Road Work/Conditioning with Running

Was looking into starting some road work/running for conditioning during this whole lockdown. Ant recommendations for volume on running? I’m gonna start on the lower end of a few miles per week but any advice/tips?

What does your weight training/other physical activity look like right now? That’s gonna influence how much running you should do.

How much do you weigh? Do you have any prior running experience?

The questions from others are important ones. I can tell you the best approach I have found:

WO 1: medium distance/pace. For me, this might be 3 miles at a sub 8 min/mile pace. This will vary based on your running experience.

WO 2: Speed workout. I like to run a 400 m, 300 m, 200 m, 100 m and then a 50m. Take approximately the number of minutes between each one as the distance (4 min after the 400 m, 3 min after the 300 m, etc…)

WO 3: Slow, but longer. For me, this is a 5-7 miler at maybe a 9 min pace. Again, distance and speed are individual.

I would add no more than 3 days/week of lifting. I prefer the 531 approach, and there are a lot of 3-days-a-week templates.

Eric

2 Likes

I do three mile weight vest walk with dog. Feels like I’ve walked much further than that. But leave me plenty of energy