Rob's Road to Hercules: Contest Prep

Pretty interesting perspective changes. At the start of my prep I thought I looked lean to be starting a prep and like I wouldn’t have too far to go. Boy was I mistaken!

I was very happy with the progress I made, but I new I wasn’t “there” yet. I felt confident enough to step on stage though, which was my biggest concern at the time, knowing we still had 8 weeks of work to do before the big show.

Today I woke up feeling more prepared than ever, and excited for the opportunity to compete with guys I know will push me to leave it all on the stage. It’s been quite a change from even 4 weeks ago when I’d seemingly stalled and was worried I wouldn’t be ready. Fortunately, we found the right formula for me and everything started snowballing quickly, to the point where now I really do feel ready to get on stage for this extremely competitive show. Looking back on my pics from the first show, I’ve made a ton of progress since then and am excited to see it all come together on Saturday.

4 days out - first thing AM - 145.6lbs

4 days out and feeling ready. This week I’ve only been getting tighter (and flatter due to depletion), so once I carb up and get a tan on I think I’ll fill out nicely. So far peak week is going well, I’ve been getting 9-10 hours of sleep each night, no cardio other than some light walking around, my body is responding well to the recovery. The depletion workouts take about 40 minutes and are done with about 70-80% of the normal weights I use, so not too stressful but definitely getting a good pump. The point of these workouts is to get whatever glycogen may be left in the muscles out, so short rest periods and higher reps are utilized, using antagonistic supersets to keep the session moving quickly. As an example, yesterday’s workout was:

5 min elliptical warm up

Seated Cable Row/Flat DB Bench - 7 sets. Had to drag a flat bench over next to the cable row, which in a busy and crowded gym like mine can be tough. But, I’ve found if you have a serious enough look on your face and move quickly, people usually let you do your thing.

Cross Body DB Curls/Decline DB Tricep Extensions - 7 sets

Seated Calf Press/Seated DB Shoulder Press - 7 sets

This is day 4 of the keto depletion diet, day 2 was the toughest as the brain handles no carbs, but yesterday and today have been much more productive. Brain Candy really helps! Water intake has been 3-3.5 gallons per day. Another side effect of the depletion phase is looking “flat” which I certainly have noticed. “Flat” meaning the muscles do not have the typical amount of glycogen in them they normally do when carbs are in the diet. Glycogen makes the muscles look full, and without the glycogen in the muscles they can appear flat, not pumped, etc. But, the whole point of the depletion week is to purposely get the glycogen OUT of the muscles, as research shows when the muscles have been depleted, then refilled with glycogen, they can actually store more glycogen than usual and it all goes right to the muscle (provided water intake is also balanced properly).

We’re starting my carb up Thursday night, replacing my usual last meal of almond butter and 3oz chicken with olive oil, with chicken and 2 cups of rice. Friday we’re going to be aggressive with the carbs, aiming for 300g. Water intake will still be high to ensure I don’t hold any extra water from the carbs. Once I’m carbed and tanned, I’ll be fuller, tighter and ready to go. Carb sources will be pancakes, white rice, Finibars and maybe some bananas in the AM.

Today I’m weaning down my veggie intake, tomorrow they’re eliminated completely to ensure my stomach isn’t distended at all come Saturday from any fiber left over. I’ll be switching most of my chicken meals to egg whites as they’re easier to digest and should also keep me tight.

Tomorrow we’re taking the dogs to my friend’s house, and prepping the food for the show weekend. Mainly baggies of protein pancakes and egg white/rice meals, everything else is pre-packaged. Also tomorrow is the full body shave in the afternoon, and first layer of ProTan in the evening.

Friday I’ll add 4 layers of ProTan throughout the day, get my light pump workout in after a couple meals, then we’re heading to the hotel at 1pm. Leaving plenty of room for traffic and bathroom breaks as 3 gallons a day means I usually need a bathroom every 20 minutes or so. Check in the hotel at 3pm, polygraph is in the hotel at 4pm. Then it’ll be more tanning, eating and relaxing. The show site is about a block away from the hotel, easy walk.

I got some new posing trunks that look great and I’ve been practicing posing every day this week. Overall I feel much better and more confident posing this time around, and for whatever reason, also don’t sweat buckets like I used to before the first show.

Just for a quick perspective, these are start of the prep, January 1, until today. Pretty crazy what 6 months of dieting and hard work, having a wizard for a coach, and the best supplements on the market can do! Crazy to think I’m pretty flat today, and will be fuller/tighter once I carb up.

2 Likes

As I look at your pics and all your updates I see a few things…
1- Your transition and evolution not only physically over the past months(looking great) but also mentally. We all know too well the physical “wall” we hit at some point in our prep but there is a mental one as well and it seems your did a great job overcoming both.

2- it’s clear that you have been meticulous and truly took this seriously (starting a thread is a sign) and not just “I’ll diet for 12 weeks and I’ll sign up for the show if I look good” mentality…

3- As many beieve we have evolved from apes, you have clearly evolved into a BodyBuilder ! Congrats lol

1 Like

You look awesome and like a different person compared to the New Jersey show! Six months of preparing is quite a chore! Congratulations!

Duuude that is a sick front lat spread!!!

(Just realised there may be a lingo or behind the screen translation barrier, sick is a good thing lol)

@arash_rahbar - Thank you so much man! I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out and your kind words. It’s been quite a ride over the past 6 months, and I agree the journey mentally has been just as transformative as physically. Looking forward to the show Saturday, and to a productive off season to come back stronger next year.

Thanks again man, good luck with your prep for the Olympia! You looked incredible at Pittsburgh and NY, really looking forward to seeing your updates as you get ready for the O!

Thanks so much bro! I really appreciate that, especially since you were there with me at the NJ show. Looking forward to seeing you again Saturday!

@tsantos - Thank you very much man! Much appreciated bro!

2 days out, woke up today tighter, lighter and flatter. 144.4 lbs, so far I’ve lost 4 lbs this in the past 4 days from keto and water loading. Having gone through a previous peak week, I’m not letting the flatness of the muscles mess with my head. I start carbing up tonight with 2 cups of rice, tomorrow is carbs all day, so I know by Saturday I’ll be filled out and tight.

No training today. I’ll be writing trying to finish a project for a client, then we’re dropping the dogs off. After that I’ll be prepping my food for tomorrow and Saturday, full body shave, and first layer of ProTan for before bed. I’ll also get another posing practice session in today sometime.

1 Like

OK, first layer of ProTan on last night. It didn’t look too dark when we were applying it, but it really does get quite a bit darker over a few hours, woke up this morning dark and tight. Last night we started our carb load with chicken, 2 cups of rice, cottage cheese and a banana, definitely still flat but woke up tighter and fuller.

Each layer of the tan settles in nicely and evens out over a few hours and does darken up, so I know I keep getting darker with each successive application. We put another one this morning, and will be putting on another two or three later today depending on how I look. The darker the better!

I am opting for ProTan and dream tan protocol instead of the spray tan that I did last time for a few reasons. Number one, the spray tan will not get nearly as dark as ProTan and dream tan. Number two, ProTan really sinks in the skin much better, so even if I do you sweat, there is much less likely chance that it will run as my last tan did.

Right now I am finishing prepping the last of my meals, mainly cooking individual servings of pancakes for my earlier meals tomorrow, and we’re packing up and heading to the hotel. I will be putting on another layer of tan once we get there, then take my polygraph, then tanning again I will see how I look if I need another layer tonight.

Although I do feel very confident for the show, I do have some nerves and anxiousness creeping in now that it’s tomorrow. Going to stay as relaxed as possible once we get the hotel, tan, eat, and relax.

Show day grub!

Woke up with tight legs and upper body holding a little water. I was drinking a ton yesterday all the way up till bed time, today’s water intake is minimal. So I anticipate as I continue to pee and take in some carbs I’ll tighten up.

1 Like

Looking great, good luck!

Alright, a very competitive pre judging in the books!

About an hour before pre judging I was dryer but still flat. So, I just started eating more, taking a cue from another great competitor, one of Stu’s guys, who was eating some Reese’s spread over rice cakes. Had some of that, a pancake with peanut butter, some of his graham cracker gold fish, and would do a brief pump up after each feeding. I started filling out and getting tighter, so I knew I was on the right track. About 20 min before pre judging I had a tablespoon of vegetable glycerol, a rice cake with a TBSP of peanut butter, a TBSP of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of salt on top. Pumped up right after and really started getting hard and vascular.

Pre judging was competitive for the bantamweights. There were 7 total competitors, unfortunately there need to be 8 to win a pro card, but the winner of the class will still compete in the overall. We started in numerical order, they moved us around a bit, I wound up in the middle and stayed there through the end. they kept Mike (Stu’s other guy) and me together throughout.

Stu recorded and showed me the video, I will post pics ASAP but I’m very happy with my presentation. It felt so good to get up there after working relentlessly hard for 6 months and knowing it all came together. It was a blast! A lot of great competitors, we really pushed each other.

Right now I’m sitting with my feet up on a camping chair I brought, taking it easy. We have 2 hours until we need to be ready for the night show. At 5 the night show starts, we do our routines (in numerical order) then the weight classes come out for awards and then the overall competitions.

After pre judging I had a cookie my parents brought me (not eating the whole bag just yet) and a pancake and a little water, few bites of chicken and egg whites. I’m not going to let loose just yet. I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I feel confident I’ll be in the top 3, so in the chance I take the weight class I want to be sure I’m ready to compete again tonight. Gonna start eating again at 4 and follow the same routine. Rice cakes with PB and honey, I’ll see if Mike will let me get some more Reese’s spread as I’m addicted now, and the same pump up food of rice cake, PB, honey and salt.

Here’s a screen shot I took from the video my wife took of the pre judging.

1 Like

Yeeha!

Nice work, fatty!

Now go crush some pizza and enjoy living like a normal person for a while.

Seriously, dude - well done. Brilliant thread; brilliant result. Couldn’t be happier for you.

1 Like

^x2. You look awesome–unbelievable transformation. Congrats.

1 Like