T Nation

Road to the INBF Hercules

Another year; another contest prep. This year I plan to compete in the INBF Hercules in NYC on June 30th. It is a super pro-qualifier so in order to get a pro card I just need to win my weight class. My goal weight is 175. Although last year I didn’t shoot for a certain weight and just let things fall where they may, this year I’m trying to come in shredded and would rather be the biggest in middle weights than the smallest in light heavy weights (176 cut off).

I’ve already been dieting for nearly 10 weeks. I started my prep at 220 (after a week of pigging out). This was higher than where I wanted to start at, but I enjoyed my off season and was still able to start leaner and lighter than the previous year. In addition to starting from a better place, I’m doing a longer prep (25 weeks vs 16/21 weeks). Currently, I’m about 15 1/2 weeks out and weigh around 203.

Again, I’m working with The Mighty Stu for my contest prep. He’s providing me with my diet and cardio regimen. This year I feel much more comfortable with this whole contest prep, so I’ve taken the liberty of replacing some foods where the numbers match up on certain days. So far, I haven’t struggled at all with the diet and I don’t even feel like I’m dieting (which is a good thing).

I’m doing my own training this year, unlike last year. I’ve incorporated a lot of Christian Thibaudeau’s methodology into my training (HFS, Active Rest, Structural work, etc). I’d be willing to log most if not all of my workouts in here if people are interested. Currently my split is:

Chest/Tris (Medium Carb Day)
Back/Bis (High Carb Day)
Intervals/Abs (Low Day)
Shoulders/Traps (Medium Carb Day)
Legs (Medium Carb Day)
Intervals/Abs (Low Day)
Repeat

I’ll be updating with tons of pics and videos. Feel free to ask any questions about my prep (or life for that matter).

Here’s a compilation to remind people where I started at last contest prep.

Here I am after about 20 weeks of dieting last year.

Just one more photo before bed. I took this last Sunday (16 weeks out) with some flattering lighting. I’ll post the other photos I took with flash and harsh lighting that I use for weekly comparisons tomorrow. This was just more of a fun one. Based on these current photos and the type of progress I made last year, I expect to come into the show looking like this: http://i.imgur.com/nahRO.jpg :slight_smile:

Starting out WAAAAYYY leaner this year, should be a massive improvement over last year. Good work, Thoughts.

I am definitely loving the work and dedication you’re putting forward. Besides the carbs, how else is your diet looking like?

Looking a LOT wider up top, Quads are leaner, even your posing is more confident. You’re gonna smash the competition.

S

It’s hilarious how insanely lean you need to be onstage. I mean, you look awesome in that “before” photo at 203!

Best of luck with your prep. : )

You look awesome, thoughts.
I’m sure you’re gonna do well.

Yessss!

So excited for this.

Looking great right now…looking forward to more updates.

In form some training logs.

[quote]thoughts1053 wrote:

I’m doing my own training this year, unlike last year. I’ve incorporated a lot of Christian Thibaudeau’s methodology into my training (HFS, Active Rest, Structural work, etc). I’d be willing to log most if not all of my workouts in here if people are interested. [/quote]

Yes!

Already looks like youve made some improvements good work.

Definitley looking forward to following this. Best of luck with your prep!

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
In form some training logs.[/quote]

+1 would be cool to see some logs.

Definitely be checking into this, very cool. You look awesome.

Sweet will be following.

Will be following. Good luck man I’m sure you’ll kill it

Your year over year improvement is astonishing.

Your starting point is lightyears ahead of last year’s.

I wish you the best of luck,
-PTD

[quote]Runinrider wrote:
I am definitely loving the work and dedication you’re putting forward. Besides the carbs, how else is your diet looking like? [/quote]

My diet stays pretty similar day to day (mostly to keep it simple). Depending on what I’m training that day, I’ll cycle between low, medium, and high carbs. Carb sources are ezekial bread, oatmeal, and sometimes brown rice.

Protein stays pretty constant around 270g. Sources are chicken, tuna (lately replacing this with egg white muffins - can show pics), cottage cheese, and turkey burgers. Fats are coming from Natural PB, cashews and fish oil.

Also, I always use MAG-10, ANACONDA, FINiBARs, and Surge Workout Fuel for my peri-workout nutrition. Most of my daily carbs come at this time and I feel like it’s made a huge impact on my physique.

Depending on the day, I’ll get from 100 - 150 carbs just around my workout.

Thanks for the best wishes and compliments. Again its good to hear, but I also would like constructive criticism on my physique and posing which is rusty (I’ll get pics up shortly). They’ll be the ones I take with flash so we can look at them critically and compare from week to week. (even though they wash out any cuts I have, lol)

Also, when I get home tonight I’ll put some example workouts from previous weeks up where I incorporated CT’s methods. Currently, I’m doing standard bodybuilding workouts for the next few weeks just for some variation, but I can put those up too.

Whoops. These are older pics I took (from about 18 weeks out). I guess this is a good accident since you can see some progress in the two weeks to my newer photos.

Front Relaxed