Rob's 2017 Contest Prep Thread

PEAK WEEK DAY 4 - 140.8lbs

New low of 140.8, I’m guessing I’ll be 138-139 on Saturday. Definitely looking tighter today, but flat for sure. But, we know from experience this is because I have no glycogen in me at this point, and this is why we carb up TOMORROW! Can’t wait.

Yesterday not much to report, a repeat of the previous two days. Today is the same nutrition, but no training. Shaved most of the body yesterday, finishing up this morning, and tonight we put on the first layer of pro-tan. I’ll be sure to post a before and after of my pasty self.

At this point, the hard parts are over and we’re just in logistics getting ready for the show, and having this be my second season, I’m much more relaxed heading into the weekend, knowing what to expect. Tomorrow, the day before the show, will be carb loading, as well as more tanning. In the afternoon we have a quick pump workout just to help shuttle those delicious carbs into the muscles and fill out. We have our checklist already and will be packing everything up so Saturday morning we can just roll out.

Saturday, show day, we’re leaving at 8am to arrive at the show site by 10am. The show doesn’t start until 2, but we have our polygraphs starting at 10, and my wife is getting spray tanned/hair/make up done at 10:30. I’ll be laying on the floor with my feet up, relaxing and just staying focused, until the rest of the crew arrives around noon, then we’ll apply my dream-tan. Competitor meeting at 1:15, then at 2 we’re off and running.

This show is typically a small one, so it may only last a few hours. Looking at previous year’s results, the turnouts vary every year. Two years ago there were a good amount of bodybuilding competitors, last year there weren’t many. It’s an ANBF show, there need to be 5 competitors in a class to earn a pro-card if you win. If there are less than 5 competitors though, the judges can check on “pro card” box on the sheet if they think the winner deserves one. As I’ve already mentioned I’m not trying to get too wrapped up in the competitive part, but I certainly am hunting for a pro-card this year, and regardless of the amount of competitors on stage, the work I’ve done to get there is the same, and has been my very best. I’m so pumped to finally get to the show after being so laser focused on it since stepping off stage last June. We’ve left nothing to chance, even in the off season, and regardless of the turnout Saturday, I’m ready to throw down.

7 Likes

You got this man. The Robsteins are taking this competition down!

If that is what you look like flat and untanned, your on-stage package will be on point. Good luck, and looking forward to the updates on show day!

2 Likes

What a great peak week! In non-bodybuilding news, I just got the confirmation that I’ll be arranging the half-time show again for the Baltimore Ravens. They have a large marching band, the biggest music organization associated with the NFL, that performs all of their home games, as well as local performances, parades, etc. Last year I got to arrange their half time show and it was such a blast, went to game and got the VIP treatment. Excited to be doing it again!

9 Likes

Show day food ready to go. Priorities, first bag I packed.

1 Like

aahhhh anabolic jellybeans -lol.

I remember eating a giant tupperware full of 'em backstage in 2011 and another competitor being so baffled, asking me what the hell I was doing. I smiled, realized he probably wasn’t enjoying his game day carb up as much as I was, and replied “planning to win” :smiley:

S

4 Likes

CARB UP DAY! First thing in the AM after 1 layer of Pro-Tan yesterday, 140lbs even.

The Pro-Tan gets darker as it settles, my amazing wife put 1 layer on last night, she’s a pro-tanner with the pro-tan. Today we’re putting on 3 additional layers throughout the day.

BREAKFAST - egg whites with a little ketchup, 2 bananas, 2TBSP reese’s spread.

My wife Katie about to dig in on egg whites with ketchup and a cup of cinnamon toast crunch after bring on keto for 5 WEEKS. She looks incredible and I can’t wait to see her all tanned up tomorrow, she’s getting spray tanned at the show site. Yes, we eat most of our food with baby spoons during the prep, everything lasts longer that way. “Secrets of the pros” as @The_Mighty_Stu likes to say.

Going to be a busy day today I’ll try to update as much as possible. We have 3 more tanning session, packing, gotta get to the gym after meal 3 for a quick pump workout. Tomorrow I’ll update in the AM and then Stu will probably be giving most of the updates throughout the day, and I’ll be sure to post by Sunday with the final run down! Thanks as always for the support!

9 Likes

good luck, mate!

1 Like

Looking like a winner Robostein!

1 Like

Have a good showing tomorrow Rob, I predict good things

2 Likes

@Yogi1, @The_Myth, @Lonnie123 thank you so much guys!

All the carbs for the day have been eaten, had a great pump workout, tanning, packing, all done, waking up to a breakfast of a chocolate rice cake with Reese’s spread and a banana, then hitting the road.

I’ve never been this lean before so I haven’t really been able to see the benefits of a properly executed peak week, but by the end of the night I could notice I am definitely more filled out. Little bloated from the 3 gallons of water, but I’m sure by the time the morning comes, after waking up multiple times in the night to use the bathroom as usual, everything will have culminated in a full, tight package. Going to keep the carbs pumping tomorrow, and have the usual pre-stage pump up food, very excited to see how it all turns out.

4 Likes

You’re going to nail this my friend! PS that pic of all the goodies almost sent me into a diabetic coma! Think I want to be a competitive bodybuilder if that pot of carb gold is at the end of the diet rainbow! Good luck mate.

1 Like

SHOW DAY! 141lbs.

Carb up looks like it did me right. Gonna stay topped off today, I’m on first in the show but we have plenty of time until 2:00 to fill out a little more. If this is right out of bed with no food or pump, I think it should all come together well! Hoping for the best today, no matter what happens competitively I’ve been working towards improving myself since stepping off the stage last year and it’s going to be a great day. Ready to rock today! Let’s go!

11 Likes

You look incredible, go kill it today. Enjoy!

1 Like

S

4 Likes

You’re totally going to kick ass and take names, Rob!!! Can’t wait to see the pump on stage, man!

1 Like

Yahoo! Yes, useless comment. But I’m excited!

1 Like

Calm before the storm -lol

S

4 Likes

S

3 Likes

S

4 Likes

“Oh boy! This is going to be great.”

Gratuitous allusion to ANIMAL HOUSE.

3 Likes