Rob's 2017 Contest Prep Thread

After carefully evaluating my progress pics this weekend with Stu, we’ve decided to be more aggressive. While I did have a new low on the scale last week, my quads showed minimal improvements. So, we made some adjustments, to macros and frequency of low/medium days, hoping that we can dig in a little more to ensure I can get better conditioning in my legs. Right now, while I certainly feel a pressure to get leaner for the show in 5 weeks, I still feel I’m close to where I need to be, and we still have some tricks up our sleeve and time is on our side. It’s important not to peak too early, because as hard as it is functioning right now, getting to 3-4% body fat too early isn’t a good thing, and at that point muscle loss can start being a factor. Gotta time the peak just right, and right now I feel like we’re in a good place for that. Gonna run these new numbers and rotation through next weekend, see what’s up, and take it from there.

One adjustment I made is now having all protein fat for breakfast, rather than egg whites and cream of rice. Breakfast is now 3 eggs, a chicken sausage and some veggies. I still need to be able to work throughout the day and write as much as possible, and I noticed that having carbs in the morning feels great for about an hour, and then I crash significantly and have a hard time literally doing anything. Having the fats in the morning keeps my blood sugar more stable, and even though I miss the carbs, I function better throughout the day. I also read some interesting research last year that I found again by Dr. Jacob Wilson, who states that studies showed eating a P+F breakfast compared to a P+C breakfast, even when total daily macros are the same, a P+F breakfast burns more fat throughout the day, he calls it “metabolic conditioning” or “metabolic flexibility.” I don’t think it’s one of those things you try for a few days and get ripped, but Dr. Wilson quite the credible guy, and it makes sense to me that keep carbs exclusively around the workout window will utilize them the best and burn more fat throughout the day. I’m hoping doing this for 5 weeks until the show will have a good cumulative effect, it certainly helps me feel better. Fingers crossed.

I now get my daily carbs in my pre and post workout meals. Pre workout meal is still cream of rice mixed with some Metabolic Drive protein and a Finibar, post workout is chicken, veggies and ezekiel bread. I switched to ezekiel bread post workout because I do want some carbs there, and it helps with nighttime hunger, but the fiber content as well as the GI of the ezekiel bread will digest slower, hopefully keep me fuller longer, compared to cream of rice. These are things I would never think about in the off season or even earlier stages in the prep, but at this point, every detail comes into play.

4 Likes

I read this twenty times. Each time, I read ‘Cream of Ice’. Like it’s a fancy way to say ice cream Haha!

man… I want ice cream.

2 Likes

You and me both brother! Definitely going to have some on hand back at the house for after the show.

Hey Rob bit late here but congrats on the win looking great :slight_smile: I am with you on the protein and fat breakfast seem to get through the morning much easier than P+C which I also seem to crash.
Followed this article The Simple Carb Cycling Diet when trying to lean up seemed pretty easy to follow eating carbs mainly after training… Good luck with your next comp.

1 Like

@ostij thank you very much!

4 weeks 4 days out, 142lbs.

Last night was rough, couldn’t fall asleep until 3am. Sleep has been getting worse progressively, some it affects more than others. My wife slept like a rock throughout her entire prep, but I know @BrickHead suffered the same sleep issues I’m having. The days when things are busy and moving it’s easier to stay distracted, but there’s nothing like being starving and wide awake at 2am to test the will. Gotta keep pushing!

Today is a medium day, back and biceps.

3 Likes

Definitely see the quads starting to tighten up a bit since Gamblers! Still got 4 weeks left to kill it and come in like a freak! Looking forward to feasting on rice cakes in the near future with my favorite dude to tag team shows with…Round 2 coming on up baby

1 Like

I hate to bang the Poliquin drum but that’s something he has consistently advocated for years. And as far as I am aware, Vince Gironda did the same before then. Gironda claimed the classic steak and eggs breakfast kept blood sugar levels at a decent level for six hours.

Looking good mate, dig in. Five weeks is nothing to you. As always, I will follow your progress with avid interest.

JB

1 Like

@joshbenjamin thanks man! Can’t wait to hit the show together, gonna be a good day for the wolf pack.

@JamesBrawn007 Thank you very much! You’re totally right about Poliquin and Gironda, I initially heard about the Dr. Wilson research on a podcast with Ben Pakulski, who he works closely with. Steak and eggs…mmm…might be in order the morning after the show!

“Pot pie” medium day dinner, made me feel normal again for a solid hour afterwards, which is always a blessing at this point.
-2 servings cream of rice
-6oz chicken salad (chicken breast and veggies in the vitamix)
-salt, garlic, sugar free BBQ sauce
Mix it all together, taste just like pot pie. Very thick and heavy, but digests easily without bloating.

Also tried a new spin on my pre workout meal today. On my medium days I get a little nut butter in my pre workout meal, I made it up yesterday, consisting of two servings cream of rice, Metabolic Drive chocolate protein, and buff bake birthday cake almond butter. Put it in the fridge and had it cold, tasted just like chocolate birthday cake rice pudding. Also topped with one serving of fat free reddi-whip (5 cals no sugars.) Absolutely awesome.

The Metabolic Drive protein is simply the best I’ve ever had; the taste, combined with the thickness, can’t be beat. It’s also great to make cold oats with, which I do sometimes in the off season, but oats bloat me bad so during the prep I find cream of rice is perfect.

My low days are down to 80g carbs, medium days are 160g carbs. We’re cycling two lows and medium, so today’s medium day felt pretty good. I also notice doing the cream of rice with Metabolic Drive, compared to just Finibars, takes longer to digest. So, today I waited an hour after my meal to start training, felt great in the gym.

Tomorrow is back to low days, LISS in the morning, followed by shoulders, triceps and calves in the afternoon with more LISS after weights.

Hoping for better sleep tonight.

4 Likes

The sleep issue sounds less than ideal, hope that gets better for you. Get a cup of horlicks down you if it fits your macros :grin:

Hard to see where the improvements are gonna come from compared to your last show, I’m sure that’s my untrained eye!

Keep killing it.

4 Likes

The prep is turning you into quite the little innovative chef (well maybe you already were before)! We are going to start seeing a few “Tip” articles authored by Robstein soon for some awesome meal tips/recipes!

1 Like

@kd13 - yeah the sleep thing is rough, I’ve come to terms with it and just hope for the best every night. Fortunately I can sleep in a little bit right now since I work from home and adjust my schedule as needed, so not as bad as having to wake up at 4:30 for cardio as I did last year.

I do think my conditioning is in a good place right now for 4.5 weeks out, quads are definitely the focus. Overall it’s an issue of looking “harder” “tighter” “drier”, all achieved by just being leaner. Here’s a good example, Brian Whitacre, one of the best naturals in the world, multi time WNBF world champ.

Noticing the deep cuts in the quads and the “hard” look he always achieves because he’s so lean, that’s what I’m trying to get closer to. Obviously he’s been competing longer than I’ve been training, lol, but if I can get closer to that, I’ll be a happy man.

@littlesleeper lol thanks man! You are correct that prepping has MOST DEFINITELY increased my culinary skills. Eating the same meals, and so few of them, every meal becomes really important and I want to do everything I can to enjoy it, and feel as full as possible, while still staying within the confines of calories and macros and such. I never feel “full” or “stuffed” on a prep, but whatever I can do to feel satisfied and not starving is always a good thing. On that note, today’s breakfast, eggs and “chicken sausage hash” as I call it:

-3 farm raised eggs
-1 chicken sausage
-veggies, consisting of diced peppers and onions, “salad toppers” which are just shredded raw broccoli and carrots, sprouts and wilted spinach. Little sugar free BBQ sauce.

2 Likes

looks really good!

1 Like

Preworkout meal on low days. Cream of rice, Metabolic Drive, little fat free reddi whip and sugar free jello.

1 Like

Those eggs look solid, I’m gonna steal that meal idea. Looking crazy by the way.

1 Like

4 weeks 2 days out, 141.2 lbs, first thing AM. I have to keep reminding myself that while I constantly feel I’m looking flat, I have very little glycogen in my muscles, and will fill out nicely after a big carb up as I did for the last show.

Yesterday I believe overall was the toughest day of the prep. Coffee intake was about 5 cups throughout the day. By the time I was done weights and finished my 30 minutes of cardio, I felt more than out of it, BUT, that let’s ya know it’s working. Slept surprisingly well, woke up what I feel is the tightest I’ve been so far, it can really be seen in the glutes and quads. Yesterday in the gym my upper body was also showing new lines and vascularity.

I think our new rotation is working out, and hopefully will continue the progress. As rough as it can be sometimes, those instances where you feel the worst are typically when you’re making the most progress, and right now I am so focused on getting to the final level of conditioning, it just gives me more motivation to push through those times.

Today is another low day, HIIT today, medium day tomorrow. Next scheduled refeed is Monday. For now, get your shovels out because there’s 3 weeks and 2 days left to dig and make it happen.

5 Likes

I’ve followed your prep both years Rob, and you are blowing your last prep out of the water judging by these pictures.

You’re gonna turn some fking heads man.

2 Likes

@beastcoast58 Thank you very much, I really appreciate that man. Good bump of motivation during this last stretch, thanks for following along dude.

Another low HIIT day in the books! This new rotation is definitely working, and definitely the hardest thing I’ve ever done. The hunger, lack of energy, is constant now, haven’t really had any periods of feeling “normal” all week except for about an hour after my last medium day dinner. BUT, as I’m trying to get leaner than I ever have before, I need to suffer more than I ever have before, do things I’ve never done before. I know these past posts have been a lot of talking about the tough aspects of this last stretch, but it helps to get it out there. I strive to give a realistic view of what it’s like to be a competitive bodybuilder, this is what it’s like towards the end.

Talking to other competitors definitely helps, and fortunately I’ve developed some great friendships these past two years of folks who have been there, succeeded and make a great sounding board. When times are tough, it helps to reach out to them. I also look at pictures of great competitors, watch last year’s prejudging videos and pictures, and just envision the physique I want to present in 4 weeks. And of course, lots of great folks following along on here is very encouraging!

Time for the last meal of the evening, usually I do “protein pudding” consisting of 40g almond butter mixed with Metabolic Drive protein, using a little hot water to put it all together. Tonight, I’m going to try a slightly new variation, make the protein icing out of protein and hot water, then mix 40g worth of roasted salted almonds into it. I’m thinking chewing on the whole almonds will make me feel more full than the almond butter. Ah, the ridiculous things we try to make any small difference.

Tomorrow is a medium day, with the usual morning LISS, then legs and more LISS in the afternoon. Working for that refeed on Monday! Of course the day before, Sunday, we’re going to my parents for Passover, and I will watch them eat delicious Jew-food while I nosh on my chicken and veggies. That’s alright, they can eat their Passover dinner, victory and trophies are sweeter than anything that’ll be on the table!

5 Likes