T Nation

Road Trip Cities to Visit

So, I'll have a few free weeks towards the end of July before I move and I'm thinking about going on a road trip by myself. I just got a BMW M3 convertible and I am absolutely smitten by it, so the idea of being on the road by myself mile after mile sounds like a wonderful time. I'll be starting in northern California, and I want to head north to Portland and Seattle and then east to places like Boulder, CO and Jackson Hole, WY.

I think I want to stay on the west-ish part of the country, but could be convinced to head a little further east, but probably not past Chicago. Then head south-ish and head to Sedona, Az perhaps (I've been there before; hopefully by this time, i'll be a certified sky diver and can see the scenery from a new perspective) there.

I'll likely be staying at places through air BnB or couchsurfing and staying at a hotel if need be. I'd prefer to keep it cheaper, but even more so, meet interesting people along the way.

Given that general route (northwest to the midwest to southwest), does anyone have any particular suggestions? Cities? Must-see places?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
So, I’ll have a few free weeks towards the end of July before I move and I’m thinking about going on a road trip by myself. I just got a BMW M3 convertible and I am absolutely smitten by it, so the idea of being on the road by myself mile after mile sounds like a wonderful time. I’ll be starting in northern California, and I want to head north to Portland and Seattle and then east to places like Boulder, CO and Jackson Hole, WY.

I think I want to stay on the west-ish part of the country, but could be convinced to head a little further east, but probably not past Chicago. Then head south-ish and head to Sedona, Az perhaps (I’ve been there before; hopefully by this time, i’ll be a certified sky diver and can see the scenery from a new perspective) there.

I’ll likely be staying at places through air BnB or couchsurfing and staying at a hotel if need be. I’d prefer to keep it cheaper, but even more so, meet interesting people along the way.

Given that general route (northwest to the midwest to southwest), does anyone have any particular suggestions? Cities? Must-see places? [/quote]

How long do you have?

What kind of sights are most important? Rural or urban? National parks?

I could really help you with this, I believe.[/quote]

Thanks, Push.

At the risk of sounding open ended, I am down for both big cities and rural areas! Definitely down for some national parks; was just at Yosemite the other week and loved it. I’ll likely bring some camping gear, so that’s an option. I’ve always though Moab was cool so that’ll probably end up on the list.

(Side - does anyone know where that arch/crevice thing that people rope swing from?! I’ve always wanted to do that…)

As for length, that’s a little open ended as well. I was thinking somewhere around 3ish weeks depending on how much I’m spending at each place. I thought anywhere between one and three (posssibbllyyyy 4, depending on what the place has to offer) nights at each place.

I would head up the coast to Alaska, head east to Banff and south through the Canadian rocky’s. Hit up Glacier NP and continue south through yellowstone towards Colorado.

Twisty mountain roads in a M3 should be on every mans bucket list.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

Twisty mountain roads in a M3 should be on every mans bucket list.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s kinda why I added that - if anyone’s got any particularly fun drives in mind, feel free to add them! I was driving on highway 50 and 89 right around Lake Tahoe the other day and it was a blast.

Push, you are the man! I’m gonna look into those places. I’ll be emailing you in the coming weeks!

Copied, pasted and saved! Good list, Push! Thanks.

In your position, I would check out a Rogue Brewery while in Oregon. Try a fresh Hazelnut Brown, it’s my current favorite.

If you’ll be up that way, don’t miss Mt. Rainier. A friend of mine was stationed at Ft. Lewis while in the Army. He traveled all over the place while he was up there, but always talked most about “climbing” Mt. Rainier.

If you get to Yellowstone, have a drink at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. Or one of those huge log cabin style places. Lakes high in the mountains are good scenery to have some whiskey to.

When I was a kid we once traveled to Lake Powell, UT. The desert was like Mars. We also rented a boat, and spent some time on some portion of the Colorado River, deep in some canyons. It was really memorable as a young kid. I would 2nd getting down there, if you’re just driving around anyway.

Don’t forget the sunscreen.