Road Trips- How Do You Do Them?

[quote]pat wrote:
I love road trips, I am a road nazi. I can out road trip anybody! My records consist of:

• Atlanta to Bozeman, MT - 33hrs strait.
  • Knoxville to Atlanta - 2hrs 40 mins.
  • Steubenville, OH to Atlanta -10 hrs flat.
  • Boston to Atlanta -16 hrs, with kids.[/quote]

You, Push, and Derek are troopers.

One of the things I REALLY didn’t like was the car. We did it in a Chevy Aveo. Anything over 75 mph. wuld give you that bad feeling like you just crossed a line that shouldn’t be crossed in that car.

I found myself in envy of a few of the BMWs and Caddys gliding smoothly by at probably 90-100 mph.

I once did a trip from Portland to Southern Missouri.

A friend of mine bought a car, sight unseen, from a guy in Oregon. We flew out there to drive the car back so that he could rebuild it.

The engine worked fine, the tranny was a bit grindy, the shocks were completely dead. The control stalk snapped almost the moment we got into the car, ripping out some wiring. That left us without a tachometer or heat.

We made it about 90% through Oregon just fine. Stopped in some town for dinner, then headed up the first mountain of the next range. We stopped to look at the view, and noticed the catalytic converter was blocked and glowing red hot.

After a phone call with his mechanic friend, we headed back down the mountain in search of a power drill. That was the easy part; finding a power outlet wasn’t. We had to run the tire air compressor at a gas station to cover the noise of the drill, as we put a hole in front of the catalytic converter so the exhaust could escape.

The next major incident was driving through the beginning of the Rockies past Grand Junction, CO. I-70 is windy, narrow, and visibility was awful. I came around a corner and there was a fresh deer carcass lying in the road. The tires were fine, but the shocks were dead… that left me with two options: 1) drive over the carcass, 2) attempt to avoid the carcass and risk sliding into the side of a mountain. So I hit the deer.

The front bumper cleared the carcass just fine, the car bounced a bit, and then we heard and felt the most godawful rattle I’ve ever experienced in a vehicle. We pulled over, took a look, but couldn’t see what was going on. We slowly, and shakily, got the car to the next exit. We left the car at the top of the overpass and walked to the nearest gas station. All they had to work with was a mechanical jack designed for trucks.

We manged to get the car up, but still couldn’t tell what was going on. It was about 4am at this time, and pitch black. We gave up looking and just decided to lower the car, return the car, and wait until it was light again. But… the jack wouldn’t go back down. We flagged over some guy at that exit, and he gave us a hand. We lifted the car off the jack as he pulled it out, and then lowered it as gentle as possible. He then offered us a ride to the next town, 18 miles up the road. That was the closest mechanic.

We ended up hanging out a truck stop until the shop opened. When they finally opened, they said it would be about 4 days before they could look at it.

We decided to head back to the car now that it was light out. Unfortunately, nobody was able/willing to give us a ride. We set out on foot, hiking back to the car through the mountains. We attempted to hitchhike with every passing truck, but nobody was willing to pick us up in their work vehicles. We eventually got to the point of holding out money, trying to get a ride… still no luck. We did get a ride for about 6 miles of the entire trip, but we hiked about 12 miles by foot.

Without water.

We left the water in the car. That was stupid.

We finally got back to the car, and with the daylight could see that there wasn’t any real damage. We bent the protective cover over the U-joint, and it was getting caught in the joint with every rotation of the driveshaft. Less than 5 minutes with a ratchet and we were back on the road again.

Eastern Colorado and Kansas were awful. We had 10 or 15 gallons of extra gas in the car, and so the windows were open. We had drilled that hole in the exhaust pipe, so exhaust gas was coming in from outside. Then there was a chilly 40+mph crosswind for most of the drive… and as I said, we had no heat. We were tired, cold and miserable, constantly exposed to the fumes of gasoline and exhaust.

About halfway through Kansas, we got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding. This was by far the best officer I’ve ever dealt with. He separated us, patted me down, and questioned us.

We had Missouri licenses, driving a car from Oregon, that had Arizona plates (and we learned those plates were never for the car), without insurance, and the car basically looked like a junker from the outside. The car was 20+ years old (Toyota AE86; the rear-wheel drive one), had random drill holes in the side of it, some of the body panels were rusted, etc. etc.

He split us up, questioned us independently, and took a look in the trunk. (He didn’t really look, he just wanted to make sure we weren’t BSing him.) He said technically he should impound the car, but that would have left us abandoned in the middle of nowhere. So he said he should at least take the plates… but that would mean going through the whole ordeal over and over again. So he just wrote us a couple tickets, advised us to call and get insurance ASAP, and sent us on our way, shaking his head and laughing at us.

The highlight was him complimenting my knife.

We made it back to KC fine, and he took his car, I took mine and we headed down to Springfield. I thought things were over by then, but we ended up run off the road during rush hour due to some bad construction signage. Fortunately without incident, but just when we thought we could relax. We both got back and slept for about 15 hours straight.

It was quite a trip. Learned a lot about myself.

I think the drive time was right around 35 hours.

My more “normal” road trips are 3.5 hours to visit friends in Ohio, 4 to visit my sister in Wisconsin, or 8-10 to visit my parents in Missouri depending on whether they’re at the lake or not.

For those I’ll usually sip on an energy drink while drinking Gatorade, and listen to music on my phone (run through the car speakers, of course). Usually some German or Russian electronic music stations when I have the bandwidth and Pandora when I don’t. Here and there I’ll listen to actual radio stations – there’s a few I like and tune in when I’m driving through those areas.

Sometimes audiobooks/teleplays. I re-listened to the whole iLoveBees story a few months back. Sometimes I’ll switch to something more active, like a language learning course.

I’ve enjoyed a few good cigars on some of the longer trips; a cigar cutter and a good lighter in the center console have come in handy several times. Good cigar, good music, a sunny day and fresh air. That makes for a nice hour or two of a longer trip. Something with a strong dose of nicotine and some rich flavor works well. The Four Kicks robusto, and CAO Cameroon L’Anniversaire are two of my favorites.

If I get too tired, I usually just sleep in my car. I made myself a canvas and wool bedroll last year, and I’ve used that a few times, sleeping under the stars, and even in a light rain without getting wet.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
I love road trips, I am a road nazi. I can out road trip anybody! My records consist of:

One of the things I REALLY didn’t like was the car. We did it in a Chevy Aveo. Anything over 75 mph. wuld give you that bad feeling like you just crossed a line that shouldn’t be crossed in that car.

I found myself in envy of a few of the BMWs and Caddys gliding smoothly by at probably 90-100 mph.
[/quote]

I did the Montana trip in a single cab 1990 base model nissan pickup. I did have a friend and ahem other help…:slight_smile:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[/quote]

I did the Montana trip in a single cab 1990 base model nissan pickup. I did have a friend and ahem other help…:)[/quote]

I’ve done a couple of road trips with assistance- One short one from Pittsburgh to Columbus that I’d swear only took about an hour and some change.

Another was from here to Dallas-Fort Worth which didn’t seem to take much time at all either. Amazing how time flies under certain conditions.

I’ve done 2 car buying trips now like the one Lorez posted. My mom bought a 71 Mustang in Phoenix so we flew out there and spent the week driving it back. I thought it would be funny to hug a cactus (I was 15) which was obviously something I regretted haha. Horn fell off in her lap right as I finished saying it was a “cool car.” Had to stop at a mechanic for something I can’t quite remember. That was a week long spring break where we took our time looking at some scenery on the way.

I bought a 93 Honda Prelude in Ohio as my 2nd car and flew up to get it. No real problems driving it back and it took me about 13 hours I think. I loved that car as my poor kid race car.

Lorez- did he ever fix that AE86 up? Those things are drift gods!

I did Kent to Lyon this summer (with an hour on the ferry). Took around 13.5 hours including 90min on the ferry and a lunch stop (8am-9:30pm). Was pretty brutal, but driving in a new country with strange French music on the radio was quite stimulating and the 80mph speed limit was nice.

The entire drive back up through France was in a thunder storm, that was reasonably high adrenaline. Slept like an absolute log after that one.

I’ve done 2 car buying trips now like the one Lorez posted. My mom bought a 71 Mustang in Phoenix so we flew out there and spent the week driving it back. I thought it would be funny to hug a cactus (I was 15) which was obviously something I regretted haha. Horn fell off in her lap right as I finished saying it was a “cool car.” Had to stop at a mechanic for something I can’t quite remember. That was a week long spring break where we took our time looking at some scenery on the way.

I bought a 93 Honda Prelude in Ohio as my 2nd car and flew up to get it. No real problems driving it back and it took me about 13 hours I think. I loved that car as my poor kid race car.

Lorez- did he ever fix that AE86 up? Those things are drift gods!

I developed a pretty good system for my last two road trips. Here it is:

1. Get the van in tip top condition.
  2. Wife loads the van with all the food and gear required. Including what is needed for camping along the way.
  3. Kiss the wife & 3 kids good bye on the morning they leave.
  4. Kiss the wife & 3 kids hello when they pick me up at the airport.
    I have no complaints.

ha, American roadtrips are so uneventful.

Try and go through Bradford at night without any hiccups.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
Lorez- did he ever fix that AE86 up? Those things are drift gods![/quote]

As far as I know he did. We kind of lost touch over the years, and he was always short of cash so it became a really long project. Last I’d heard was he got the (new) engine running, then blew something, and then got it running again. Whether he got the rest of the car up to shape, I have no idea.

My guess though, at this point, he’s made it into a decent drift machine.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

Try and go through Bradford at night without any hiccups.[/quote]
Try to drive through Houston, LA or NY

Houston alone takes over an hour and a half to drive from one side to the other.

I took a road trip with my buddy, from Chicago back to Los Angeles.

We stopped in Colorado Springs to spend a few days with his girlfriend and her family. The drive was brutal, but nothing was worse than getting kicked out when the girlfriend’s dad walked in on them fucking early in the morning.

I was woken up to the sounds of “Max, pack your bag, we gotta GTFO right now !” at 5am.

I drove the fuck outta town in the sweat pants I slept in.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Houston alone takes over an hour and a half to drive from one side to the other. [/quote]

Ever flip off a large group of Pakistanis? Do it in Bradford and find out. They can drive unlike your hoodrats.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Houston alone takes over an hour and a half to drive from one side to the other. [/quote]

Ever flip off a large group of Pakistanis? Do it in Bradford and find out. They can drive unlike your hoodrats.[/quote]

HA!
Who do you think drive the Cabs in NY, LA and Houston?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Ever flip off a large group of Pakistanis? Do it in Bradford and find out. They can drive unlike your hoodrats.[/quote]

Pakis got nothing on a dingy 19 year old girl who is putting on her makeup and texting to facebook in her H3 careening down an on ramp at 70 mph.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Starting last Saturday I took a road trip down to Alabama. I’m not much for longer road trips and usually prefer to fly if possible, but that wasn’t really an option. The wife and I had maybe two days to plan and prepare for it, not much cash on hand for accommodations, and our one year old boy to tend to while traveling.

Once packed up we hit the road with new tires and an oil change, a big bag of snacks, and a thermos full of very strong coffee. All went well enough with directions and navigation. The kid needed to be re-diapered every couple of hours, but that also made for some nice rest stops to get out stretch the legs and decompress. It also extended the time the trip took by quite a lot.

Had a nice stop for the night at around midnight at a Comfort Inn in northern Tennessee, then finished up the drive by mid-afternoon in northern Alabama. Over all not bad, and met some decent and interesting people along the way. One guy was a talent scout for the Colts and was heading down to some smaller southern universities to gather info on some prospects. Travelling with a baby was also a great ice breaker. Many people came up to talk as he toddled around and expended some energy which made the trip more interesting.

Same on the way back too, except an incident at the hotel we stayed at in Kentucky. There was a spazzed out couple in the hotel room below us. After a little observation I surmised they were meth heads so we moved our car away from where they were buzzing around. They next morning I struck up a conversation with the guy as he was milling around the lot and he was lit up like a Pink Floyd concert.

As we were talking a truck pulled in and he walked over, made an exchange, then strolled back. That was my cue to get going and I went back to get packed up and hit the road. Turns out that the guys in the truck were narcs and as we exited the room the place was stormed with state troopers. One started questioning me about why I was there (next to meth dealer) and after a few minutes moved on in the sweep of the place.

After that though, it was smooth sailing back to PA.

So, how do fellow T-Nationers do road trips? What kind of tips, tricks, or tales do you all have from your travels?

Any good strategies for lodging, vehicles, or other various or miscellaneous ways that you go about road trips?
[/quote]

I take my motorcycle, throw clothes in the saddle bags and hiking/climbing gear on the back and roll.

Set up the tent for nights.

if its too cold for camping I sleep in the car since the bike is probably a no-go for travel. or sometimes in that case I roll into hotels with my group if have one. I firmly believe the best road trips are spur of the moment and made up as you go along. I hate having a schedule when I vacation lol. if I feel like it ill change from camping to just sit in a hotel hot tub, or vice versa–sometimes just curl up in a tarp under the sky lol.

if I was home at time of OP I would of hung out with him

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
if I was home at time of OP I would of hung out with him[/quote]

That would have been a good time. I was there for a funeral and really could have gone for an opportunity to break off for a while and just goof off. It seemed like there wasn’t a whole lot to do in Gadsden.

I’ll be back at some point, probably some time next year.