Rob's 2017 Contest Prep Thread

It is amazing the progress I have made when I started to let my ego down a bit. Still push as heavy as I can but stopped with this “must get a PR” every time I hit the gym mentality

2 Likes

Finally got the pro shots in from the show! Haven’t received the ones from the photo shoot yet, but my buddy was taking some pics with a good camera, including a couple of those too. At the end of the photo shoot I took a couple fun shots with my horn, I’ve had some articles published in various magazines and websites on the topic of fitness and marching band, so I thought it would be fun and fitting to get a couple of shots with the horn I can use for those times.

7 Likes

aw dude that shot with the horn is fucking tremendous! I didn’t see that one coming

3 Likes

Unreal flow with your physique! You really brought a great package to the stage brother!

1 Like

@Yogi1 - Thanks man! It was a blast taking those shots, can’t wait to see the finished ones from the shoot.

@joshbenjamin - Thanks so much bro, as did you!

EDIT: Adding a quick shot during training my wife got yesterday. One thing I’ve noticed after each prep is increased vascularity. While it’s only been 5 weeks, I do feel I’ve made some significant progress in size and most definitely in strength.

Alright, finally got the training log up and running: Rob's Natty Bodybuilding Log / Q&A

When I get the pro shots from the photo shoot in I’ll throw some up here, otherwise I’ll be posting mostly in my training log from now on. BUT, please feel free to post on here, I’ll still get a notification and will be able to respond.

I know I’ve said it many times, but I just have to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who has followed along on here, whether silently or not, those who have posted comments, the support, motivation, it’s really been incredible. To say motivating and helpful would be an understatement. Especially deep in the prep, so much support on here, it really got me through, and while we don’t know each other outside of these forums, I still feel a great sense of friendship and community on here. So thanks again everyone, and thanks to T-Nation for the social media shout outs, the countless informative articles, and to Biotest for making the best supplements on the market.

8 Likes

I know you compose music for schools… but the inclusion of that shot was hilarious. It should be the logo for your business.

Imagine if they made BBers have a talent portion like a beauty pageant.
:philosoraptor:

3 Likes

Pfft everyone looks like a beast when doing cable flys :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: haha nice beard for only 5weeks btw!

Also why do you tuck your thumb on stage when posing? Years of martial arts has made that feel most unnatural to me.

1 Like

Thanks man! It’s gonna be my head shot/picture for the articles I have published on those topics. I have one being published end of the month so it’ll be fun to put it to use!

I’ve actually thought of that too! During posing routines props are allowed to be used, I’ve thought of whipping out the horn, only briefly before I decided definitely not lol.

LOL thanks! I’ve trimmed it a few times, it grows fast and furious. Last winter it got pretty hermit-in-the-mountains length (at least for me), we’ll see if it gets back there.

You know, honestly I’m not sure. Most bodybuilders seem to tuck the thumb in, sometimes I see one with a “standard” fist with thumb on top, but mostly it’s thumb in. Personally, I feel it gives me a better contraction and muscle visibility in the forearm and biceps because it gives me something to squeeze, and it’s just more comfortable. It may feel that way because I’m used to it now, but having tried it both ways, I like the thumb tuck. I’m sure for martial arts that wouldn’t make sense and would feel awkward!

1 Like

Actually, it’s a good way to break your thumb when punching. Not that I’m a cage fighter or anything.

1 Like

Got the shots from the photo shoot, man they turned out great! There are a lot of them, here are some of my favs.

5 Likes

Great pics! Better lighting than most shows I’ve been too -lol

S

1 Like

I didn’t know you played the trumpet, I do as well (not so much these days with the kid)

We will have to battle it out for most shredded Double C some day.

1 Like

Wait, you play trumpet? I thought you were a musician. Just kidding. You look crazy in these pictures, better than the show ones.

1 Like

@The_Mighty_Stu Thanks man, agreed about the lighting!!

@Lonnie123 that’s awesome, T-Nation trumpet players unite! You’d win, I don’t have those chops anymore. My entire trumpet career I was a lead player, especially in college, playing lead for both university big bands, and with a salsa band. Screaming above the staff for 4 hour gigs with no break, my chops were made of steel. That was during my undergrad though when I was getting my bachelors in performance, emphasis in jazz studies. Once I started grad work in education, I wasn’t playing as much, and I’m not the kind of lead player that can maintain that range without practicing. I still gig regularly in a swing band, big bands and some small combo work, but not much on the lead stuff anymore. I can still wail on a double G for a bit, but my endurance isn’t what it used to be and anything above a double G is long gone.

@DoubleDuce LOL I think you’re confusing me with a drummer!

Thanks you very much man, I do agree that I looked better on Sunday than the day of the show! I really wasn’t sure what to expect given the amount of food I ate Saturday night (it was quite a lot.) So, from that, I can take away that I can handle way more carbs than I thought for a carb load, and if I compete again eventually, I’ll probably start carbing up Thursday and have it be a two day process.

1 Like

You’d have me beat with that alone… I only ever dreamed of really playing the thing, closest I got was to allow a jazz band to let me sit in on their practices. I took a few lessons with Paul Cacia (look him up if you’re not familiar, he’s up there with Maynard Ferguson for me) I eventually was able to arpeggio up to a Dubba C but havent touched the horn in like 2 years for various reasons. You got any recordings?

1 Like

Those pro shots made me notice something I had not really spotted before, that your chest is incredible! 2nd and 3rd pic show your physique at its very best.

Well done not only on your physique accomplishments but also on your log and willingness to go into such great detail to answer everyone’s questions. Thanks for all the tips and information, it’s appreciated by many I’m sure.

3 Likes

Dude, that is incredible, about the lessons and your range! I never quite had the double C. In my best day I could peel paint off the wall with my double A, B sometimes, never got up to the Double C consistently, once in a blue moon lol. But, I could still finish a four hour gig and end on a rock solid G or A.

Yes! I gotta ask the band leaders for them, I recorded with the salsa band a few years ago, and the swing band more recently, I’ll see if I can get some copies. Probably got some old college recordings floating around my old hard drives too.

@kd13 - Thank you very much man, I really appreciate that and your very kind words! I really enjoy being able to share everything I’ve been fortunate enough to learn through others, and myself, and am very glad to know folks on here are finding it enjoyable and informative.

You should start selling meal plans and workout routines to band kids on IG. You’d make a killing.

1 Like

Not a band kid, but I would certainly hire Rob as a coach!

1 Like