Road Trip (East to Westcoast)

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Tallahassee.

Greatest concentration of hawt chicks in the Ooooonited States of America.

Trust me, I’ve been everywhere, man, I’ve been everywhere.

[/quote]

Awesome and it already lies on the route!

[quote]beerbarbq wrote:
If you are going from NY to Miami you might as well take a tour of DC for a day.

I would visit San Diego before LA.

Avoid Texas.

[/quote]

Okay got to ask why avoid Texas? If he goes to Florida like he plans chances are he will go through Texas.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]kain wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Tallahassee.

Greatest concentration of hawt chicks in the Ooooonited States of America.

Trust me, I’ve been everywhere, man, I’ve been everywhere.

[/quote]

Awesome and it already lies on the route![/quote]

That’s part of the reason I mentioned it.[/quote]

Same reason why I recommended New Orleans.

I already mentioned New Orleans to the guys, but they weren’t really enthusiastic about the idea. I guess the only thing they wanna check out is Las Vegas and the Sapphire.
Anything in middle or north America we should see?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]beerbarbq wrote:
If you are going from NY to Miami you might as well take a tour of DC for a day.

Avoid Texas.

[/quote]

Okay got to ask why avoid Texas? If he goes to Florida like he plans chances are he will go through Texas.[/quote]

Yes that was the plan. Is Texas that boring? We wanted to g through Dallas maybe and get some sympathy points since we’re German like Dirk. I have no idea if that works but it’s worth a shot.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]beerbarbq wrote:

Avoid Texas.

[/quote]

Okay got to ask why avoid Texas? If he goes to Florida like he plans chances are he will go through Texas.[/quote]

I have driven across the country 6 times and can say that just driving through Texas is the worst; it’s long, boring, hot, really boring, really long, really hot. I’m commenting on just the drive and scenery, not the people. New Mexico was kind of cool though.

[quote]kain wrote:
thanks for the replies!
well right now I think we’ll rent a car. But we’re not sure yet.
I guess we could buy a car for ~2000 and sell it again, if we ever reach LA.
Man I really need to calculate this through. Don’t want the trip to be more expensive than it has to be.[/quote]

I’d rent, you could probably find some long term rentals for about $2000, for the time frame your talking about. Trying to buy a car for that kind of money will turn out well. Really cheap cars like that are real pieces of shit. I mean super pieces of shit.
A rental for that kind of money will get you a decent relatively new car, good on gas and has an Air conditioner. Also if it breaks you can call the rental company. If it’s yours and you break down in the middle of nowhere some opportunist mechanic will fuck you relentlessly because you have no choice.

You have to think, you don’t live here, you are unfamiliar with our customs and culture and selling a piece of shit that has 4000 more miles on it then when you bought it will be a giant pain in the ass and will not be done over night.
Bottom line, don’t fuck with an old cheap car for what you want to do. You want to concentrate on your trip, not your car.

I do think you should plan to spend about $2000 on the rental and set aside maybe about $500 for fuel. It may be more than you want and I realize you want to do this on the cheap, but this car is going to be your life line, so don’t skimp on it and you will have a lot more fun when you don’t have the worry.

Anyway, I wish you well on your trip. I hope you have a great time. America is many things good and bad, but one thing is certain it is a absolutely beautiful country. Definitely put Las Vegas on your to do list. Like it or hate it, it’s worth seeing.

And I am jealous! I would love to go with you.
Cheers!

[quote]kain wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]beerbarbq wrote:

Avoid Texas.

[/quote]

Yes that was the plan. Is Texas that boring? We wanted to g through Dallas maybe and get some sympathy points since we’re German like Dirk. I have no idea if that works but it’s worth a shot.

[/quote]

Texas is beautiful. I think it’s worth seeing. Very big, lots of meat, great steaks!

I would plan on mixing in a lot of national parks and nature as well as cities. When you get to New York, do New York. Just don’t get there and leave. Lot’s of shit to do in New York.

Look the U.S. is pretty much the opposite of Europe. Outside of the North East, the cities are a mixture of some good and then horrible bad stuff. Like if you came to Atlanta, GA near where I reside I would recommend you DON’T stay in the city. Unless there is an event downtown, it’s a shithole and dangerous.
Where in Europe, the riff-raff, degenerates, assholes, gypsies and criminals live on the outskirts of the cities in the suburban areas, in the U.S. most of cities contain the criminal element. Like I said that’s outside the north east, Boston, New York, that’s not the case as much.
Now mid U.S. the heartland? It’s a lot of farms and very flat. I am not sure where to direct you, I guess it depends on where you take a on northern or southern route. I do like New Orleans, but you’d pretty much want to stay very near the French Quarter and not venture to far outside of that. New Orleans can be very cool and fun but make no mistake that city is FUCKED UP. You get in the wrong area and it can be very bad. I think in some respects Hurricane Katrina did it a favor. Some areas the cops are afraid to go. But the good spots are great fun and the food is incredible.
Like I said Texas is beautiful and the cities, outside of Houston (it’s not that bad, but it’s not that good either) are nice, but the story in Texas is the nature. I’d suggest hitting a ranch or something, do some horseback riding and seeking out steak. Western U.S. is stunning. I would steer your towards the northern part first and then make your way south. Hit Glacier National park in Montana, then Yellow Stone in Wyoming/ Montana, then work your way up to the Tetons in Wyoming, through the Rockies in Colorado and then work your way west, but do Las Vegas… Defiantly do Vegas and stay on the strip.

I could go on and on…I am so jealous!

Wow Pan thank you so much for all the information!
No, there’s no way I’m going to leave out Las Vegas! We found some offers for 1800-2000$ for a rental car. Plus flights for ~550$ (round trip). So that would be cheaper than we thought.
I hope this works, if one guy bails the whole trip is ruined or we have to find someone else.
I’m really looking forward to this!

International tourists, eh?

Well, I kinda skimmed the thread, so apologies if I missed it, but if you make it to MA we should definitely meet up.

I can show you some of the local sites, maybe squeeze in a quick gym session or two… it’ll be fun!

Plus, I’ve got a really one-of-a-kind basement you just gotta see. Soundproof, plastic-coated, dimly lit and full of miscellaneous surgical equipment… VERY cool stuff.

You know what? Forget I said anything.

Very embarrassing – I forgot you people pioneered the concept of cozy basement clubhouses.

(stay away from Massachusetts. It’s a cold, desolate landscape where dreams go to die. Plus, a large portion of the population here sports an obnoxious accent… total buzzkill)

Visit Chicago if you’re in the Midwest. Lot’s of shit to do in Chicago. As far as city recommendations, here’s what I have:

New York
Boston
Washington D.C.
Miami
New Orleans
Nashville
Chicago
Dallas
San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco.

CS

[quote]anonym wrote:
You know what? Forget I said anything.

Very embarrassing – I forgot you people pioneered the concept of cozy basement clubhouses.

(stay away from Massachusetts. It’s a cold, desolate landscape where dreams go to die. Plus, a large portion of the population here sports an obnoxious accent… total buzzkill)[/quote]

Actually that guy is Austrian. But I try to keep that in mind about Massachusetts

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Visit Chicago if you’re in the Midwest. Lot’s of shit to do in Chicago. As far as city recommendations, here’s what I have:

New York
Boston
Washington D.C.
Miami
New Orleans
Nashville
Chicago
Dallas
San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco.

CS[/quote]

I would throw in Austin (Texas), Salt Lake City or Denver (for the mountains). and Vegas.

I’ve been to the 4 corners of America and my fave cities:

1. San Diego
  2. New York
  3. San Francisco
  4. Austin
  5. Vegas

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]kain wrote:
thanks for the replies!
well right now I think we’ll rent a car. But we’re not sure yet.
I guess we could buy a car for ~2000 and sell it again, if we ever reach LA.
Man I really need to calculate this through. Don’t want the trip to be more expensive than it has to be.[/quote]

I’d rent, you could probably find some long term rentals for about $2000, for the time frame your talking about. Trying to buy a car for that kind of money will turn out well. Really cheap cars like that are real pieces of shit. I mean super pieces of shit.
A rental for that kind of money will get you a decent relatively new car, good on gas and has an Air conditioner. Also if it breaks you can call the rental company. If it’s yours and you break down in the middle of nowhere some opportunist mechanic will fuck you relentlessly because you have no choice.

You have to think, you don’t live here, you are unfamiliar with our customs and culture and selling a piece of shit that has 4000 more miles on it then when you bought it will be a giant pain in the ass and will not be done over night.
Bottom line, don’t fuck with an old cheap car for what you want to do. You want to concentrate on your trip, not your car.

I do think you should plan to spend about $2000 on the rental and set aside maybe about $500 for fuel. It may be more than you want and I realize you want to do this on the cheap, but this car is going to be your life line, so don’t skimp on it and you will have a lot more fun when you don’t have the worry.

Anyway, I wish you well on your trip. I hope you have a great time. America is many things good and bad, but one thing is certain it is a absolutely beautiful country. Definitely put Las Vegas on your to do list. Like it or hate it, it’s worth seeing.

And I am jealous! I would love to go with you.
Cheers! [/quote]

Only thing I would change to this is $500 for fuel is not nearly enough. At around $4/gallon, that’s 125 gallons, 30mpg*125 gallons = 3750 miles which won’t nearly get around the US. On the safe side, I’d reserve a minimum of $2000 for fuel.

New York - San Francisco through Florida is 3800 miles not including any inner city travel. Coming back through Seattle and Chicago is another 3700 miles. Last time I rode down from NY to Austin I went 2500 miles (with not many deviations) where the map said it would be 1800 miles. So you’re looking at about 50% more miles than the map (probably more if you are going to visit more places). That puts it at 11,250 miles. Three people will need a larger vehicle plus city driving probably won’t average 30mpg, so the $2000/15,000 miles estimate is probably cutting it fairly close.

[quote]beerbarbq wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]beerbarbq wrote:

Avoid Texas.

[/quote]

I have driven across the country 6 times and can say that just driving through Texas is the worst; it’s long, boring, hot, really boring, really long, really hot. I’m commenting on just the drive and scenery, not the people. New Mexico was kind of cool though. [/quote]

Okay fair enough not many states have that 836 mile marker.

I second Austin instead of Dallas.

I do not think Dirk will answer the door if you show up, unless you really do know him.

All that is good and pure in the United States lies south of the Mason-Dixon line.