T Nation

Roadblock In My Quest for Mass

I’ve been trying to bulk now for the last 4 years. I’ve gone from 115, at 5 feet 11 inches to 170. The roadblocks plural are my parents. I’m still living at home (a problem I’m also going to start working on.) and my dad just had kittens because I have fat on my midsection and told me to stop eating so many calories. He also wants me to see a doctor to check my cholesterol levels and my bodyfat percentage and he wants to go in WITH the doctor to make sure that what the doctor says is true.

Now it is true that I’m not doing a clean bulk. For lunch I’ll go and grab whatever on the menu has the most calories. It’s also true that I’m putting on fat. But here’s the thing. I’ve got the cheat to make metabolic ends meet. I just don’t have the appetite for a clean bulk.

I’ve got to try eating 3700 a day for growth (according to Berardi’s calculator.) and even with the protein shakes and the fast foot I’m barely making 3k. The other thing is that while I AM putting on weight, it isn’t ALL fat. Otherwise I wouldn’t be adding weight to my bench and squat.

So my question, where should I go from here? I can eat fast food behind his back but if I can’t get my protein shakes I’m pretty much screwed. If I get the tests I can use the results to convince him that I’m fine and hope that he wont throw out my blender and weight set altogether, but I’m not sure I want to risk it.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
I’ve been trying to bulk now for the last 4 years. I’ve gone from 115, at 5 feet 11 inches to 170. The roadblocks plural are my parents. I’m still living at home (a problem I’m also going to start working on.) and my dad just had kittens because I have fat on my midsection and told me to stop eating so many calories. He also wants me to see a doctor to check my cholesterol levels and my bodyfat percentage and he wants to go in WITH the doctor to make sure that what the doctor says is true.

Now it is true that I’m not doing a clean bulk. For lunch I’ll go and grab whatever on the menu has the most calories. It’s also true that I’m putting on fat. But here’s the thing. I’ve got the cheat to make metabolic ends meet. I just don’t have the appetite for a clean bulk.

I’ve got to try eating 3700 a day for growth (according to Berardi’s calculator.) and even with the protein shakes and the fast foot I’m barely making 3k. The other thing is that while I AM putting on weight, it isn’t ALL fat. Otherwise I wouldn’t be adding weight to my bench and squat.

So my question, where should I go from here? I can eat fast food behind his back but if I can’t get my protein shakes I’m pretty much screwed. If I get the tests I can use the results to convince him that I’m fine and hope that he wont throw out my blender and weight set altogether, but I’m not sure I want to risk it.[/quote]

So you’re not getting your tests done because you’re concerned the results will cause your dad to throw your blender out? Look mate, I can’t think of any reason why you’d want to bulk so stupidly.

Get your tests done.

-Cloth

PS I’m not sure which exact article you read, but every article I’ve read has suggested to not jump to the target caloric intake in one day. The whole point of waiting is so that your metabolism can gradually increase to handle the excess energy. Don’t skip these steps, if they weren’t necessary they wouldn’t be there.

If you don’t have the appetite for a clean bulk, why are you even bothering? I guess your dad isn’t a training/nutrition expert, but I think that even he can tell when you’re just making yourself fat.

A few questions for you-

For those 4 years of “bulking” and gaining 60 lbs- how much of that do you attribute to aging and how much to your diet? How much does your dad attribute to each? I would bet the answer is different.

How old are you?

Have you bothered to try and explain to your father the benefits of not being a skinny punk? Is he really skinny? Like emo skinny? Does he think bodybuilders look disgusting? Have you explained to him your goals and why you are doing what you are doing?

I wouldn’t worry about the tests. If you barely consume 3k calories a day, regardless of how bad the food is, at your age the results will still be good. Go get the tests and prove to your father that you’re not killing yourself. If the tests do come back bad, then you’ll just prove to yourself that you’re really not doing it correctly.

edit

WTF? I found another post of yours saying you’re 21, almost 22. Are you serious? Why does your father have a say in any of this? I know you may live at home and he may even still support you, but be a man. Of all the things for a dad to be concerned about for a 22-y/o it’s not a modest weight gain…

Firstly Cloth, I am all for taking the tests and if the results are bad then I’ll bit the bullet and admit defeat.

Secondly eengrms76, I’d say all of the size has been due to weight training. at 22 my dad was 115 and I have no doubt that I would be too if it weren’t for the lifting and protein shakes. And my dad wouldn’t deny that the lifting and shakes are what’s adding the weight, he agrees on that fact.

The difference is that he says it’s bad, because he thinks it’s all fat and that I’m going to become a diabetic with hearts disease because I can’t see my abs anymore. And while he isn’t emo skinny anymore he does believe all the negative stereotypes about weight training and some stuff I don’t know where the hell it came from.

(His insistence that the way you get stronger is by millions of push ups and that lifting heavy doesn’t make you “strong” that you’re just adding “bulk” and my personal favorite, that high protein diets will kill you because when you go off them your hearts muscle will eat itself and you’ll die of a heart attack.)

The long term permanent solution is of course, moving out. Duh. But right now there is still a degree of financial dependance and I need something for the short term until I can movie out for good.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
Secondly eengrms76, I’d say all of the size has been due to weight training. at 22 my dad was 115 and I have no doubt that I would be too if it weren’t for the lifting and protein shakes. And my dad wouldn’t deny that the lifting and shakes are what’s adding the weight, he agrees on that fact.[/quote]

I bet you if you did it all with real food and not shakes your dad wouldn’t be so bent out of shape over it. Something about a protein shake that scares people.

[quote]The difference is that he says it’s bad, because he thinks it’s all fat and that I’m going to become a diabetic with hearts disease because I can’t see my abs anymore. And while he isn’t emo skinny anymore he does believe all the negative stereotypes about weight training and some stuff I don’t know where the hell it came from.

(His insistence that the way you get stronger is by millions of push ups and that lifting heavy doesn’t make you “strong” that you’re just adding “bulk” and my personal favorite, that high protein diets will kill you because when you go off them your hearts muscle will eat itself and you’ll die of a heart attack.)[/quote]

That’s funny. Your dad could use some education on this stuff. If you want to make your dad feel better, assure him you won’t be going off the high protein diets and your heart will be fine.

It’s unfortunate that one must be controlled in conjunction with being financially assisted. I don’t know why parents feel they can do this. They aren’t helping their children become emotionally and intellectually independent if they try to control their children with their money.

Just appease your dad, get the tests, and then show him that you aren’t killing yourself.

If you tried to keep your junk food sessions around 1-2 hours post workout, it should slower the fat gain.

You could try that for a few weeks and see what happens…

here’s the thing eengrms76 , I CAN’T do it without the protein shakes. 3700 of solid food is a physical (not to mention financial) impossibility for me, let alone 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
here’s the thing eengrms76 , I CAN’T do it without the protein shakes. 3700 of solid food is a physical (not to mention financial) impossibility for me, let alone 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say that (financially maybe, but not physically).

Besides my comment was basically saying that had you done it without shakes the whole issue with your Dad may have never even started. There is just something that scares parents about protein shakes. They somehow mentally link them to steroids (in my case when I was younger) and just in general. The media doesn’t help either. It just perpetuates the stereotypes.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
here’s the thing eengrms76 , I CAN’T do it without the protein shakes. 3700 of solid food is a physical (not to mention financial) impossibility for me, let alone 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.[/quote]

a 16oz glass of milk has almost as much protein as the shakes and at $2-3 a gallon, i find its cheaper. add a little chocolate syrup for a post workout “shake” to jack up the carbs. and maybe even replace the whole milk sticker with a skim milk sticker to ease your dad’s worries.

i struggled for years to gain with protein shakes, but i found with good old milk, i could drink a lot more and now i have stretch marks on my legs from letting my gains get too out of hand.
trust me, it can be done without protein shakes. good luck :slight_smile:

[quote]Sliver wrote:
here’s the thing eengrms76 , I CAN’T do it without the protein shakes. 3700 of solid food is a physical (not to mention financial) impossibility for me, let alone 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.[/quote]

It’s actually more like 2 grams of protein per Kilogram of body weight.
1 kg is 2.2 lbs, so approx. 164 grams a day at 180 lbs of body weight.

*2 grams to 1 kg
*not 1 gram to 1 lbs

[quote]Souperman wrote:
It’s actually more like 1 gram of protein per Kilogram of body weight.
1 kg is 2.2 lbs, so approx. half your body weight in protein.

*1 gram to 1 kg
*not 1 gram to 1 lbs[/quote]

Wrong.

First, it could be worse. A lot of people are getting beaten up and molested by their fathers. Yours at least is trying to keep you healthy. He’s obviously a dumbass, but hey, what can you do?

He’s not going to learn about why you’re doing what you’re doing. He, like every other dumbass, already knows everything.

Once you move out (I’m assuming you’re under 18), you’ll be fine. Don’t sweat it if you miss out on some gains. Just do your time.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Souperman wrote:
It’s actually more like 1 gram of protein per Kilogram of body weight.
1 kg is 2.2 lbs, so approx. half your body weight in protein.

*1 gram to 1 kg
*not 1 gram to 1 lbs

Wrong.[/quote]

Thanks, I corrected it