Roadside Death Memorials

I actually agree with the OP. i think they are rediculous and should be banned. I understand the need for mourning but you do that at the resting place of the person or in the privacy of your own home. the rest of the population should not have to see ten to fifteen different crosses or signs driving down a 5 mile stretch. I understand why it is a touchy subject but that is why cemetaries were created. to give a communitive resting place for people to go and mourn their loved ones. not on the side of I-90 with people driving 70 mph past them.

I see them around by me in quite a few places, it goes to show us just how many people die on the roads that we would otherwise never know about. People leave them alone, I’ve never seen one torn apart and some do get renewed once in a while. I’d have an issue if someone drove into a tree in my front yard and the family wanted to put up a memorial. There are limits to everything.

BG

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
nikinine wrote:
ohgreat, another asshole driver

only when I am drinking and while texting on my phone. Especially since I drive a stick so it really sucks when I have to text, but I just use my knees to steer. [/quote]

I screwed a cup holder onto the door of one car I drove so I had a place to rest my beer when I needed both hands to drive. You might try that.

BG

Let’s bury this thread and put up a memorial.

nikinine wrote:
It’s a sober reminder of life lost. If it causes one person to SLOW DOWN and not drive like an asshole determined to die or kill someone, I’m all for them.

It makes me drive faster to speed past the damn things. Not everyone wants to look at crosses along the road.

I didn’t even realize how much it irks me that people put their religious symbols all over public property and somehow it gets okayed. I wonder if I could start a lawsuit about them hijacking public property for religious purposes?[/quote]

I guess obituaries and public cemeteries should be done away with too? Never ever never should you be forced to see another religion’s symbols used as a memorial for a lost loved one. Oh the humanity! Those selfish people going and dying on public property. Bunch of pricks I tell you.

From here on out, in order to keep OG’s vag from getting too sandy, the only politically acceptable manner to express grief is to wear it on a t-shirt.

In your living room.

With the doors locked.

And the blinds closed.

10 Commandments on the front of a courthouse I have a problem with. Roadside crosses memorializing lost loved ones? Definitely not. Toughen the fuck up sweetie.

[quote]bozbot wrote:
I actually agree with the OP. i think they are rediculous and should be banned. I understand the need for mourning but you do that at the resting place of the person or in the privacy of your own home. the rest of the population should not have to see ten to fifteen different crosses or signs driving down a 5 mile stretch. I understand why it is a touchy subject but that is why cemetaries were created. to give a communitive resting place for people to go and mourn their loved ones. not on the side of I-90 with people driving 70 mph past them.[/quote]

Yeah, and all of those people saying things I don’t like in public places. They need to take that shit to the privacy of their own homes.

Holy motherfuckin Moses, something nice is allowed to mourning families and people are too concerned about what they “have to look at” to let it be.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
nikinine wrote:
It’s a sober reminder of life lost. If it causes one person to SLOW DOWN and not drive like an asshole determined to die or kill someone, I’m all for them.

It makes me drive faster to speed past the damn things. Not everyone wants to look at crosses along the road.

I didn’t even realize how much it irks me that people put their religious symbols all over public property and somehow it gets okayed. I wonder if I could start a lawsuit about them hijacking public property for religious purposes?

I guess obituaries and public cemeteries should be done away with too? Never ever never should you be forced to see another religion’s symbols used as a memorial for a lost loved one. Oh the humanity! Those selfish people going and dying on public property. Bunch of pricks I tell you.

From here on out, in order to keep OG’s vag from getting too sandy, the only politically acceptable manner to express grief is to wear it on a t-shirt.

In your living room.

With the doors locked.

And the blinds closed.

10 Commandments on the front of a courthouse I have a problem with. Roadside crosses memorializing lost loved ones? Definitely not. Toughen the fuck up sweetie.[/quote]

toughen up? I’m pretty tough. Enough to not want someone else’s melodrama along the road. Stupid analogy with the obituaries and cemeteries. Those are expected and have their place.

You never see a Star of David out there, and yes, let’s keep the sand out of my vag and get rid of these displays.

…people will bitch about anything.

Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
nikinine wrote:

I didn’t even realize how much it irks me that people put their religious symbols all over public property and somehow it gets okayed. I wonder if I could start a lawsuit about them hijacking public property for religious purposes?

In your living room.

With the doors locked.

And the blinds closed.

10 Commandments on the front of a courthouse I have a problem with. Roadside crosses memorializing lost loved ones? Definitely not. Toughen the fuck up sweetie.

toughen up? I’m pretty tough. Enough to not want someone else’s melodrama along the road. Stupid analogy with the obituaries and cemeteries. Those are expected and have their place.

You never see a Star of David out there, and yes, let’s keep the sand out of my vag and get rid of these displays.

[/quote]

You obviously are not very tough if you can’t stand the site of someone else’s grief or their religion. Insensitive? Definitely. Tough? Definitely not.

Melodrama? People don’t put these things up when they break up with their high school sweethearts. They put them up when someone they love dies. As in gone forever. Never coming back.

I have seen star’s of David…and I live in South Carolina which has approximately 4 Jews. Nice try.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
nikinine wrote:

In your living room.

With the doors locked.

And the blinds closed.

You obviously are not very tough if you can’t stand the site of someone else’s grief or their religion. Insensitive? Definitely. Tough? Definitely not.

Melodrama? People don’t put these things up when they break up with their high school sweethearts. They put them up when someone they love dies. As in gone forever. Never coming back.

I have seen star’s of David…and I live in South Carolina which has approximately 4 Jews. Nice try.[/quote]

oh you are such liar. You are making crap up about seeing a Star of David. You know you didn’t.

yes, I do think it is inappropriate, too bad if you think it is insensitive. I don’t live my life according to your standards. But, it is good to know if someone dies in your driveway you will let them erect a monument with your support and agreement. In fact I will suggest your neighborhood to everyone.

And stop trying to seem like such a white knight, you aren’t. If they really wanted to honor their loved ones they would do something more meaningful then a plastic Jesus or a Styrofoam cross on the road and expect everyone else to have to share their grief.

oh you are such liar. You are making crap up about seeing a Star of David. You know you didn’t.

yes, I do think it is inappropriate, too bad if you think it is insensitive. I don’t live my life according to your standards. But, it is good to know if someone dies in your driveway you will let them erect a monument with your support and agreement. In fact I will suggest your neighborhood to everyone.

And stop trying to seem like such a white knight, you aren’t. If they really wanted to honor their loved ones they would do something more meaningful then a plastic Jesus or a Styrofoam cross on the road and expect everyone else to have to share their grief.

[/quote]

I’m actually not lying. I’ve seen it.

We aren’t talking about driveways, we are talking about public land.

I’m not trying to be a white knight, I just think you are a dumb bitch who has nothing better to do than whine about other people’s grieving. Who are you to decide what is meaningful and what is not? I guess in your little world, you have every right to dictate what you should have to bear the burden of seeing on a daily basis, right? How much of a selfish, self-righteous, overly sensitive prick do you have to be to care so much about something that is so trivial to everyone except the mourning family/friends? No one is expecting you to share anything with anyone or expecting you to do anything beyond not getting your granny panties in a bunch about an 18 inch tall cross on the side of the highway.

Stay in your nice little bubble and learn some god damned respect. It’s ok princess, the government won’t let those mean old Christians have their religion anywhere near you.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I’m actually not lying. I’ve seen it.

We aren’t talking about driveways, we are talking about public land.

I’m not trying to be a white knight, I just think you are a dumb bitch who has nothing better to do than whine about other people’s grieving. Who are you to decide what is meaningful and what is not? I guess in your little world, you have every right to dictate what you should have to bear the burden of seeing on a daily basis, right? How much of a selfish, self-righteous, overly sensitive prick do you have to be to care so much about something that is so trivial to everyone except the mourning family/friends? No one is expecting you to share anything with anyone or expecting you to do anything beyond not getting your granny panties in a bunch about an 18 inch tall cross on the side of the highway.

Stay in your nice little bubble and learn some god damned respect. It’s ok princess, the government won’t let those mean old Christians have their religion anywhere near you.
[/quote]

You would think they wouldn’t but it seems like they just keep creeping in despite supposed separation of church and state. Or I could just make up things to make my post seem better, but I’ll leave that to you, being the dumb fuck that you are.

seems like we just won’t agree Stronghold. Hope you can sleep tonight.

You would think they wouldn’t but it seems like they just keep creeping in despite supposed separation of church and state. Or I could just make up things to make my post seem better, but I’ll leave that to you, being the dumb fuck that you are.

[/quote]

I’m the dumb fuck? I’m not the one bitching about how hard it is having to see crosses on the side of the road. Do you have any idea how incredibly ignorant that makes you seem?

This has nothing to do with separation of Church and State. This has to do with the government allowing citizens to express their grief on public land. Big fucking deal. If you are so insecure in your atheism that such expression bothers you, it sounds like you should reconsider the depth of your beliefs.

This is a lot like those who claim that children should not be allowed to pray out loud if they wish to do so during lunch at public schools. A good idea (separation of church and state) taken to such an extreme that it becomes completely absurd…typical of the intellectually incapable.

Distraction.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I’m the dumb fuck? I’m not the one bitching about having to see crosses on the side of the road. Do you have any idea how incredibly ignorant that makes you seem?

This has nothing to do with separation of Church and State. This has to do with the government allowing citizens to express their grief on public land. Big fucking deal. If you are so insecure in your atheism that such expression bothers you, it sounds like you should reconsider the depth of your beliefs.

This is a lot like those who claim that children should not be allowed to pray out loud if they wish to do so during lunch at public schools. A good idea (separation of church and state) taken to such an extreme that it becomes completely absurd…typical of the intellectually incapable.[/quote]

Do you realize how ignorant you sound when you say it isn’t an issue about someone erecting a religious shrine on public land and yet you don’t see it as a church and state issue?

Did I say I was an atheist? Or is this something else you are making up?

Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I’m the dumb fuck? I’m not the one bitching about having to see crosses on the side of the road. Do you have any idea how incredibly ignorant that makes you seem?

This is a lot like those who claim that children should not be allowed to pray out loud if they wish to do so during lunch at public schools. A good idea (separation of church and state) taken to such an extreme that it becomes completely absurd…typical of the intellectually incapable.

Do you realize how ignorant you sound when you say it isn’t an issue about someone erecting a religious shrine on public land and yet you don’t see it as a church and state issue?

[/quote]

Separation of church and state entails that the church nor its policies will be directly influentual or favored in any way during the course of the management of a state. It guarantees that government will not show preference to any one religion over any other religion or lack thereof.

Jews are more than welcome to erect memorial Star’s of David as are Muslims to erect memorial crescents. Atheists are welcome to erect nothing (bah dumb psshh). The policy shows no favor to any particular religion or lack thereof. The fact that you see more crosses is indicative only of the fact that more citizens are Christians and that more of those Christians choose to erect memorials under the allowances granted by the policy, NOT of any sort of state sponsorship of Christianity.

Ignorant liberal zealots tend to misinterpret “separation of Church and State” to mean state sponsored atheism. This seem so to be the definition that you are operating under and holds no practical purpose within government, unlike the aforementioned interpretation of the policy.

In fact, it can be argued that atheism is a sort of antireligion due to the way that many of its subscribers proselytize to others about the moral and intellectual superiority of their spiritual non-views. If you want to take it that far, then state sponsored atheism itself violates the treatise of separation of Church and State.

In short, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Go back to SAMA where your boobs are all you need to post.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Separation of church and state entails that the church nor its policies will be directly influentual or favored in any way during the course of the management of a state. It guarantees that government will not show preference to any one religion over any other religion or lack thereof. Jews are more than welcome to erect memorial Star’s of David as are Muslims to erect memorial crescents. Atheists are welcome to erect nothing (bah dumb psshh). The policy shows no favor to any particular religion or lack thereof. The fact that you see more crosses is indicative only of the fact that more citizens are Christians and that more of those Christians choose to erect memorials under the allowances granted by the policy, NOT of any sort of state sponsorship of Christianity.

Ignorant liberal zealots tend to misinterpret “separation of Church and State” to mean state sponsored atheism. This seem so to be the definition that you are operating under and holds no practical purpose within government, unlike the aforementioned interpretation of the policy. In fact, it can be argued that atheism is a sort of antireligion due to the way that many of its subscribers proselytize to others about the moral and intellectual superiority of their spiritual non-views. If you want to take it that far, then state sponsored atheism itself violates the treatise of separation of Church and State.

In short, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Go back to SAMA where your boobs are all you need to post.[/quote]

There is also the freedom from religion. I know it seems great to be able to Google something and think you know the whole story, but that usually isn’t the case. Your right to express your religious beliefs cannot infringe upon my right to be free of your religion in a public area. And especially it cannot be sheltered on public tax paid for land.

here you go, this was in that link.

They Are Unconstitutional and a Hazard

Robert Tiernan is a lawyer in Colorado. Nine years ago, he represented a person accused of illegally removing a roadside memorial. His client was acquitted.

There are three reasons why privately placed roadside memorials should not be allowed.

First, they constitute the taking of public property for private purposes.

Second, they invariably include Christian crosses and other religious symbols. This violates the constitutional principle of separation of church and state because public facilities are being used to promote religion.

(Photo: Kevin Moloney for the New York Times)
Hoping to avoid safety problems when mourners stop to mount, maintain or visit homemade memorials along the highway, the state of Wyoming produces and maintains its own signs, which sport a dove over a broken heart.

Third, they are a distraction and, therefore, dangerous to the motoring public. Many of these memorials are on median strips along the highway or are just off the shoulder. They are often elaborate and include symbols that are anchored into the ground. If a motorist happens to lose control of his car and hits one of these displays, it could result in serious injury or death.

Furthermore, the fact that grieving family and friends frequently visit these memorials to leave flowers and to pray presents an additional danger. In the case I handled, the memorial was in the â??Vâ?? of an interstate off-ramp. When mourners slowed down to pull off and visit the site, it created a serious traffic hazard.

Many states, including Colorado and Wyoming, have programs designed to commemorate victims of traffic accidents that donâ??t involve religious symbols or displays that are distracting. This is a better alternative than allowing citizens to erect their own shrines.

But we can keep with the personal insults that you started if that is easier for you?

Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

[/quote]

I have seen a Star of David memorial in my town also. Not sure why this is hard to believe. I think that Jews still exist, and they probably aren’t invincible, so this kind of makes sense.

Are you serious that your reason for disliking these memorials is because it is a showing of religion? If you were my friend, and you died on the side of the road, but you were an atheist, I would plant a little tree there or some shit. It doesn’t really matter. I’m sure that Muslims and Jews are allowed to put up memorials too. It’s up to them.

By the way, if you die in a car crash I’m going to put a cross on the side of the road where it happened. It will be decorated with pink streamers and yellow smiley faces.

Why do you feel the need to call OG a dumb bitch, because she disagrees with you ? If you have a different position on the issue, I think you are entitled, but why call out names dude?

[quote]Mettahl wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I have seen a Star of David memorial in my town also. Not sure why this is hard to believe. I think that Jews still exist, and they probably aren’t invincible, so this kind of makes sense.

Are you serious that your reason for disliking these memorials is because it is a showing of religion? If you were my friend, and you died on the side of the road, but you were an atheist, I would plant a little tree there or some shit. It doesn’t really matter. I’m sure that Muslims and Jews are allowed to put up memorials too. It’s up to them.

By the way, if you die in a car crash I’m going to put a cross on the side of the road where it happened. It will be decorated with pink streamers and yellow smiley faces.[/quote]

well I hope you wouldn’t do that.

And I actually only took the side of the OP because I never really thought about them before the post. I don’t care that much one way of the other, but I wasn’t a fan of everyone thinking the OP was a monster for having his opinion.

and as a Jew, I don’t know of any Jew that would put up a Star of David on the side of the road.