Rob's 2017 Contest Prep Thread

Proud husband and coach post with a real quick update on my wife’s prep! Her 20 week prep was going very smoothly for the first 11 weeks or so, we stayed ahead of the potential stalls and made adjustments as we went along. The past two weeks momentum has slowed slightly, she’s already doing cardio 7 days a week and cals are fairly low, don’t want to dip much lower. So, we went keto over the weekend, keeping total cals the same but adjusted her macros. I did give her carbs before her HIIT workout only so she could have a great interval session and burn more fat in the long run. After two days of keto, we gave her the usual Monday re-feed, and yesterday made some slight adjustments to her medium day. Today she wakes up 1.5 pounds lighter with veins in her abs! Woo!

We’re going to continue on with carb cycling now, but have taken out all incidental carbs and traded those meals for keto style meals (all protein and fat, no incidental carbs. An example would be switching out cottage cheese for pepperoni and cheese.) She’ll still have ezekiel bread with breakfast, and Finibars pre-workout as usual. She’s 8 weeks out and is digging in harder than ever. The beginnings of suffering are kicking in and she’s handling it like a champ.

4 Likes

149.4lbs - 16 weeks out from first show, 22 weeks out from Hercules.

Woke up a half pound down today, total of 1.4lbs loss this week, so safe to say things are on the right track and we’re sticking with our current numbers for the foreseeable future. Made some nutritional adjustments with macros to make sure I’ll continue utilizing carbs well, so far it seems to be working!

Today’s session is a low day HIIT day, digging in hard with low carbs and cals so my body is ready to soak up those carbs for my re-feed tomorrow.

6 Likes

16 weeks out?! You must be way ahead of schedule?

How are your quads coming along?

1 Like

I’ve had to stop showing the lady your posts because I’m scarred she’ll leave me for you. And I wouldn’t be able to blame her…that’s a damn good shot.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Sometimes it feels like we are, but truthfully though it feels more like we’re on schedule than ahead of schedule. I want to leave no question that I’ll reach the level of conditioning needed to bring my best. Last year, it became clear that my body does not respond well to the stress caused by constant cardio and low cals, my legs get very inflamed and fat burning slows to a crawl. So, this year my goal is to taper out cardio completely within 3 weeks of the first show, starting to taper cardio 6 weeks out, slowly and evenly, until we get to 3 weeks out when I won’t be doing ANY cardio (HIIT or LISS) but will continue training legs until a week out as usual. I believe that this will be the key for me reaching optimal conditioning from head to toe. However (and this is a big one!) I think the only way that we’ll be able to taper out cardio, and have it be effective, is if I’m pretty much at stage conditioning by the time we start to cut it out, which is anywhere from 10-13 weeks away from the first show. Then we can use nutrition to manipulate through the rest of the prep. So, in my mind that cuts the time a little bit.

As usual they’re behind my upper body, but they’re getting there:

This shot from a couple days ago seems to show a decent hamstring line coming in:

2 Likes

Thank you very much bro, I really appreciate that! Hope all is well man, send me that email again if you get a chance!

I like to send rob progress pics of other competitors we know are doing the same show. Then We make the always expected Rocky IV jokes (Drago!!!)

S

2 Likes

That’s crazy how disproportionally lean your upper body is comparatively.

Since I don’t plan on competing in BB, I sure hope I have a similar situation: appearance of 7% BF above the waist and 12% below. haha

Do you think you could maintain your current level of leanness year around? Or are you beyond that point?

Yeah, my legs are always a few weeks behind my upper body. Everyone’s a little different in that aspect, I know @BrickHead’s quads were stage ready ready weeks ahead of his upper body, ultimately he came in rock hard head to toe and nabbed a well deserved pro card. I’ll do whatever it takes to get there!

I know no cardio will be key. My legs always look tightest first thing in the AM and get inflamed by cardio. Again everyone is different here, comparing @BrickHead his legs would get tighter after cardio, I remember @The_Mighty_Stu saying his legs would be inflamed and smooth out a bit after leg training. I remember last year waking up, checking the legs out and seeing them tighter than ever, go down to the basement for an hour of cardio, check them out again and they’re all smoothed out. Just another reason to push and be ahead of the game.

I believe I could maintain this in the off season if I really wanted to, but this is the leanest I could do it, and honestly it would take so much restriction with the calories I’m not sure I’d want to. Right now my cals are fairly low with a good amount of cardio. Off season I avoid cardio as much as possible, meaning I’d have to eat my current cals without cardio, and no more. I could make it work, but it would take careful planning and I’d really have to make sure to plan ahead for anything out of the ordinary nutritionally. Currently I’m 150, I think maintaining 154-155 is more feasible, and enjoyable. Additionally, hoping the planets align and I nab a pro card, after the mandatory pro debut within a year, I’d probably take a solid year off of competing and try to pack on some serious LBM. Prepping 6-7 months out of the year for two years in a row is pretty taxing, so I’d probably shoot for the 154-155 range but no more, and make sure conditioning stays tight. That would still put me within 10-15lbs of stage weight and be no problem to maintain.

1 Like

Great response, thanks for the detail.

I’d ideally like to find a level of leanness where I look good, but can still enjoy a pint of Ben and Jerry’s on the weekend.

2 Likes

Re-feed dinner, worth every rep.

5 Likes

Yesterday’s leg session felt solid, one of those days where it started out a little rough but after some warm ups, really got going. Took advantage of it and tried to improve my squat numbers a little from last week:
-270x10, 300x10, 320x10, 340x8, 370x8 (had a spotter to help with the last couple reps of 370, I wouldn’t have tried it if he wasn’t there.)
I was dragging before getting to the gym, had a big coffee with a shot of espresso. Typically I just do coffee as my “pre-workout”, sometimes though that extra shot really does the trick.

Today is a medium arms-only day (no cardio), tomorrow is LISS only, low day. After some very solid results from doing “keto weekends” with my wife, we changed my Sunday to a keto style low day since I’m only doing LISS and not weight training. We didn’t change calories, only macros, so I’ll burn more fat and will be able to better utilize carbs throughout the week. Keto is rough if that’s the plan every day, but one a day week is totally manageable, and kind of a fun break from the usual to eat lots of whole eggs, bacon, cheese and pepperoni and such for a day.

2 Likes

One week apart, some progress pics from last week’s Sunday posing session in the studio at the gym, upper body looks a little tighter but legs are certainly coming in more, quads, hams and calves all look a little tighter (still a long way to go). They’re still very hairy which also hides some detail, I’ll start trimming once February rolls around. Interesting to note that while I did lose 1.4 pounds over the week, and I’m looking leaner, my weight is actually higher in the pics on the right (152lbs on the left, 152.4lbs on the right.)

At this point I really have to rely on the mirror and weekly pics to gauge most of my progress. I have to remember that while I’m officially in week 4 of “lockdown mode”, I’ve been cutting since October when I was back to up 165, so I’ve been dieting for ~12-13 weeks and have lost over 16 pounds already. At this point scale movement won’t be super consistent and linear, and we learned from last year I can maintain a scale weight but recomp fairly significantly. We still need to lose more scale weight for sure, but right now we are primarily concerned with progress pics and gym performance as indicators of success. We’ve discussed the possibility that we might be able to keep calories where they are and screw with macros a bit to keep recomping and I might not lose much more scale weight at all, until the show starts approaching and we really dig in. Right now fortunately we have enough time to keep going slow and steady and evaluate the pics. Still working on bringing up arms, Stu made some adjustments to my bicep training sequencing and I felt a great pump during biceps this week.

One aspect I’ve been talking about with the clients I’m training for their upcoming shows, and the ones just cutting up for summer, is the slow and steady nature of the contest prep/diet, and I have to remind myself of this as well. It’s certainly a much easier mental journey this year having been through it already, but I still find myself getting caught up in the “why aren’t I shredded NOW?!” mentality once in a while, and I have to keep it in check. We diet hard, do tons of cardio, don’t eat ONE THING not on the plan, deal with the hunger and brain fog to HOPEFULLY lose a pound a week, it doesn’t happen overnight. Reminding myself of that helps keep it all in perspective and not get caught up in wanting immediate results. The journey to the stage lasts months (and years cumulatively), and while I’m always focused on the end goal and keeping my eye on the prize, I can’t let myself get too caught up on the destination of being shredded for a short while and being on stage for 15 minutes, the journey is where the real work is done, mentally and physically.

6 Likes

Getting ready for the gym with my usual pre-workout ritual of Micro-PA, Indigo-3G, a big 'ol coffee with stevia and cinnamon, and shortly I’ll get to eat my Finibar, half a Lenny and Larry cookie, and Metabolic Drive protein shake. I really enjoy my pre-workout routine, I’ll either relax and read or get an update in here.

Today is a medium day, back and biceps with 30min LISS post workout. Last year I did all my cardio in the AM, then eventually added cardio post workout. This year, I’m not doing ANY fasted cardio, and so far all my cardio is post workout. I’m already at the gym and don’t mind doing it, plus with my intra-workout cocktail and Micro-PA, I’m not worried about muscle loss.

Recently I read a book called “Living With A Seal,” by Jesse Itzler, the brief rundown is Itzler is a rich entrepreneur who owns a few different companies and does some eccentric stuff, and he hires a navy SEAL (David Goggins, one of the most fit ultra-athletes in the world, you can google him) to live with him for a month, train him, overhaul his mentality and life basically. Itzler is already a marathon runner and fancies himself in shape, and when “SEAL” shows up, his world is rocked. SEAL’s conditions are that Itzler has to do whatever SEAL says, and nothing is off limits. Throughout the book, you find that SEAL is a complete and total badass machine who will destroy anything in his way, always. Reading about SEAL’s mentality and what he’s able to put himself through has really helped my outlook, and ability to push through the mental and physical stress of the whole process. I highly recommend it!

My wife’s show is 7.5 weeks out, I’m debating hopping on stage as a warm up if I look dialed in enough. It’s not going to be a huge show, and would provide some good opportunities. Typically for a peak week we stop cardio and leg training; by the time her show rolls around I will have been dieting and doing cardio for about 20 weeks, so it’ll be a good break from that and provide a little recovery. Additionally, the keto depletion diet should bring a little extra fat loss, and the post show burger 'n fries would be a nice re-feed, and a good boost into the next 8 weeks before my first booked show on May 13th. It’ll also be a good opportunity to practice my carb load and continue to refine when we start it, how many carbs I get, carb sources, etc. Once it’s 3-4 weeks out, we’ll evaluate and see what we think. And speaking of her show, she is really getting tight. We just finished a 5 day keto diet to really dig in and get some fat loss going, then had a large re-feed yesterday, she was looking great this morning and we’re right on track for her to make a great debut in physique and bodybuilding (she’s gonna do both.)

Time for some Finibars, cookie and chocolate milk before the gym!

2 Likes

When I was in the midst of competing I actually picked up several books on sports psychology and maintaining a winning mindset. While my undergrad work was in psychology it hadn’t occurred to me to try and apply any of the knowledge towards winning bodybuilding contests before -lol.

Obviously anyone who undergoes such a rigorous and extended commitment can benefit from such strategies.

S

1 Like

It’s none of my business, but I hope you won’t mind if I share my thoughts anyway…Have you considered how it might make your wife feel if you decide to ‘hop in’ to what has been (up to this point) ‘her’ show? Obviously I don’t know her, but speaking in generalities, I could see someone (male or female) feeling a little resentful of their more-accomplished spouse for jumping in at the last minute–like the spouse was ‘stealing their thunder.’ Also, if you decide to compete, you’re going to have to focus on prepping yourself, which will detract at least somewhat from your ability to be 100% there for her during what you know (from painful experience) is going to be a very rough last week or two.

Forgive me if this seemed intrusive or over-the-line. I mean no disrespect to you, your wife or your marriage.

2 Likes

@EyeDentist - All good man, not out of bounds at all and we both really appreciate your thoughts! I definitely considered this initially and we’ve been talking about it for a few weeks now as a possibility, I wanted to be sure that she was on board as the priority for the day is setting her up for success. She doesn’t feel that way at all in regards to it being “her show” or me taking away any lime light, she’s very supportive of the idea and thinks it would be awesome for both of us to be on stage at the same show. To quote her, if I was “competing against her” it would be a different story, lol, but she is excited about the idea of both of us competing at the same show and also thinks it would be a great warm up opportunity for me, plus we’d then get to eat our post show burger 'n fries together, which we’re both very excited about!

This is more my concern primarily for the show day itself, making sure she’s tanned up, calm, ready to go, etc., and not as much the last week or two leading into it. Leading into the show, of course we’ll be digging in for her the last few weeks, but especially with me working from home and being here all day, my prep and my ability to coach her hasn’t had any negative impacts on each other. I prep all her food, have dinner ready for her when she gets home from the gym, obsess over her nutrition/training, and since this would truly be a warm up for me, I won’t be “digging in” in the same manner she would, my plan would be to cruise into it following the same plan I’ve been on, utilizing our usual peak week protocol and taking the opportunity to tweak my carb up process. It’ll probably wind up being easier for me to help her into the show, as during peak week cardio comes to a halt and training time is cut down, so I’d have more time to make sure she’s good to go.

Show day logistics itself are the top priority, but I know from talking to @The_Mighty_Stu, he was coaching his wife and they both competed at the Hercules together with great success, Stu winning his pro card and I believe his wife won the novice. So, it can certainly be done, we can help each other with our dream tan, eat our rice cakes and Reese’s spread together, pump up together, and I’ll be attached at her hip all day, back stage, etc., except for when I’m on stage.

Still not a sure thing I’ll be doing it, but I’m confident it won’t be an issue. I’m going to talk with Stu more about it and get his thoughts based on doing the same show with his wife, my very top priority for that day is being there 100% for my lady. After reading your comment, we talked about it again last night, and she’s still very enthusiastic about both of us doing the same show, but wanted me to tell you she really appreciates your thoughts and consideration!

3 Likes

New low of 148.8 today, .6 down from last week and pretty much where I was on the scale at the END of my competitive season last year. Legs showed up today looking tight and the first hints of feathers in my quads. I wasn’t feeling well yesterday and slept in today, solid 9 hours of sleep which I know helped things tighten up. Last night was also the first night that I subbed my usual pre bed shake for some chocolate halo top ice cream with protein icing, must have been the ice cream!

Feeling great today, no doubt the extra sleep contributing there. Also, with waking up later, meal timing is shortened so I’m only going 3 hours between meals instead of 4, feels like I’m pigging out. Seeing the improvement of conditioning and scale weight today was certainly encouraging, knowing we are still progressing and will be able to keep on the current numbers.

1 Like

You sound like someone who has been married, successfully for quite some time, OR are reflecting on previous choices. haha, I read his comments and didn’t even think of this.

That’s pretty cool you and your wife do this together. My wife hates competition.

1 Like

We will celebrate our 28th anniversary this year. I’d say at least 14 of those years have been successful. :wink:

7 Likes