Rob's 2017 Contest Prep Thread

Thank you very much bro! 6 weeks from today!

1 Like

Today is a medium 1800cal day, knocked out my 20min LISS this morning, later today is arms, calves and 20min LISS post weights.

Iā€™ve never checked my body fat on a prep, ultimately because it doesnā€™t matter, all that matters is what the conditioning looks like. But, Iā€™ve had a lot of ā€œwhat body fat are you at right nowā€ by friends, family and people at the gym, and I thought it might be a good idea to be able to give them an answer, and to know for myself. Using body fat calipers and the manual they came with, for the Jackson/Pollock method of measuring 3 spots (this method is recommended for leaner folks, compared to the Durnin/Womersly method of 4 spots), hereā€™s what I got:
Chest - 5mm
Abdomen - 6mm
Thigh - 9mm
Total: 20mm

According to the chart in the book, that puts me at 6.5% body fat. Iā€™m glad I took the measurements, realizing Iā€™m that low confirms I donā€™t have much more, if any, scale weight to lose, maybe a pound or two. So, at this point, really going to keep an eye on the mirror and progress pics. Still gotta weigh in daily, but I think weā€™re past the point that weā€™ll be losing 1-2lbs a week. Keeping the eyes on the quads!

2 Likes

5 weeks and 5 days out, woke up at a very tight 142 this morning. Weā€™re now back to the same nutrition and cardio plan I was doing for the 4 weeks leading up to the first show, and feel confident that all we need now is time to let it happen. With 5 weeks until peak week, Iā€™m hoping with 2-3 weeks of digging Iā€™ll get there, and then we can hopefully dial back cardio and maybe add some cals/carbs in leading up to the show. For now, itā€™s one week at a time.

This weekend was the roughest of the prep. Saturdayā€™s gig got me home at 3am, having to wake up at 7am on Sunday. Even though I was physically exhausted, I was wide awake all night and got almost no sleep. Up at 7 for cardio in the basement, slammed my Finibars and off to the gym for HIIT. In full on zombie mode from the gym and no sleep, we went to my best friendā€™s baby shower, which was of course, at an amazing micro-brewery with open bar, incredible food and desserts. I ate my meal in the car right before we got out so I didnā€™t have to bring the cooler in with me, figuring weā€™d be there for about 3 hours so Iā€™d eat again when we left. Typically Iā€™m fine watching people eat that kind of stuff on a prep, but I think the combination of no sleep and beat from HIIT, plus a 1700 calorie low day, it was pretty rough being around unlimited burgers, fries, sandwiches, drinks and desserts, talking with friends while theyā€™re digging in and Iā€™m sipping on water. But, itā€™s part of the process, itā€™s only temporary, and those moments are the ones Iā€™ll remember on stage knowing I earned my place up there.

Got my cardio done this morning, this afternoon is chest, quads, hams and LISS.

6 Likes

Brutally strong will power. Two thumbs up from the peanut gallery.

3 Likes

@robstein have hunger pains ever gotten really bad? Ever gotten light headed?

1 Like

@lucaslion hunger pains actually arenā€™t much of an issue. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s because maybe the stomach shrinks, or you just get used to the cals and meal timing doing the same thing every day for so long, but itā€™s not a pin point hunger pain. The only way I can describe it is kind of an instinctual need to eat, deep down in the soul. Brain fog sets in more, hard to concentrate, emotions are dulled. There is a definite sensation of hunger, but itā€™s not the same as in the off season when I havenā€™t eaten all day and I can feel actual pin pointed hunger pains. I have gotten light headed or a little shaky before if I go too long between meals, itā€™s only happened a very few times, definitely not a usual occurrence. Sometimes itā€™s out of your control and you just canā€™t eat at the exact time youā€™re supposed to. Iā€™ve never almost passed out or anything like that, as my coach says ā€œyou canā€™t compete if youā€™re deadā€ so you get used to the feeling of ā€œsufferingā€, and separating that from something really being wrong.

4 Likes

You are one of my biggest inspirations on this journey brother! You are busting your ass and it shows! I saw you at Minado and then at Gamblers and you were two different people. Killer mindset and we are getting ready for our final battle of 2017!

1 Like

Have you had anyone accuse you of not being Natty yet? Lol

2 Likes

@joshbenjamin thank you so much man, that really means a lot! Youā€™re doing a great job yourself man, letā€™s keep pushing the next five and a half weeks and bring our best to the Northeast!
-For anyone reading, Josh is the physique competitor who was at the Gamblerā€™s, one of @The_Mighty_Stu other guys who also won his class and pro card. Hell of a guy and we are both competing in the Northeast.

@MoreMuscle Lol only once on these forums by a troll. I donā€™t think Iā€™m big enough to get that accusation, although most people are surprised when I say Iā€™m 140lbs.

6 Likes

I have to bulk to hit 140! HA I love the guys who say ā€œIā€™m 220ā€ and look like dog shit meanwhile most of the impressive guys I have spoken to in the gym I thought were 200+ were always like 175 and I am certain stage level probably would still have to get down to 150s 160s.

4 Likes

Solid progress this week, tightening up in the quads and a new low of 140.2 today. Before depleting water/glycogen during peak week, my low was 141.6. I donā€™t count the weight during peak week because of the absence of water/glycogen, so another pound and a half down from the last show and still 5.5 weeks to go.

Made some nutritional adjustments this week that have been working out nicely, primarily subbing out all my carbs for cream of rice, except the Finibar pre-workout. My pre-workout meal is now a Finibar, and 1 serving of cream of rice mixed with some Metabolic Drive. I donā€™t do the cereal anymore, only because the cooked cream of rice adds more substance to whatever Iā€™m eating, takes longer to digest, keeps me fuller longer. Trying to keep my blood sugars as stable as possible all day to prevent excess dips in energy levels. I also shifted some things around and while keeping my total numbers the same am getting carbs with my post workout meal, which helps with evening hunger.

Definitely getting tighter and itā€™s very encouraging to see more progress this week. 5.5 weeks out, and since cardio stops during peak week, in my head I keep telling myself thereā€™s only 4 weeks to go. By that time the work is done, so itā€™s pretty accurate to say 4 weeks to keep digging and make it happen. Iā€™ve definitely had some ā€œwhy the hell am I doing thisā€ and ā€œhow am I going to keep goingā€ moments this week, which is when you know youā€™re doing it right. If youā€™re not thinking those thoughts as the show approaches, youā€™re not pushing hard enough. As Stu likes to remind me, those who look the best are typically the ones who can suffer the most. Iā€™m trying to get the best conditioning Iā€™ve ever had, so I need to be ready to suffer harder than I ever have. At those times, I just envision what I want to look like, how I want to feel on stage, dig in and make it happen. Itā€™s only temporary, and the hard digging now will ensure the goods are there on show day.

1700 cal low day HIIT day today, and my first high day in two weeks tomorrow. Gonna be a good day!

4 Likes

Dude I canā€™t describe how hungry I was going to sleep last night but Iā€™m sure you know the feeling and some! Post some pictures from that tasty high day! Much love brother this is the home stretch and youā€™ve earned every bit of what you have received from your dedication

1 Like

:slight_smile: S

2 Likes

Kosher! I dig it

2 Likes

HIGH DAY FRIDAY! First one in two weeks. Made solid progress this week on the previous cardio and nutrition regimen, quads are tightening up slowly but surely. For now weā€™re going to keep the same plan in place and hopefully things will keep moving along at the same pace.

350g carbs today, changing some things up, hereā€™s the menu for the day:

Meal 1 - Egg whites w/ ketchup, bagel w/ jelly

Meal 2 - 4oz chicken salad w/ pretzel nuggets and salsa (the hard crunchy kind). I love pretzels and have been craving them for a while now.

Meal 3 - Finibars and protein icing

Meal 4 - Chicken and gnocchi

Meal 5 - Bowl of chocolate sprouted rice puffs with chocolate protein milk

Gonna be a good day :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well earned! Enjoy while I have my 40 grams of carbs today :grinning:

1 Like

Happy for you man! Good to hear youā€™re still seeing progress, even though it is tough to imagine with the package you brought to the last competition!

Side note:
I admit that my wife puts ketchup on her eggs as well and I think it is gross. I get it though, because I put hot sauce on mine, so I guess it would be kind of the equivalent? Also, Iā€™m fortunate enough to LOVE eggs, I could eat them for every meal, every day and not get sick of themā€¦so if youā€™re not in the same boat, masking them with some ketchup likely helps to make it more palatable.

Keep up the grind, that stage if going to be yours!

1 Like

Thanks man! I am definitely happy with the package I brought to the Gamblerā€™s ANBF show, looking ahead to WNBF, I do need to tighten up these quads and just get tighter all around. In my mind I want it to be painfully obvious when I walk on stage that I came to get the job done, and hope everything works out.

I also love eggs, whole eggs and egg whites, eat 'em every day on and off season. Iā€™m not a ketchup fanatic, but I do love it on eggs, home fries and french fries. SPEAKING of home fries, theyā€™ll be on the menu the morning after the show no doubt. Some of my bodybuilding buddies are crashing at my place the weekend of the show, weā€™ll all go to breakfast the next morning at the local diner to celebrate my return to normalcy!

1 Like

What a great high day today, especially after not having one last week, I almost feel normal again after a massive plate of chicken breast, veggies and gnocchi. Other meals were fantastic, looking forward to protein cereal later tonight.

Leg workout was much better than last week, as a result of having trained legs hard last week so they were more ready today, as well as the extra carbs/cals. Squats felt good, Iā€™m not pushing tooooo hard because I am running out of lower back fat, am at the lowest bodyweight Iā€™ve ever been, and donā€™t want to risk injury.
250x10, 275x10, 295x10, 315x10. Business as usual after that with leg presses, single leg extensions, ham curls, hamtractor and RDLs.

Regarding the scale weight, itā€™s just crazy to me that Iā€™m down to 140lbs and still have more room to go. Last year I was 148 before peak week for my last show, and this year Stu and I set our sights on a very aggressive 143. Now that Iā€™m 140 and about 5-6% body fat, Iā€™m assuming thereā€™s not too much more to lose on the scale, but just the fact that I still have more progress to be made has been very eye opening to how lean one really has to be to be shredded from head to toe. Weā€™re in a good place, 5 weeks to keep pushing.

Non prep related, we recently started working with a financial planner to get our future secure, and especially now that Iā€™m self employed, it was time to get that stuff together. Heā€™s a big dude, and after conversing with him, it came up that he used be a powerlifter and bodybuilder! He showed me some pics of him on stage at 200lbs, incredible. Today, he sent me these in the mail, with a note saying he has a decent collection and thought Iā€™d enjoy them.

From the 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s! If I act now, I can order a chrome barbell set for $300!

Back to the normal medium day tomorrow of LISS in the morning, arms and calves and more LISS in the afternoon. Laser focused on this last stretch.

3 Likes

The dude in the bottom left looks like a jacked Dustin Hoffman.

4 Likes