Road Work and Grappling

I don’t think you can have a wrestling program without a hill somewhere nearby. It’s one of the pre-reqs. One of my favorite quotes all time was from one of my friends telling our head coach, “We don’t need to be good at running, we will stand and fight!” It was funny for about ten seconds. Then we proceeded to have the worst conditioning day of our lives. Puking all around.

Hills are indeed essential

good point slimjim

Arod- interesting point you mention explosion and road work

I can talk about that for days…
road work is only one part of it- maybe its painful for some

wrestling itself- will build explosive power

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Hills are indeed essential

good point slimjim

Arod- interesting point you mention explosion and road work

I can talk about that for days…
road work is only one part of it- maybe its painful for some

wrestling itself- will build explosive power
[/quote]
People look at distance runners and conclude any running other than sprinting is a good way to get skinny and weak. There is a difference between road work and training for a 10K. Putting in 10-15 miles a week is not the same as 100 miles a week.

i absolutely hate doing road work but it works…

[quote]A-rod wrote:

Also Sentoguy I did not specifically say that my friend said anaerobic system is untrainable he that of the two systems this one is the most determined by genetics. So some people will just naturally have shitty anaerobic systems they can train it but it will still never be on par with someone who has great anaerobic system. But regardless that person can train his arobic system with less limitations based on genetics. I agree I should be careful who I take my advice from but my friend has a thirst for knowledge I have never seen from someone before and he thoroughly researches his stuff. But also that is why I came here to get multiple second opinions.
[/quote]

Well then I hope you misunderstood what your friend was telling you here, because its completely backwards…Your aerobic system is the one that is largely genetically limited while the anaerobic system is very trainable.

And my two cents on the topic, roadwork has little use for grappling. Do it if you want, don’t worry about it if you hate it. Work on your technique, strength, and anaerobic conditioning so you can explode late in a match. I don’t ever do distance running, only ever gave me shin splints, and if I’m bored anymore ill run a mile for the hell of it, my times are hardly different from when I ran a lot in high school, genetics.