T Nation

Rob's 2017 Contest Prep Thread

This is good stuff Rob.

@The_Myth thanks so much man, it’s good to hear from you!

Hey Rob, I’ve got a question that may be somewhat personal regarding music as a career.

This time next year I’ll have finished High School, and I see two paths in the future. Ex-Phys/Physio or Music Composition. I really, really love writing music and I understand that you write marching band pieces for a living? How difficult and how long did it take to get noticed? Was it tough getting by in the years prior?

I appreciate if the question is too personal for an open forum, so no pressure to answer at all.

Cheers

EDIT: If it’s relevant, I mostly write orchestral and jazz-ensemble music

Alright, while I haven’t weighed myself in a couple weeks, I’m guessing I’m around 154-155, and that this will be a feasible off season weight to maintain, and the best combination of conditioning and feeling good, and like my life isn’t being run by my diet and training.

The past couple weeks I’ve kicked it up a notch, adding some more cardio, keeping cals low, and last week from Monday-Thursday, I just felt pretty bad. Tired, slow, totally not motivated, had a lot of trouble working, etc. Friday-Sunday added more food, not a ton, a few hundred cals a day, and eliminated cardio, and took an extra day off from the gym. I feel significantly better, mentally and physically. So, I think I’m at that point where I’m as lean as I can get without sacrificing quality of life. Knowing that it’s about 15lbs above stage weight, that’s pretty good IMO, and I’ve become content with that as I know I’d need to start feeling pretty bad and making more sacrifices to get tighter.

Some further thoughts that I recently posted on @kd13’s log in a response to a comment he made:

Something that helps me, is to remember that the body is MEANT to store fat, and we NEED body fat to survive. Unless you’re getting on stage, it’s good to find a balance of conditioning vs reality, although it might be hard to know the reality of where you can sit without killing yourself until doing a contest and knowing what it feels and looks like to have almost no body fat.

Coincidentally, I was just talking with my wife last night about this, as we’ve both competed and of course want to be as lean as possible, but realize there’s only so far you can go while NOT being in a contest.

In order to get rid of that “last bit of fat” everyone talks about, you completely have to prioritize it over everything else in your life, especially as a natural. Keeping in mind that when most folks think they only have that “little bit of fat” to go they’re still at least 25-30lbs from stage ready, or more. If you’ve really only got a “little bit of fat in the lower back and lower abs” left, then you’re probably sitting at 7-8% body fat, don’t feel good and will have to dig deeper than you ever thought you could to get rid of it.

Getting on stage is the motivator, when you know you’re going to be judged on that little bit of fat, and you’re not going to get on stage unless you know you’re ready and did everything you could. When you feel terrible and can barely move, can’t muster the energy to walk to the car and bending down to pet your dog seems like hard work, you do it anyway because you’re getting on stage. Without that, then it’s like…why? Why put yourself through that? The added cardio, further restricting calories, etc. Truly, it feels terrible to be that lean, so I’m just gonna enjoy looking lean and feeling good.

I’ve recently had the goal of getting as lean as I can in the off season, to get to that point where I’m as lean as I can get without feeling the suffering or like it’s taking over my life. I think I’ve reached that point. I’m at ~10% according to the calipers, visible shoulder cuts, hard to see abs because I’m very hairy these days, but in good lighting there’s a clear 6 pack. Of course since I’ve been leaner before, I still want to be leaner to get that physique, but after dieting for the past 2 months, I realize now to get leaner I’d basically have to be in a prep mentality, and the reason I’m leaning towards not competing is that I don’t want to be on a prep again for a long time. For me, it just feels too shitty to get down to that level of leanness, taking 2.5-3 hours out of every day to get to the gym for cardio in the AM and training in the PM, and I have too much going on in real life, and my quality of life with my family is too good and important to sacrifice my emotions, time, and memories to lose a little bit more fat or throw on some posing trunks.

One last thought, is that once you “get there” you realize you’ll never “get there.” Even when I was 5% around show time, all I could see was where I wanted to improve. “Ok, got shreds in the abs and obliques, veins in my shoulders, and definition in my glutes, but man my quads could be a little drier.” Really, you’ll never reach a point where you’ll think, “I did it! I’m as lean and jacked as possible and am completely content.” Case and point, 3 months after the contest is over, looking back on the pics and going, “I looked like that?! Damnit! If only I cherished it more!” Knowing that when I was taking those pics, I was thinking, “I look like that?! Damnit! I’ll never get there!”

I’ll weigh myself later this week, again guessing it’s around 155. If it’s lower, I’ll be stoked to be closer to stage weight and having lost more fat than I thought. If it’s higher, I’ll be stoked because with my current level of conditioning, that means I’ve put on some considerable LBM since my show. Either way, I’m becoming more satisfied with combination of conditioning and quality of life. I’ll try to slowly chip away at a few more lbs to get leaner if I can, but I won’t obsess over it.

This week, I’m going to try to lock it down Mon-Thur if possible, because there are some serious eating festivities coming this weekend!

You mean that you’re not going to stick to a contest diet during the holidays?! And you call your self hard-core -lol :wink:

S

@j4gga2 - Happy to offer my thoughts, always!

Long music related post below!

Yep, I’m a professional bando commando, and I love it :slight_smile: I’ve been involved in marching band and drum corps since my freshman year in high school, so just shy of 20 years now (god damnit, what?! Where’s the time go?!)

I started my business when I was 21 in graduate school. I got my bachelors degree in trumpet performance, emphasis in jazz studies, (I’m a jazz trumpet player), and masters degree in music education. But, even then, I knew I loved teaching, but not enough to do it for 25-30 years. So, I started my marching band business with the aspirations to do it full time and stop teaching eventually. It seemed like a pipe dream and wasn’t sure if it would ever really happen, but, fast forward 12 years, and here I am.

Extremely difficult and about 6-7 years to start making any decent money. Every area of music composition is different. But, one thing I believe they all have in common to be successful, you need (in no particular order, they’re all essential):

-To absolutely love what you do, enough to keep doing it when the going gets tough and/or you think you suck at it.
-A big and impressive resume
-A lot of music
-Connections in the industry
-A unique sound and style
-A way to keep getting your name and material out there (money to invest for advertising helps a lot)
-An impressive and professional website
-Be very good at what you do so when an opportunity presents itself, you’ll get the gig.
-Be very personable, polite, professional, respectful, and real. Prioritize your clients, have excellent customer service.
-Be realistic and figure out how much money you’ll need to make a living.

So, what does this mean? To expand on each of these points, it means you need to:

-Pay your dues to make a big impressive resume. My first years in the activity I taught bands for free, I wrote shows for free for little to no money just for the experience, exposure, and resume material. Work with a variety of groups so you can have a bigger resume and more clients. I drove very far to work with great groups, burned the candle at both ends and was an absolute machine, keeping in mind that this was all separate from my full time job of teaching. During college, while I was getting my double major, I still taught 3 bands a week, private lessons, etc. I never partied, I never slacked, I just worked worked worked. But, looking at my current situation, I wouldn’t have done it any other way. After enough hard work and long days, you’ll have en extensive resume that will allow you to start getting paid more, and get more notoriety.

Write a lot of music - Until last year, at least half of the music I wrote every year, if not more, I didn’t get paid for. I wrote when I wasn’t teaching to expand my library/selection of music that I sell so when people go on my website, they’ll have more to choose from and I’ll increase my chances of selling something. You’ll never make long-term considerable, consistent money writing music if you don’t have a large library, unless you’re like a prolific composer and are writing movie soundtracks to blockbusters or something. The past couple years I’ve had enough clients that I can take what I write for them and put it “on the shelf” the following year to sell, so I no longer spend time writing music if I’m not getting paid to do it, but that took 10 years to get to that point.

Connections in the industry - Are developed over time, largely when you’re “paying your dues”, but also every time you get a new gig, you make new relations that spider web out. You make connections, and are then connected to all of those people’s connections, and that will pay off if you do a great job and make a good impression; enthusiastic word of mouth is by far the most powerful and best referral.
Going to conferences is another great way to learn and make connections. Every state has a music conference/convention, some are bigger than others. For example, The Midwest Clinic, TMEA, TI:ME, NAMM, are all hugely attended. Find someone you want to learn from or talk to, and just go up, introduce yourself, and ask if they wouldn’t mind talking with you or offering some advice. If it’s after the convention day is over as you’re at host hotel or something, there’s always “the hang” afterwards, the place where everyone goes to unwind and socialize. If you can buy them a drink during this time especially, you’ll find they’re very open to conversation, and this will almost always bear fruit in the future. Additionally, it’s really fun to make new friends in the industry!

Be unique - You need a sound/style that makes you stand out. It doesn’t need to be ground breaking, earth shattering brand new, but it does need to be you and something that makes you stick out from the crowd. Many, many folks write music, you need to stand out.

-A Way to get your name out
Regardless of how good you are, you won’t sell or get paid to write anything if people don’t know you exist. For me, I was able to make the jump to working from home writing full time when I found the advertising methods that worked best for me and invested more significantly in them. This also means knowing your clientele. My clients are high school marching band directors, so once I found the best method to get my materials in front of them, things really started moving. Of course, by that point, I had established a fairly large library, impressive website, and large client list, so when they did see my materials, I had a good shot at earning their business. Posting on Facebook and relying exclusively on word of mouth will get you nowhere, so it’s important to look at trade magazines, trade shows, various industry websites, etc., and see what works best for you.

-An impressive and professional website - When I started my business and had my first website 12 years ago, it was hard and expensive to build a website. There was no Squarespace (what I use currently) to do it for you, and web development wasn’t nearly as common. You either did it yourself, or paid someone a couple grand to do it for you. So, I did it myself after buying a couple books. It looked pretty bad, but was a start. After 4 or so years, I found someone to do it for $1,000, it wasn’t incredible but was definitely better! Then, about 4 years ago, I found Squarespace, and over the course of a couple months, completely revamped everything and built my own site. Once it was done, it was a game changer for my business. Remember, your website is the first impression. People might find your info, or hear about you, so they go to your website. Before they even consider listening to your material, they need to see a visually appealing, professional website. If your website doesn’t present well and isn’t very clear and easy to navigate, the music on there won’t matter. This day and age with all the software and online templates available at a very affordable rate, there’s no excuse not to have an incredible looking website!

-Be very good at what you do - It won’t start that way, but over time you’ll get good enough to really be successful, IF you have the right combination of talent and relentless work ethic. My first few pieces were definitely not great, but over time you keep learning and striving to improve, you’ll get better. You don’t have to be incredible now, but eventually, you will if you want to be successful and make a living at it.

Be polite, professional and have excellent customer service - Once you get a gig, you want to give the client the best experience possible, Your emails and correspondence need to be well written and clear of typos and grammatical errors. You should come across as very professional on the phone and in written correspondence, but not in a fake or robotic way. As long as you’re passionate about your career and making people happy with your product, that’ll take care of itself.

and lastly,

Be realistic and know how much money you’ll need to make a living - IMO, colleges do not do a good job of this, so it’s up to YOU to figure this out. When I was in school getting my performance degree, no one said, “oh hey, you’ll be living with your parents forever because you can’t make a living performing unless you’re one of the best around, period. Your professors who are mind-blowing good? Yeah, that’s your competition when you graduate. Besides getting paid for food, there’s also this thing called rent, health insurance, and “retirement” which is really far away but will happen one day and you don’t want to work retail when you’re 70.”

For me, this worked out well, because after receiving my masters degree in education, I was able to get a teaching job in a solid district, lived at home for a couple years and banked my salary, chipped away aggressively at my students loans, had benefits, and was able to build my business while teaching. Eventually moved in with my wife (fiance at the time), still teaching up until 2 years ago. The last few years teaching was incredibly challenging as I was trying to transition from teaching to writing full time, but I most definitely could not have done it if I didn’t teach for 10 years, with a steady income, benefits, stability and such.

Additionally, a primary reason I can work from home full time now, even with making a living at writing, is my wife is teacher, has a steady paycheck, benefits, and pension account. As a composer you work on commission, so the steady income is key. Additionally, if I had to pay for my own health insurance and we didn’t have my wife’s benefits, I’d probably still be teaching.

It is most certainly relevant, because the type of music you write will determine how much you get paid to write it. For example, let’s say you write a piece for a jazz band. You’ll need a publisher, or to self publish. Pros and cons:
-Publisher - If you publish/distribute your music through Hal Leonard or a big name publisher like that, you’ll get a ton of exposure, reap the benefits of their advertising budget and sell a good amount of music hopefully. But, they’ll get a large portion of the profit and typically you’ll get 20-30% of the total sale. Sell a piece for $100, you’ll get $20-$30 per sale.
-Self Published (This is what I do.) Self publishing, you get all the money from the sale, and people buy your music directly from you on your website via online check out. Sell a piece for $100, get $100 (but don’t forget, 30% of that will be put aside for taxes later!) HOWEVER, you have to put more money into advertising yourself and push your own product 100%.

For me, self-publishing works out because marching band shows cost more money than many other forms of music. They’re also very long, involved, are meant to be put with a visual package on the field and tell a story, so there’s quite a lot involved with making a marching band show that is not considered with most other forms of music. But anyway, I can spend a few thousand dollars on a specific advertising method, and if I sell a few shows I can break even. Selling orchestra and jazz band charts, you’ll need to sell a lot of music to make a living. It can certainly be done! Just trying to give you some things to think about.

Here’s another example, a guy that goes to my gym is a digital composer, and he does movie/commercial/TV show music. He does the music for big reality shows like Duck Dynasty, etc., extremely impressive. His music consists of the background stuff you hear while the show is happening. Sometimes it’s just a 1 or 2 second sound effect, or maybe a drone or etherial pad, or something intense when there’s drama, so a huge variety of material is needed. He says he has libraries of ** tens of thousands** of little clips he’s created over the years and has to write every day to keep making it happen. Just another story of someone who’s doing well and how they do it.

So, for you, if you currently write orchestra/concert band/jazz band music, you’ll need to write a lot, get a big name publisher to distribute, and keep it going. There are some people who can make a living at it right out of school, but it’s rare. Not saying it can’t be done, but these are all important aspects to consider if you’re going to try to make a living at it.

I hope all this info is helpful, please always feel free to post with further questions or anything else I can offer some thoughts on :slight_smile:

Thank you so, so, so much for your amazing reply Rob! I honestly never thought nor realised how much time and effort was put into a music career outside of just “practise, practise, practise.” I don’t have much to ask about by our response, that professionalism is certainly apparent in the clarity of your reply. I do, however, have one question: How important is the college/university/conservatorium from which you get your music degree? I have heard from many other professions that no one really cares where you studied, is the sentiment the same in the music industry?

Had a great chest workout yesterday, after three days of eating a little more and dialing back cardio, felt very strong and got a good pump. Had a PR for incline dumbbell press, was able to get:
95’sx12, 105’sx12, 110’sx10, 110’sx10. I think I’ve done 110x10 before but that’s the most amount of sets in the 105 and 110 area.

Really the only change I’ve made to my nutrition is a bigger breakfast. I used to eat a cup of egg whites with veggies, sometimes a whole egg in there, and 2 slices Ezekiel bread. Now, I have an extremely tasty breakfast of:
-1 whole egg (from the farm) and 3/4cup egg whites, veggies, usually fresh onion, mushroom and tomato
-1 serving hot Ezekiel cereal (take EZ cereal, enough milk to cover it, microwave for a few minutes), with 1 cup organic frozen berries, and 1/2oz crushed nuts. Berries are a mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, and I also have a bag of pineapple, mango, strawberry and coconut. I’ll take some of everything and toss it in. Also have a mixed nut variety of almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts and pistachio. I’ll measure 1/2oz, then put it in the nut crusher and sprinkle over everything. Topped with Walden Farms maple syrup.

That ups my breakfast to about 550-600 cals, and I feel much more satisfied. I eat breakfast at 7am, and eat my second meal around 12. I used to feel pretty hungry between and wound up snacking a bit on nuts and various healthy things, but still cals that add up. Now with a bigger breakfast, I have no problem eating around 12-12:30.

I also am not doing scheduled cardio anymore, which adds more net calories to the day. Still in a slight deficit. If I feel like doing 15-20min after weights I will, but not in the plan. And no more HIIT.

Here’s a screenshot of my daily nutrition:

My average TDEE, without cardio, is about 2,200. I’ll typically eat on this plan M-TH, and Friday will be a free meal dinner with some halo top. Weekends have some wiggle room if there’s an event where there will be great food involved, I’ll work around it, train hard that day, eat a little lighter than normal before hand, and just enjoy myself without obsessing about it. It’s very manageable to sustain this with my bigger breakfast, and an easy way to stay lean while not feeling deprived at all.

I’ll weigh myself later this week and get some new pics up soon, but right now I’m at the point where I’m as lean as I can be without feeling like I’m on a prep, and I’m happy with my progress. Going to enjoy keeping it tight and not stressing about trying to lose anymore fat for now.

You are very welcome man, you’re asking great questions and I wish someone would have told me all this when I was your age! Practicing is of course the foundation of musicianship, but it’s still a small part of the puzzle.

In my opinion where you go to school does have a big impact on your future, but not necessarily for the resume factor when interviewing for a gig, and it depends on the career. For music education, it certainly makes a difference. When interviewing at a school for a job, certain universities have great reputations depending on their department. For example, in New Jersey, TCNJ (The College of New Jersey) has an outstanding education department and is known for putting out great educators. So, if you have TCNJ on your resume as an education candidate, it’s a leg up over other colleges and is more likely to get you an interview.

If you’re majoring in performance and go to audition to play somewhere, they won’t care where you went to school, just if you can play or not. If you major in composition and are trying to get a writing gig, they won’t care where you went to school, just if you can write or not. However if you go to a well known and respected program, chances are if an organization sees that on your resume, they’ll assume you’re probably pretty good, and better than another resume they might be looking at with a program they don’t recognize.

More importantly than the resume factor, is what you’ll learn there based on the faculty, programs and rescources. For example, if you’re looking to go into digital composition, or studio work, Fresno State or Berklee have outstanding, well known programs, state of the art equipment, etc. (There are certainly others, those are just off the top of my head.) More than the resume factor, will be what you learn there, and how you develop your skills and who is teaching you. If you go somewhere with a very well known and respected program, chances are you’re learning from the best of the best, which will make you very good at what you do, which will allow you to get more gigs. So, you wouldn’t go to one of those schools necessarily to say, “I went here,” and impress people, but to learn from outstanding professors who are the best in their field, giving you the tools to be one of the best in your field one day.

Largely, many folks won’t care as much where you studied, BUT, if you go to a highly respected and reputable program, realize they have a reputation for a reason, and you’ll probably receive a better education there than somewhere else. Additionally, when you go to a program where you’re learning from some of the best in the field, especially if you’re a great student, then you make good impressions on some very important people, which can lead to more and better gigs in the future, maybe even right out of school. You can usually nail an incredible internship if you go to a great program with well known professors and impress them.

So, don’t assume that a music composition degree or a similar degree at one place is equal to another. Technically on paper it is, but factor in who you’re learning from, the resources available to you and what connections you’ll be able to form there, and it can really set you up for success.

Cheers for another awesome answer! I don’t have much else to say because you’ve been such a huge help. Now I guess it’s just another year to figure out if I’m going to go through with this or not.

Good luck to you and your business, I’m sure you have more than earned it!

Happy new year! First post or 2018, can’t believe it’s been a year already since starting this contest log. Rather than starting a new thread, I’m just going to keep posting here with training, nutrition updates and such. Still not sure if I’m going to compete in the late spring/early summer, while I want to it’s looking increasingly like I won’t. Ultimately, after spending the better part of two years in a deficit, a year of living normally seems quite appealing.

Holiday season was very enjoyable. Had a ton of good food and somehow seem to be getting leaner. I haven’t weighed myself in two weeks or so, but I feel I look leaner than I did a few weeks ago, wife does too, and I’m a comfortable loop in on my lifting belt. In the mirror and at the gym I see better conditioning also, which could be from eating a higher carb level and filling out with more glycogen. But, overall very pleased with the current physique and training progress.

Weight wise I weighed in a couple weeks ago and was 160. I was guessing by mirror that I was around 156-157 based on conditioning alone, so was pretty stoked to see 160, as some anecdotal evidence that I’ve successfully put on some LBM since last year. I’d certainly hope so as I went from 140-165 after the show I’ve the course of 5 months!

I’ve also increased sodium pretty significantly and it has really helped with getting a pump in the gym, and overall mood. I naturally like a lot of salt on my food, I use iodized sea salt. During my prep I had a time when I dialed back sodium and just didn’t feel right, kind of hazy, generally not as motivated as usual. I don’t know think I have any thyroid issues, but I do suspect at the end of my prep it might not have been functioning optimally. Anyway, since increasing sodium a bunch a week ago, I feel great, consistently get a better pump in the gym and have more visible vascularity.

Training wise strength has been improving slowly and I started adding in some exercises I haven’t done in a while. Last week I added back squats back in to my leg day, I havent squatted in months as they were bothering my hips. After no hip issues for a while, I’m squatting again, just really focusing on performance, and always stopping with a few left in the tank. I am squatting primarily because I think it’s a exercise that engages the full body, and will be beneficial to me, provided I don’t go too heavy to aggravate my hips, or consistently get too close to failure as I used to. Last week and this week I did a couple sets of 10, then a set of 8, set of 5 and two sets of 3. The sets of 5 and 3 allow me to add more weight to the bar but I still stop with a couple left in the tank. Strength has improved quickly, pretty solid for having not squatted in a few months. Two days ago I got:
225x10, 255x10, 285x8, 315x5, 335x3. All reps slow and controlled.

Also added rack pulls back in to back day. Similar with squats, stop with a couple reps in the tank.

I forgot how much I enjoy some heavy compound movements and am loving getting these exercises back in.

Here are some pics from today, I haven’t weighed myself in a couple weeks but since I was 160 last time, I’m guessing I’m around the same. Hard to say, while I’ve really been enjoying the holidays without going overboard, I’ve seemingly been getting leaner. So, 160 give or take a few pounds.

I think I’ll weigh myself on Wednesday or Thursday just to see where I’m at. Place your bets!

Also, quick shoutout to @EyeDentist, thank you very much for your kind words in the posts which you’ve tagged me!

How Do You Increase Appetite? Supplements/Strategies?

Awesome work there Rob!

@j4gga2 thank you very much man! I hope your training, and musicking, are going well :slight_smile:

Been trying some very slow negatives over the past week and I am definitely feeling more sore than I have in a long time.

When I make adjustments to my training, I generally change small factors. The principles stay the same, like a 5 day split, focusing on one body part per day, but exercises might be rotated/switched, sequencing, tempo, finishers, etc. So, the past week I’ve been playing with 3-4 second negatives. My negatives are always controlled, but I don’t count them, just focus on using the desired muscle. Even though I’m always very focused during training, I haven’t felt a big “pump” or “burn” in a while, so thought some slower-than-usual negatives might be fun for a bit. Just a couple sets in and the pump is pretty serious, most weights have to go down 5-10% to get 8-12 reps. I’ll do 3-4 second negatives for the first couple sets of an exercise, and on the last one or two sets, I’ll do 3-4 second negatives for the first few reps, then a faster tempo for the rest of the set, and after than I’m pretty toasted. I’ve been significantly sore the past week, so hopefully a good sign of some new growth occurring. I’m not purposefully trying to wreck myself or induce more DOMS, but the change of tempo definitely has been getting a great pump and hopefully will bring some more gains.

Still haven’t weighed myself in a bit, but everything is fitting the same, still looking tight for the off season so right now I’m in maintenance mode.

Back is still sore from Tuesday! My lats have never been as sore as they have been this week, a direct soreness targeted right in the lats. I started Tuesday’s workout with lat pulldowns on a medium width, neutral grip handle, and continued with my very slow negatives. I flexed the lats as hard as I could on the way up for a slow 3-4 seconds each time. After that I did a plate-loaded late pullover machine with the same tempo, and I think that was what did it. Loving feeling such a targeted pump!

Shoulders on Wednesday was great also, continued with the same tempos and got a great pump. A new exercise I tried out of necessity for rear delts as the rear pec-deck was taken, I went to a cable station and got an attachment of a single rope. I brought the cable up to shoulder height, faced 90 degrees away and straightened my arm, and simulated a rear pec-deck movement with the rope, one arm at a time. Didn’t take a lot of weight, and WOW did it target the rear delts. They were toasted afterwards, so when I went to the rear pec-deck after that exercises my rear delts were pumped, hurt so good. Finished out with some 6 point dumbbell raises, haven’t felt pain like that in a while (the good kind).

Legs today, and Friday, which means a tasty dinner and some halo top, although lately I’ve been digging on the “Enlightened” brand because the flavors are great and there are more toppings. Triple chocolate and chocolate cherry are a favorite, and strawberry cheesecake when I can find it.

Something totally different, I have an interview Tuesday for a 6 week Crossfit Transformation Program. You heard that right.

Why? How? WELL, I was scrolling through Facebook and there’s a Crossfit gym about 20min from my house running a promotion, accepting applications for a 6 week “transformation” where you come to their gym and go through their workouts, custom nutrition plan, the whole deal. It doesn’t cost anything, and they take before/after pics, body fat measurements, etc., and use you as advertising. The promo was really well put together and professional, and after checking out the gym website and owner’s background, it seemed intriguing. While I’ve never been into Crossfit, it would be a new challenge to get my ass kicked for 6 weeks with something new, shed some off season fat and see what happens when a bodybuilder tries Crossfit.

I filled out an application, and based on my application, got a call for an interview on Tuesday. It seems like they’re screening applicants carefully because they want to be sure all applicants will finish the program and commit to the training and nutrition. It’s open to folks of all backgrounds, so I’m assuming there will be a variety of people involved. I’m hoping my background will be appealing enough for them to accept me, I have no doubt it would kick my butt, would improve my performance, and I’d learn a lot. Not something I’d intentionally pay to do, but given the circumstances, I’ll give it a go if they’ll have me. I’ll post an update on Tuesday!

Crossfit? You mean like this??

That’ll be one hell of a transformation, dude! Jokes aside, good luck!

Interested to see how it goes man!

Two thoughts (and you know I love ya brother):

1-might be fun, so cool, enjoy.

2- you’ll end up doing a bunch of high intensity cardio training (Crossfit),throughout the week combined with a diet that will allow you to make a “dramatic 6 week transformation” that endorses their buiness but probably risks more muscle loss than a well planned contest prep but it won’t matter because you’re coming in with more muscle than the average person off the street :wink:
Ideally great advertising.

S

Lol yeah I anticipated that, and plan on addressing that on Tuesday. I know it’s basically an hour long HIIT session, and while I’m not opposed to trying something new, muscle retention is a priority. Im interested to hear what they have in mind as I am probably not a typical candidate for them, so we’ll see how it plays out once I get more details. I’m definitely interested in the opportunity but not attached to it, and as I know how to get lean, and am already happy with my current conditioning, I’m not willing to sacrifice any LBM.