T Nation

Road to Strength and Size

Thought I’d sign up and start a log to keep everything together.

Bit of background in case anyone else is reading this. Been training for approx 2 years. Started at 6’1 and 155lbs. Been following a bodybuilding type split for most of this time and am currently 210lbs at 6’1. I’d estimate bodyfat to be around 15%. Only started paying attention to diet for the last few months. Before that, was just eating clean, but not limiting amounts or macros.

Decided I wanted to focus on strength now that I have a semi-decent base to start from. After reading Wendler’s 5/3/1 ebook, I’m gonna be following the programme for as long as I can get results. I’ve never really tested my 1-rep max, so will likely adjust my training maxes for my second cycle.

Diet wise, I’ve found that my body is well suited to intermittent fasting, and will be using this layout:

Training days - 2828 kcal, 200g protein, 354g carbs, 68g fat
Rest days - 1885 kcal, 200g protein, 54g carbs, 96g fat

Once I get to 8-10% bodyfat, I plan to slowly increase the amounts to gain some more size. Will be checking weight and measurements every Sunday.

Day 1, Week 2

Military Press - 40kg x3, 45kg x3, 50kg x4

Barbell Row - 3 sets of 10
Tricep Pushdown - 4 sets of 10

Thoughts - Would normally have done more assistance work, and should have got more than 4 reps on MP, but felt quite weak and had no energy in the gym.

Day 2, Week 2

Deadlift - 95kg x3, 107.5kg x3, 122.5kg x8

Deadlift - 60kg for 3 sets of 10
Leg Curl - 3 sets of 10
Leg Press - 5 sets of 10
Crunches - 3 sets of 20

Thoughts - Felt strong today. I know I still have a long way to go before I can call myself strong, but had loads left in the tank after the deadlifts. Will need to adjust my training max after this cycle. Assistance work felt good, been making a big effort to make my legs a strong point (although strength is the main goal here, I still plan on having a decent physique with bodyfat levels consistantly around 8-10%).

Rest day tomorrow. Will do a little cardio (1.5 mile run) and some stretching.