Rob's Road to Hercules: Contest Prep

You looked great! I was wondering what they were doing moving those other dudes around and I was hoping they saw what I saw. I thought the winner, assuming it was 95, was leaner than you so you could see more details, but I thought you had better shape. The other guy, I assume it was Stu’s guy, number 80, looked pretty close to you. I’m completely ignorant when it comes to Body Building so I wasn’t sure what they would like, but I thought you two were pretty close.

Not sure what was up with the tan - some of those dudes were like a bronze metallic black. I thought yours looked good, but it was a bit different from many of the other guys. I saw what you mean about the spray on - some of the females had some streaks after being on stage for a while.

Great job, hope you killed the pizza!

1 Like

Awesome work, Rob! Very glad you let us follow along.

1 Like

My view is that you and the guy who beat you is a subjective preference not an objective standard, normally you can’t say this, but it could have gone either way.

1 Like

Open bantam prejudging. A bit of moving around/repositioning at the beginning, and a few cut off heads when my shoulders cramped -lol.

S

Congratulations Rob! It’s nice to see all that effort pay off.

1 Like

Congrats man - it’s tough just to get on stage let alone hold down second place. I reckon you had a couple of better poses than the guy next to you so I hope you go around again and see what you can do with some experience under the belt.

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone for all of your very kind words and posts! I wanted to update sooner, just needed some time to decompress. We got back late Sunday after picking up the dogs, and yesterday was a much needed day of relaxing with my wife and pups, and hitting the gym for chest and back.

Now that I have some time, I thought I’d give a little more detailed run down of the contest day, post contest, some cheat meal info, and my future plans. This will be a long detailed run down of the day, feel free to skip ahead to the post show cheat meal pics lol.

As I posted earlier, waking up the morning was stressful. Typically after a high carb re-feed day I would hold some water, some to ensure I wasn’t holding water, I drank a ton of water all day, about 4.5 gallons total, all the way up until bed time. The night before the show I woke up around 4 to 5 times to pee. Upon waking in the morning, I was not as tight, or as full as I expected to be, I thought I looked better earlier in the week as I was still depleting. After talking with Stu, he said not to worry, and since I was drinking all the way up until I went to bed, I still had some water to get out. I woke up at 7, the show started at 11 and my pre-judging would be around 1 or so. After water loading all week, show day water intake is very minimal - a few sips with each feeding, and a sip here or there to quench thirst as needed. But, after drinking all week, the body still releases water Saturday, not yet catching on to the fact that you’re not drinking. So, he said just to keep peeing, take in minimal water and I should see myself getting tighter.

Meal 1 was pancakes with a little peanut butter on top, I respond well to the fats. Not all people do, some do better with straight carbs all day, but the fats fill me out nicely and definitely give me a harder look. I also noticed all during keto that while I was a little flat, I was always fairly vascular, so I wanted to be sure I got some fat in with each feeding.

I wound up spending most of the day with Mike Raganella (#80, first place in Bantams and overall show winner). Stu also coaches Mike, so we heard a lot about each other and finally had the chance to meet up. He won the bantams last year but not the overall, so I was glad to be able to pick his brain and have an experienced competitor to hang with. He’s an incredibly nice guy, and also had a ridiculous show day meal bag, consisting of every Reese’s product you could imagine which really came in handy.

After the competitor meeting we went to the pump-up room and set up our spots. I brought a camping chair I set up, laid down and kept my feet up as much as possible. Once the show started, I checked the mirror and was overall still not as tight or full as I knew I could be, or needed to be. Mike was also saying he was pretty hungry and was thinking about eating again, and after seeing his Reese’s spread on a rice cake, I dug in with him. Stu came by and said to do a light pump up after each feeding, so I did, and almost immediately I started looking fuller and harder. So, I took that as a cue that I needed to eat more (without over doing it), so I ate every hour instead of every 2 hours. Mostly rice cakes an Reese’s spread, or one pancake with some PB. As the pre-judging got closer, I stuck with rice cakes and some vanilla cupcake graham cracker goldfish.

Once the competitor meeting was done, it was time to put on the dream tan. Bantamweights were up earlier in the show, and it’s best to put on the dream tan at least an hour before. It definitely takes some trial/error to figure it out. Aside from the method of application, which is to dab it in a few spots, rub it in, then open-palm slap it to even it out. Even figuring how much pressure to slap it in is important, otherwise you’ll see hand prints. I initially wound up putting on too much, which Mike and Stu both pointed out. It’s thick, so too much will cover the lines and definition. Stu found some pieces of paper, wiped off a bunch, and showed Katie (my amazing wife) how to even it out. Eventually we found the groove and wound up wiping off a lot and evening it out, a thin layer is all that’s needed. The red/bronze #2 dream tan is the best, it even has some little gold glitters in it to add to stage shine. Katie was an absolute champ all day, my MVP. From ProTanning me to keeping me from freaking out, Dream Tan, cheering me on, it was awesome to have her there with me all day. I kept eating and pumping, getting ready for pre-judging. As pre-judging approached, we put on some Muscle Juice posing oil, Katie would spray some onto her hand and lightly pat it in.

The show was moving pretty quickly, and eventually someone came in and announced where they were in the show, Mike and I both realized we had about 15 minutes until pre judging. So, I ate my pre-stage meal of 1 TBSP vegetable glycerol, rice cake, 1 TBSP PB and 1 TBSP honey, with 1/2 teaspoon of salt on top, with about 2-3oz of water. That really did the trick, I started getting fuller and vascular very quickly. Some light pumping, and it was time to get on stage.

The Bantamweight class had 7 competitors total, it was a tight group and I was glad to get on stage with guys in my weight class, rather than stuck with the lightweights as I was in my first show. Right before the stage Stu reminded me to flex my legs always (and smile!), as with some poses, like abs-thigh, it’s easy to think about upper body and forget the legs. We walked on stage, I hit my front-relaxed, and off it went.

I felt confident up there having practiced posing so often, knowing I worked my ass off, and feeling more relaxed having been on stage before. We went through a round of quarter turns, some shuffling around, another round of quarter turns, more shuffling around, then a third round of quarter turns. Once the third round started, I knew it was going to be tight and every instant of every pose made a difference, had to bring my best.

We started the muscularity round, which I typically feel more confident with than quarter turns, only because it’s easier for me to feel locked in with a mandatory pose than it is with quarter turns. As you can see in the video, they did some shuffling, and eventually I got to the middle. Even though I knew that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m in the running for the top spot, it just felt freaking awesome to be called to the middle in a class of 7 after such a brutal prep. It was a big boost and helped me keep the fight going. Eventually they called the “victory pose” from the rear and none of us knew what to do, I guess it showed our age lol. We all figured it out eventually.

After pre-judging it felt so good to know I gave my best performance possible. Stu found us and showed us the pre-judging video, and I just couldn’t believe it. Even looking in the mirror before you go on stage, or looking down at yourself before going on stage, looks nothing like what you wind up looking like on stage. Being under the lights with the tan and the posing oil and such, really changes the look. I had no idea what I looked like until seeing the video on Stu’s phone, and especially as it was my first show where I was really in proper condition, I just couldn’t believe it.

After pre-judging I laid down with my feet up for a couple hours and just chatted with Katie, watched the pre-judging video a bunch of times. I kept the same eating routine, and when it was time to start the routines did a light touch up dream tan, followed the same food protocol. It was a blast to perform the routine, especially feeling more confident in my physique after watching the video.

Eventually they posted the top 5 for each class for the night show, and I saw that I placed in the top 5. Had another rice cake with the usual toppings, quick pump up and headed out for awards. They had us hit a couple quick poses, then announced the placements. I was very happy with my 2nd place finish, to have worked so hard for so long, knowing I came in strong, gave a solid showing and earned a top spot in one of the most competitive natural shows in the country in my first competitive season, just an incredible feeling. Mike and I congratulated each other, he was diced up and absolutely deserved the first place trophy. I got dressed quickly to be able to run out and watch him compete in the overall, while going up against 4 other very tough competitors, he took it. Watching it live, it was clear he was the winner. It was awesome to watch him take the overall, having hung with him all day, also knowing we’re both Stu’s guy’s.

It was such an incredible day, so much fun and very rewarding. After some high-fiving and hand shaking back stage with all the competitors, seeing Katie and my family, getting some great pics with Mike and Stu, it was time to eat.

I’ve been looking forward to pizza all prep. My parents, Katie, myself and Vito (a first time competitor from out of town, great guy who is coached by Chris Elkins - a great WNBF pro) all headed out. After dropping our stuff off at the hotel and asking the guy at the desk where the best local pizza is, he told us to go to “Little Italy” and how to get there. The pizza was absolutely the best I ever had.
BBQ Chicken, Buffalo Chicken Ranch, Chicken Pepperoni and Margherita. After that Katie and I shared some ice cream, then Vito and I found a taco place still open and got a couple tacos. An amazing night of eating after an amazing day of competing and a long 6 months of hard work!

Sunday I followed a low day diet, with the exception of a little frozen yogurt. This week I’m doing mostly low days to make up for Saturday, then we’ll assess and slowly started adding in cals and dialing back cardio.

This week I’m doing 2 HIIT workouts, a short walk at some point every day, and still hitting the gym for the usual split, just taking it easy with the intensity this week. As my calories increase I’ll be dialing it up for sure, want to let my body recover a bit but I’ll still be in the gym training 5 days a week.

2 Likes

The morning after the show, I saw the president of the WNBF in the lobby. She told me she thought I gave a strong presentation, and that some of the judges had me in first place based on my size and muscularity, and that ultimately I need to be able to come in tighter and she’s confident I’ll get my pro card soon. Very encouraging! The pictures don’t always do the best job of relaying what it looks like live, but I agree that Mike’s conditioning was just insane. Dude had lines everywhere, his glutes and legs were crazy diced, lower back, in addition to very impressive size and symmetry. I was glad to be able to share the stage with such a great competitor and genuinely great guy, and getting second place to the overall winner was a hell of a way to start my competitive season!

After getting over the initial “wow I can’t believe that’s me” thoughts, I’m looking forward to improving my weak points and coming back better next year. I want to focus on shoulders and arms, and lats. I feel my chest/back are strong, legs are always a goal to improve of course, but shoulders and arms are what I want to bring up most. So, I’m going to have one weekly chest/back session, one weekly leg session, and double up on shoulders/arms/lats. Not sure how I’ll split it up yet, I’ll start the new split next week.

Diet wise I’m doing a smart reverse diet with Stu, slowly adding in cals and decreasing cardio. Ultimately, I want to keep the progress I made, stay lean in the off season and put on LBM smartly, not just eat my ass off and say “I’m bulking bro.” I know I will be competing again next year and when I start my prep I want to be in a better place than I was this year. I’ll keep my off season weight ideally around 157-158, no higher than 160.

I started lifting in the gym a little less than 4 years ago. I went from being a 205 pound tubster to competitive bodybuilder, and T-Nation has played such an essential role in that transformation. I never would have gotten a gym membership, much less even considered stepping on stage, without this website, the resources it offers, and the amazing forums and people on here. Now, bodybuilding is part of who I am. I know I will be competing next year (not sure when/where yet) but I am really looking forward to improving my weak points and coming back bigger and tighter next year.

I got the pro shot proofs in the email, I’ll order them and post them up here for sure. I’ll also be starting an off-season training log, detailing my training, nutrition and off-season progress, in preparation for another competitive season next year.

I would like to extend MASSIVE THANKS to everyone who has taken the time to follow along on the thread in any manner, to those who have been kind enough to post, and the T-Nation community. It’s been a great outlet to have a place to write about the prep and discuss with like-minded people. I hope this log provides some good info and insight for anyone who takes the time to read it, and that it one day might motivate someone the way that other great competitor’s prep logs have motivated me. Once I start my training log next week I’ll post the link for anyone who may want to follow along.

2 Likes

@Yogi1 Thank you so much man! I really appreciate you following along, thanks for hanging in on this thread brother. Definitely looking forward living the “normal” life for a while and enjoying a productive off season :slight_smile:

1 Like

@EyeDentist thank you so much man!!

1 Like

@The_Myth - Dude thank you SO MUCH for coming out the show support at the show, amazing! I’m sorry we couldn’t meet up, but I knew you were there I and can’t tell you how much I appreciate it man!

Yeah everyone has a different tanning method, I followed Stu’s protocol after the debacle with my spray tan at the first show. I think it worked out nicely and I really like the finish it gave me, especially with a little bit of the posing oil. Next time I’ll put the posing oil on just a little earlier so it can dry and not be so reflective.

I definitely murdered that pizza!

@sctb - Thank you for following along brother!!

@tuttle - Thank you very much man. I was told some of the judges had me on top based on my size and posing/presentation. The pics don’t always do justice compared to seeing it live, Mike really was just so diced, combined with his size and great symmetry, he deserved the win. I think when it’s that close, a lot of it can come down to personal preference. Ultimately though, it often comes down to conditioning, and I have no qualms about it. Mike looked outstanding and is a genuinely great guy and competitor. He drove me to push myself as hard as possible that day, and from a competitive aspect, just knowing a couple judges still had me on top is a very encouraging!

1 Like

@Fishdog70 Thanks a lot bro! It does feel great and very rewarding after such a long prep, and considering where I started. Now I can enjoy a relaxing summer with my wife and pups, and digging in to come back better next year :slight_smile:

@tsantos thank you very much! I will definitely be taking advantage of the off season to improve, and will be competing again next year. Starting the prep with a year of competitive experience will be a huge advantage, gotta get to next level shredded!

Awesome job Rob, congrats on 2nd place. A great reward for all that hard work!

2 Likes

@littlesleeper Thanks so much bro! I really appreciate that, thanks for following along :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few of the pro shots
EDIT: for some reason some of them are displaying a little weird. If you click on them you’ll see the original file.

Looking at them carefully, I think my symmetry and size work well for me, but I know I need to come in next year even tighter.

1 Like

So far this has been a very enjoyable week. I did a three low days in a row after my cheat meal, then have had medium days and a high day since. I’m slowly going to be increasing cals and carbs, but this week I’ve been working out earlier than I usually did during the school year, so I’ve been cramming in all of my carbs around the workout. Training on a Finibar and 2 Scoops of Plazma felt incredible for the past two days, I haven’t felt that good in the gym in a long time. Being able to push harder than I have in a while, bringing the pain, I’ve missed it! It feels good to be more driven than ever and have the fuel to kill my sessions.

My plan for the summer is to maintain a 5 day split, with double arm and shoulder sessions during the week.