Road Warriors

I will be starting a new job in a couple of weeks that will have me on the road Monday through Friday. Are there any other road warriors on here who have any tips for staying in shape on the road?

I get $55 a day for meals (if I don’t spend it, I lose it), so I can eat fairly well. Problem is, I have to eat out exclusively 5 days a week. I get reimbursed for daily gym visits.

The hotels will all be mid range hotels, so a small fitness center is all I can expect. Also, do anyone have any other tips in general for living out of a suitcase?

Thanks

If i were you Id try to plan ahead and see where gyms come up in the towns you will be in. Then id get myself a few kettlebells to throw in the trunk, and some jumpstretch bands, and maybe a sandbag of some sort, for when I couldnt find any gyms.

I take these items with me when i go on vacation to my lake house, and you can get quite creative and have some good workouts using these alone. Zach-even esh over at Elitefts.com puts out some good “underground” training stuff using these implements with body weight exercises and playgrounds. And you can always run outside.

[quote]j62usa wrote:
If i were you Id try to plan ahead and see where gyms come up in the towns you will be in. Then id get myself a few kettlebells to throw in the trunk, and some jumpstretch bands, and maybe a sandbag of some sort, for when I couldnt find any gyms.

I take these items with me when i go on vacation to my lake house, and you can get quite creative and have some good workouts using these alone. Zach-even esh over at Elitefts.com puts out some good “underground” training stuff using these implements with body weight exercises and playgrounds. And you can always run outside.[/quote]

Thanks man! Some of the places I will be in will have gyms close by, some will not. My original post was not clear, but I will be flying not driving, so I would not be able to bring much with me. At least with the web I can get online and find gyms before I get there.

$55 a day, thats a lot! I say you just stock up on some protein powder, but it might get hard to carry around after a week.

But for real, if you dont spend $55 a day then no big deal, just eat healthy and if you are on the road get a good protein bar. I used to get perdiem at my last job, and i found myself ordering more food just because i could and because i wasnt the one paying for it.

I stopped doing that because that is how you GAIN WEIGHT. Maybe thats why all my traveling bosses are so huge, because they eat eat and eat some more.

Previous to this year I was a road warrior for 5 years. I’ll share a few of my tips. If you’re going to be travelling to the same place for a period of time, go to a 24 Hour Fitness or other large chain. Tell them up front that you’re only going to be there for x number of weeks and you’ll pay them whatever you feel is reasonable. At first they’ll balk but once you explain that the lights have to be on anyway they usually accept the money.

I took a jump rope in my luggage and used it in my room. Most hotel gyms are really just large rooms with a bunch of cardio equipment (because that’s how you stay fit) and the weights are thrown in the corner as an after thought.

Also, just because you’re eating out doesn’t mean you can’t eath healthy. In once city There was a BBQ place near my hotel, I used to hit it every night and get some smoked chicken with a salad. You should also have a mini-fridge in your room so use that. Get a bagged salad and some of those Tyson pre-cooked diced chicken pouches. The absolute hardest part is when you’re working in a city with a larger team. Most people are going to go out drinking and eating every night…and you’ll want to go.

[quote]ratherbelifting wrote:
Previous to this year I was a road warrior for 5 years. I’ll share a few of my tips. If you’re going to be travelling to the same place for a period of time, go to a 24 Hour Fitness or other large chain. Tell them up front that you’re only going to be there for x number of weeks and you’ll pay them whatever you feel is reasonable. At first they’ll balk but once you explain that the lights have to be on anyway they usually accept the money.[/quote]

If you are going to the states that have them, I would recommend getting a membership from 24 Hour Fitness since you can get access to all their clubs and won’t have to hassle at each club (not sure but Golds or another chain might have a similar plan). It sucks but desperate times…