Road To USAPL Raw Nationals

I’ve been training on and off for the last 6 years (spent 2 years total either injured or not training at all), so more like 4-4.5 years. I’m lifetime drug free, mostly because something inside me desperately wants to sing, and I’ve heard terrible things about vocals and steroids. Fuck. That.

I’m currently training for a USAPL meet in April. Yes I know “derr straps are cheating be a man”. On the same bar I’ve done 540 double overhand, without chalk. This leads me to my first tip,

1. TRAIN YOUR GRIP HARD AND OFTEN

First part of this, for me, means double overhand, chalkless warmups. I swear I’ve heard Ed Coan mention something similar. Regardless, even if, like me, you train a lot in straps, make your warmups hard. Also, I’d say you should play around with some strongman implements. I go to Global Strongman Gym in Manhattan so it’s not a problem; rolling thunder and farmers carries are a main stay in my programming. And not using straps on ANYTHING but pulls.

1. PULL MORE OFTEN
    It needn’t always be heavy, but I’d prefer it be over 80% of your 1RM. Practice makes perfect, and strength is a skill. Also most non-advanced lifters could probably get away with more frequency. I pull every 3 days. EVERY. THREE. DAYS. But I’m 19 and get half decent sleep. So yeah.

2. FRONT SQUAT
    I like to front squat.

I’ve felt that it helps my pull because it hits my glutes and upper back and keeps my upright. I like these for low reps (1-3), but I’m sure higher reps help.

1. GET YOUR HIPS CLOSE TO THE BAR
    This is physics. Reduce the distance between the wight and the fulcrums (knee and hip). Bam, science bitch.

There’s 10x more I could say, honestly. That really depends on your situation and goals, and I have an email address, and I sell coaching and programming. It’s dirt cheap, something to the tune of $75/month for programming with 1 weekly consult. For $250 you have me on tap all day (pretty much), but in general it’s $75 for programming.

Why would you buy that shit though? Why not just do 5/3/1? I mean Wendler shits on me.

Customization. The greatest coach can only put so much in 1 book. He can’t sit and go over individual weak points. As an aspiring operatic baritone, I know that to well. Within my second lesson, I could go up to A4 (low A on treble clef) with ease. Within a few weeks of stopping, it requires effort to get to even C4 (that’s waaaaaaaaaaaay lower for the un-musical).

A trained ear (or eye) makes a difference. I have a ton of books and not one helps me. It’s all general!

You can contact me at karite36@gmail.com to setup a consult. Strength is my thing. Science is my method.

Regardless, this shall be my log that I’ll most likely ignore (not srs).

LOL In.

Ah Quincy, I knew you’d be the first in. Now get some noobs with money in here, I’m poor and need mah singing lessons. MAMMA I WANNA SING!

BW: 102.5

Legends
OH - Double Overhand
MG - Mixed Grip
S - Straps
CG - Close Grip
1kg = 2.2046lb

Belt assumed used unless otherwise specified

Deadlift:
70x3 OH/NB
105x2 OH/NB
140x2 OH/NB
175x2 OH/NB
210x1 OH/NB
230x1 OH
250x1 MG
260x1 MG
290x2 S
265x2x2 MG
212.5x2-2 OH/NB

Front Squat:
70x3
120x3
160x1
200x1 - Pretty Easy, Maybe 90% of today’s max.

Went pretty well. Felt like I had at least 5-10lb more on my deadlift. Maybe I could have struggled a third rep half way up my shin before failing it. Good shit. I’d say next week I’m good for 310x1, but gonna play it safe and go for 307.5x1 and just max reps on my second 87% set (this week was 265, next week is 267.5). Wanna get 5, that’d be stellar.

I’m just getting used to mixed grip again but still hate it. Tried my 250x1 with a double overhand grip today and couldn’t lock out; had to drop it. Oh well. Better luck next week. Forgot to do rolling thunder, so I’ll likely do it on Wednesday after farmers and stone carries.

This makes my speculative training total 260/157.5/310, 727.5

Got 96 days until this meet, I wanna hit fucking 797.5 (285/172.5/340), which is the current USAPL 18-19 American record.

What’s wrong with adding 70kg to your total in 14 weeks? Oh yeah biology :frowning:

Baby steps though, baby steps. We’re all gonna make it.

I’m curious why Jesse Norris isn’t on there? Did he fail a drug test or some shit? He totaled 1850 at 19.

25/15/30 to go.

And to think, Raw Nationals is in October. I wonder what I’ll total for that lol.

Bench:
45x10
95x2x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
255x1
285x1
315x1
345x1
355x0 (Almost Locked Out)
315x3