Rob's 2017 Contest Prep Thread

Happy new year! First post or 2018, can’t believe it’s been a year already since starting this contest log. Rather than starting a new thread, I’m just going to keep posting here with training, nutrition updates and such. Still not sure if I’m going to compete in the late spring/early summer, while I want to it’s looking increasingly like I won’t. Ultimately, after spending the better part of two years in a deficit, a year of living normally seems quite appealing.

Holiday season was very enjoyable. Had a ton of good food and somehow seem to be getting leaner. I haven’t weighed myself in two weeks or so, but I feel I look leaner than I did a few weeks ago, wife does too, and I’m a comfortable loop in on my lifting belt. In the mirror and at the gym I see better conditioning also, which could be from eating a higher carb level and filling out with more glycogen. But, overall very pleased with the current physique and training progress.

Weight wise I weighed in a couple weeks ago and was 160. I was guessing by mirror that I was around 156-157 based on conditioning alone, so was pretty stoked to see 160, as some anecdotal evidence that I’ve successfully put on some LBM since last year. I’d certainly hope so as I went from 140-165 after the show I’ve the course of 5 months!

I’ve also increased sodium pretty significantly and it has really helped with getting a pump in the gym, and overall mood. I naturally like a lot of salt on my food, I use iodized sea salt. During my prep I had a time when I dialed back sodium and just didn’t feel right, kind of hazy, generally not as motivated as usual. I don’t know think I have any thyroid issues, but I do suspect at the end of my prep it might not have been functioning optimally. Anyway, since increasing sodium a bunch a week ago, I feel great, consistently get a better pump in the gym and have more visible vascularity.

Training wise strength has been improving slowly and I started adding in some exercises I haven’t done in a while. Last week I added back squats back in to my leg day, I havent squatted in months as they were bothering my hips. After no hip issues for a while, I’m squatting again, just really focusing on performance, and always stopping with a few left in the tank. I am squatting primarily because I think it’s a exercise that engages the full body, and will be beneficial to me, provided I don’t go too heavy to aggravate my hips, or consistently get too close to failure as I used to. Last week and this week I did a couple sets of 10, then a set of 8, set of 5 and two sets of 3. The sets of 5 and 3 allow me to add more weight to the bar but I still stop with a couple left in the tank. Strength has improved quickly, pretty solid for having not squatted in a few months. Two days ago I got:
225x10, 255x10, 285x8, 315x5, 335x3. All reps slow and controlled.

Also added rack pulls back in to back day. Similar with squats, stop with a couple reps in the tank.

I forgot how much I enjoy some heavy compound movements and am loving getting these exercises back in.

Here are some pics from today, I haven’t weighed myself in a couple weeks but since I was 160 last time, I’m guessing I’m around the same. Hard to say, while I’ve really been enjoying the holidays without going overboard, I’ve seemingly been getting leaner. So, 160 give or take a few pounds.

I think I’ll weigh myself on Wednesday or Thursday just to see where I’m at. Place your bets!

Also, quick shoutout to @EyeDentist, thank you very much for your kind words in the posts which you’ve tagged me!

11 Likes