as my last carb meal for breakfast, on keto now until we start carbing up Thursday night. Typical meals are:

-whole eggs and bacon for breakfast
-Kerrygold grass fed cheese and pepperoni
-chicken with spinach and olive oil, almond butter
-grass fed beef and spinach for dinner

After the re-feed yesterday, woke up still pretty tight today, tighter than usual after a re-feed. For the past 3 weeks, each day after the re-feed I’ve woken up at 150lbs holding water, today was 148, still holding some water from the carbs but overall much tighter. Today is an off day, so I’ll do some posing practice but no cardio or training.

Similar to the last show, now that peak week is here, I’m more relaxed knowing the hardest part of the prep is over, also school is done which is really great mentally and physically. The hours and hours of cardio a day, super low cal days, etc., are behind me now, this week is all about preparing for next weekend and doing everything I can to ensure my legs are as tight as possible. Foam rolling, epsom salt baths for good circulation, posing practice each day, keeping my feet up and some light walks over the next couple of days. During the show I’ll lay down with my feet propped up as long as possible until it’s time to put on the dream tan.

6 days to go!

1 Like

Been a heck of a trip huh?

Now compare:
-How you felt you looked before the prep, but obviously after a few years of productive training
-How you felt going into your “warm up” show a month or so back
-How you feel now, several days out from a seriously competitive Wnbf contest

S