Robo-Suicide, Emotional Damage

Did anyone catch the news (I won’t be surprised if you didn’t. I was lucky enough not to blink between shots of Anna Nicole Smith, Anna Nicole Smith’s house, and an expose on “Who Is Howard K Stern?”) about the GM Super Bowl ad where the robot loses its job and commits suicide?

GM is Asked to Pull Their Ad
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17050378/

The Ad

I thought it was pretty hilarious that people are up in arms about this. I saw one lady that was crying and saying that when she saw the ad, she had to relive the terrible experience she had when her son committed suicide, and that she “had to relive it over and over again since I saw that ad. I can’t stop thinking about it.”

So how much will it cost GM to get that memory out of your head, lady?

What I don’t understand is where the excuse to sue is, here. I mean, I was traumatized when my ex-girlfriend started her period during sex, but you don’t see me threatening to sue Playtex for talking about menstruation on television…

For god’s sake, folks. “Politically Correct” is getting out of hand.

-Jason

I think society as a whole is filled with morons. This doesn’t surprise me and I am trying hard to not let any more crap like this cause me to bang my head against walls. I am running out of walls.

Is suicide a serious subject? Yes. However, if joking about ‘serious subjects’ is now off limits, what is there left to joke about? This wasn’t even a person so how did it remind some lady of her son? Someone that sensitive shouldn’t have been watching television in the first place.

Well I thought it was quite sad but I am a sensitive person. However the idea of suing for emotional distress or somesuch is rediculous. It’s just not a great add.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I think society as a whole is filled with morons. This doesn’t surprise me and I am trying hard to not let any more crap like this cause me to bang my head against walls. I am running out of walls.

Is suicide a serious subject? Yes. However, if joking about ‘serious subjects’ is now off limits, what is there left to joke about? This wasn’t even a person so how did it remind some lady of her son? Someone that sensitive shouldn’t have been watching television in the first place.[/quote]

I agree. Sucide jokes do have their place…:slight_smile:

God forbid we develop coping skills to get through life.

– ElbowStrike

I can see it. I wouldn’t demand that the ad be pulled, or even make a fuss over it, but, I agree that it is pretty insensitive… suicide SUCKS…

Kind of a sad commercial but nothing to rally about.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I can see it. I wouldn’t demand that the ad be pulled but… suicide SUCKS…[/quote]

A lot of things suck, though. Like preying on the ignorance of middle-class America for the sake of “entertainment.” Or documenting the failures and inadequacies of a group of misled degenerates in their misguided quest for their fifteen minutes.

But no one’s suing anyone over American Idol or Cops.

And before anyone says it, suicide is not worse than American Idol. Suicide is the product of depression, stupidity, and an extreme lack of ambition; all three of these traits are exacerbated, if not caused, by reality television.

And for those whose sense of humor is automatically deactivated by the word suicide, this post is (mostly) tongue-in-cheek.

-Jason